Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Cacao-dusted red rose petals.

Wet: OH, SO CACAO! The combination is interesting, because you can also smell the rose petals underneath, which are pink-soft and sweet, like Faith (or was it Hope?).

Drydown: There's a too-short period where the two combine together in the most interesting way. I would love to stay in this unique and pretty place, but . . .

After an hour: It's just soft rose with an occasional whiff of cacao if you breathe deeply enough. It's pretty enough and I may keep my imp, but I'm undecided.

Strong throw, longevity.

Honestly I really hoped I wouldn't have to buy any of these roses.

I REALLY love this one. This is the only Luper I've fallen for. Has a strong likeness to The Last Unicorn. The vegetal scent with a little lush, sweet rose...and chocolate. It's lovely. I hadn't smelled TLU in years and this instantly jogged my memory of the chocolate and greenery.

A ton of cacao with a curl of red roses around it. This one is very foodie, ever so slightly rosy. More like a Box of Chocolate scent. Medium throw, average wear length.

This starts out very subtle rose- not an in-your-face rose, like a lot of roses seem to be. The chocolate note is the first to hit when wet, and the roses lend a sweetness and elegance to the background. How did I not realize how delicious roses and chocolate was when paired up together? As it dries, it becomes this delicious rose liquor kind of scent, as the rose becomes more prominent, with the chocolate dancing on the top. I would not call it boozy exactly, but something in my mind thinks of a rose flavored wine when I smell this. Like lying in bed drinking rose wine and eating bon bons....

Wet: I get a buttery Nutella note, which dominates over the rose.

Dry: A grounded rose with a some green notes here and there.

Dry-down: A dark, nutty, slightly earthy rose. The nuttiness smells like a Ferrero Rocher hazelnut chocolate in this phase. I actually had some in the kitchen, so I took one out and sniff-tested them side by side lol.

Average longevity and sillage. I thought that this would smell thin, but the cacao does a nice job of rounding out the sheer rose and giving it some depth. I liked Quatre, but there are so many good ones in this year's Lupers that I'll have to re-test them after they've rested to really narrow down my options.

-ETA: I tested it again after 3 weeks and I like it even more now. The green notes are gone now and I think I'm smelling benzoin in the dry-down. And now it's mostly a sophisticated dry cocoa powder filled out by rose. Unlike the other Une Douzaine de Roses scents that I've tried, the rose note doesn't overpower the other notes.

Edited by RedPersimmon

Ok, so I am fairly sure this is Quatre, though the decant is labelled as Deux. It smells nothing like my decant of actual Deux (which smelled totally like the description) and this smells like chocolate and rose in the vial, so I am going with it! If it turns out I was wrong I will edit my review. Just FYI I got this decant from Ajevie - I have emailed her to sort it out and will update here when I get a response in case it helps others solve their own mystery...

Wet: Chocolate, roses, and...feces. WTF, is there oudh in this? Yeah this smells kind of like diapers. Weird. I like the cocoa and rose combo, but there is this weirdness underneath that is...stanky.

Dry: It actually takes quite a while for the stank to disappear, and then this is exactly what it says on the tin - chocolate and roses. It's quite nice, but I don't picture myself reaching for it over some of the other rose scents I have.

While wet and for a bit after drying, cocoa dominates the rose. As time goes on, I do find that the two balance each other and stays that way until they both fade.

Not the greatest longevity, but I find I don't care as I love this smell so much. This has quickly become one of my favorites.

In short, smells like a stereotypical valentine's day.

Quatre smells awful on me, like someone took a chocolate scented marker and scribbled over a single rose, stem and leaves and all. Chemical chocolate, sour greenery, and sharp rose. Surprisingly sharp and chemical. The chocolate note in this is not agreeing with me, but I usually don't like milk/dark chocolate + rose fragrances (rose and vanilla forever!).

Date: April 2018

In the vial: Right away I get dark chocolate powder/incense and deep red rose. As I suspected, it's very similar to The Orchard. To my nose, there is no bitterness, it is all warm, deep rose. Very unisex but bordering on masculine. Smells amazing to me.

Wet on Skin: Smells like melted chocolate with a little rose hiding underneath. Like hot chocolate coating a rose and heating up the petals. This is a little sweeter than The Orchard (no woods note) very lovely.

Dry 30+ mins: The chocolate s holding steady. The roses are actually a little sweet. This is lovely. I have the cotton swab in the scent locket, and it's almost toasty.

Worn 3+ hours: The rose is pure and perfect. Everything is beautifully blended. This is going to age beautifully.

For me, Quarte starts out strong with lush red rose, slightly dusted with cacao. I love this phase. The drydown is mostly smooth, subtle cacao with barely any rose. Sometimes, my skin eats up rose. If it had stayed the dominate note, I would have to hunt down a bottle! As it is, I’ll just enjoy the decant. Maybe try and extend the rose with with lotioned skin.

Quatre on me starts out foodie, with lots of cocoa powder, then settles into rose --- one of the good roses, a big red rose I can wear -- and cacao in equal measure.  I am not usually a rose enthusiast, and this was gifted me by a generous forumite, but this is really nice.  Unfortunately, on my skin the balance keeps tilting in the rose direction, and the cacao fades substantially after an hour or so.  A really fun scent journey, but being left with rose, even nice rose, is not me. 

This is the rose that's super subtle and soft on me, like in Harlot. It's predominantly rose, but the cacao offers /just/ a bit of sweetness without turning foodie. It's a lovely, "your skin but better" kind of scent. One for my rare girly/pretty moods; might have to hunt down a bottle.