Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Casablanca

The Pleasure of Aristocratic Women

Honeyed amber, teakwood, almond, and coconut.

Sweet coconut-speckled amaretto!

Lab almonds tend to turn to amaretto on me: not boozy, but the almond syrup sense of an amaretto. This becomes a buttery amaretto swirled with freshly shredded coconut.

The honeyed amber is also a player, adding a lot of smooth, almost creamy warmth. Even in the top phase I get a hint -- a grounding influence -- of the teak I love.

This is a tropical beach vacation scent: a novel almondy drink served in a coconut shell under a frond-thatched, teakwood bar.

Dang it!! I wanted exactly what Casablanca got... that's indeed what it smelled like in the imp, with a very sharp almond/amaretto that I assumed would dry down to a lovely scent on skin. What I got was soap. Stupid chemistry.

I've been maniacally slathering this. The almond burns off quickly, hence reapplication is happening like... once an hour. :blush:

I tend to mega-amp teakwood so my review is a little skewed...but if you blast woods into space far beyond Carl Sagan's golden record, straight to alien olfactories... then read on.

Wet: Fruity almond and lots of teakwood! Glossy, liquer-ish, golden, sweet honey. Yum.

Drydown:Shiny shiny teakwood, golden honeyed amber, almond extract, a bit of bouncy coconut. Glowy! I love it. :wub2:

1 hour later: Ok this is where it gets annoying.... I can smell it on *everything* else but me. Like clothing, bedding, THE CATS. Everywhere but me. I'm chasing the scent around like a police dog scouring a massive shag rug for a crack rock. Yes, I've picked up the cats and smelled them. Yes, I went through all 8 pillows and smelled the whole..I mean whole.. bed. This is a first. *hurmf*

Edited by SophieCedar

When I had my engagement party, I was given a punch with apricot brandy in it. This smells like it plus coconut with drunk amber in the background. I am sad. Another Luper fail.

Wet: Coconut and almond at the forefront. Honeyed amber and teak wood bring up the back end.

Dry-down: Teak wood alternates with honeyed amber and adds a smooth, spiced warmth. Got waxy at one point, and turned into spicy teak crayons. Lone survivor at the end was the teak.

Didn't think it lasted too long on me, but it's hard to tell because all the notes vibrate at a similar, low level. I slathered in the beginning because I couldn't smell my usual dab on the pulses and ended up with a headache.

Coconut, almond, and amber. This is a sweet amaretto and coconut amber-based blend. Good throw and wear length.

Yep.

Definitely a sweet amaretto, coconut beauty on my skin. It's quite pretty in it's subtlety and therefore it's one that you may need to slather every now and then. I like it. But I think a decant is enough.

Edited by Haltija

Wet: All coconut and almond all the time. A touch of sweetness. The wood note adds depth to the coconut/almond without being prominent.

As it dries the coconut and almond (which play surprisingly well together) calm down and the wood note is more noticeable in the blend. I’m not getting much sweetness but it’s also not “dusty” or “husky” which I often get with coconut and I attribute that to the honeyed amber. Light sillage and my skin appears to be eating it, but a fairly smooth creamy blend without being foodie will make it worth it for some folks!

hmm, not what i expected. at least at first. i get almond and coconut and something fizzy. wherever could that fizziness be coming from?! this is a very subtle scent, i can hardly smell it on me. *slathers more on* the amber and teakwood seem to be subtle background singers in this. after slathering, the almond seems stronger a bit longer but then i get the fizziness again, kind of like the lab's champagne note. i get almond and champagne and maybe a hint of coconut. after about 10 more minutes i get more teakwood, then it fades to a honeyed fizz and is nearly gone.

These notes are all favourites except for the almond, which is typically super strong on me but then disappears, so hoping this will be a big win! Smells like straight up almond in the bottle.

Wet: Super sugary honeyed almond. With something sort of clean and cottony in the background. Weird, but quite pleasant! The almond is already fading.

Dry: This dries down to a lovely sort of clean sweet amber fragrance with a touch of teak. Reminds me a bit of a couple of the other Lupers this year that I like a lot -must be a similar amber note. Anyway, I ADORE amber, so this is a keeper for me. Not what I was expecting, but will be keeping and loving the bottle.

The Pleasure starts out with a blast of honeyed almond, love this note but it never lasts on me (see Six), though it doesn't completely disappear here. This settles down into a blend I knew I'd love. There was a point in the drydown, about a half hour in, when the teak went a little high-pitched and perfumey, but that didn't last long, and now, another hour in, it is a skin scent of amber, coconut and almond goodness. I wish it had a little more staying power, but age may improve that.

I was super excited about this as the combination of notes should be really nice on me. Wet, it is all in-my-face almond, with nothing else. On the dry-down, the honey and coconut come through, but they are overlying a bitter, almost skunky note. I don't know what in the world is doing that or what combination of things is going off, but it is really disappointingly not working.

I really like this wet. I get the honeyed amber and coconut, which is a really nice combination. Dried to teakwood, with a touch of buttery coconut. It's not bad, but not something I'd seek more of. If it had stayed the way it was wet, then yes.