Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Red rose petals dusted with a trove of ancient spices.

I always love the spicey rose blends, and this one is no exception. Here the rose and spices blend into something sophisticated and lovely; in fact, this reminds me of something that I can't quite put my finger on. It has a very classic feel to it, and would be appropriate for the office as well as a night out on the town.

Wet: Sour, dusty rose with a hint of (indistinguishable) ancient spices.

Dry: Getting a little honey in the background, although this is not a sweet blend. Smells like an old classic, like one of my mom's eau de parfums that she's had for decades. It's quite lemony-sour and I get a tiny bit of creaminess in the way, way back. This is Alice's less ebullient aunt.

Medium-strong sillage. Average longevity.

Edited by RedPersimmon

Yellow rose with tinges of spice, honey, and patchouli. This one is a complex rose and like if Plunder and Spellbound had a rose love child. Good throw and wear length.

Wow, this one barely smells like roses at all, really- it is lurking in the background (and I usually amp rose), and is just covered in a thick layer of the most exotic, incensey spices. When wet, it pretty much smelled like straight up spicy incense. I am really having a hard time identifying a specific spice upon drydown, though I suspect there may be some clove and cardamom lurking in there somewhere?

As this dries down further, I am definitely getting a vague Morocco kind of vibe happening over here. It also (surprisingly) seem to be leaning toward being a somewhat masculine (or at least unisex) blend.It is a very clean and rugged kind of spicy happening....

Edited by mystery213

Emphasis on the "ancient" rather than on the spices--Deux gives me a definite "Egyptian sacred funereal oils" vibe. I'm pretty sure there's myrrh in this, which comes out really strongly on me, and rose obviously, as well as whatever incense note always smells a little soapy to me (it's also in Thanatos and in 7 Word Story: Lust). There's enough myrrh that it feels mournful; the most similar oil I can think of is This World, Where Death Reigns. It's not quite what I was looking for in a Luper, but it really is quite beautiful and might find its true calling during the fall or winter. Probably a decant keeper, but I don't need a big bottle.

This is an "oh hell no" for me, which is unfortunate because both rose and spice usually go so well on me. It's probably the incense note causing all the havoc, as that's hit-or-miss with me.

It smells nice in the imp, but it goes to old lady soap the second it touches my skin, and stays that way :( Specifically that carved-rose-ball old lady soap tho, so it's not the worst soap.

I love the idea of a spicy rose scent!

Wet: REALLY exotic spices (much more savoury that gourmand spices) with incense. I don't get any rose at all, initially. It does smell sort of "antique" and is very interesting. Exotic.

Dry: I can't really say that I like this - more so that I appreciate the artistry of it, however its just not me. The spices smell sort of...old, like they have lost their potency. The rose is non-existent on me. It's interesting, and pleasant, nonetheless, but I just am not into it, for whatever reason. Glad to have tried it though!

On me, almost all I got was the spices, with a little bit of honey to bring it to the sweet side. I barely smelled the rose at all.

It is a strong scent on me and lasted a while as well.

this smells very classic, as others have mentioned. starts with a bold but dusty rose. it smells just like a classic scent i've smelled before, but i can't place it. the spices are not distinguishable to me. after awhile the rose seems to become less dusty, slightly more fresh, and the spices are blending better at this point. i do like spicy rose scents and this one doesn't disappoint. i am liking the classic vibe. not sure it's a keeper, just because i have a lot of spicy rose and rose scents, but possibly.

On me, this smells like a little dish of rose scented hand soaps next to a dish of old, dusty, cinnamon potpourri. The rose comes off as very sharp, sour, perfumey, and soapy, mixed with very dusty, dry spices. This is a scrubber for me.

I've tried this twice with drastically different results. There's something in here reminiscent of a red oudh..like some kind of wood that goes sour when 1st applied.

2nd application, I'd have to totally agree with the egyptian vibe. Deep egyptian musk smell with a rose background. Interesting and confusing and I'll probably be seeking a bottle.

Second this hit my skin I knew it was doom for me.

It's weirdly dry. Not the rose I expected. Not lab's lush red note like in Hope or the new fuzzy handcuffs. This is like dried roses?

There are spices in this but they're not warming on me like I usually do with spice (not Bengal, for example). There's a note in here that's keeping things from being the beautiful spiced rose I expected. Something basement-esq (which is my super unhelpful description like when people say kitty litter or old lady. Apologies).

When I let it sit a bit and sniff again it hits me - this is either vetiver or myrrh. Unfortunately I haven't learned these scents from each other yet enough to tell you which. But one of em. So, off to swappies with this one.

Date: April 2018

In the vial: soft rose, with a little herbal spice and something that reminds me of glue.

Wet on Skin: I get roses and herbs. It's a little dusty, a little tea (like before it's brewed). It is turning into a gentle incense rose. Starting to lighten up and becoming like Rose Cross.

Dry 30+ mins: Gentle rose, gentle spice and nothing that really impresses me.

Worn 3+ hours: It's all but faded, but a lightly herbal rose. Once again, a nice scent, but not entirely what I'm looking for.

Even softer than Neuf...ghostly whispers of rose petals, with hints of vanilla and saffron. I'm not sure what the "ancient spices" are otherwise. It's a little too faint and delicate for me.

Deux was given to me by the lovely and generous Teamama.  I wonder if this is tea rose -- it's definitely one of the roses that doesn't work on me.  Sour rose and dusty spices. Maybe some saffron and nutmeg?  And I see other reviewers think there is myrrh in here, and I would tend to agree. Rose rarely agrees with me, and this is not one of those times.