Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Blue lilac, white sage, orris root, sweet pea, a smear of crushed blueberry, and tobacco leaf.

Very lilac when wet. A beautiful, light and sweet lilac. There's a hint of fruitiness. This reminds me of Blue Flasher, with its slightly berry floral. The blueberry is not terribly potent, though. A hint of squishy blue juice! There's a streak of brown-gray smoke, the tobacco adding a little darkness and depth. I can also smell a bit of a powdery sparkle, clay-like, but lighter. Must be the sage and orris! I think there are kisses of sweet pea dancing about as well. This is very complicated. Lilac lovers should try this. And if you liked Blue Flasher, you should definitely give this bolster a whirl.

In the Bottle:

Lilac underscored by blueberry at first sniff and a tiny bit of sweet pea at the back

On the Skin:

Beautiful lilac and some huskiness from the tobacco but only gently supporting the blend. Blueberry not that prominent but it gives a general, vague fruitiness.

On the Drydown:

The sage really emerges a short way into the drydown but it's not aggressive, just adding a less sweet note to add some character. The blueberry and sage component are just genius - the blueberry wafts in and out and the sage adds some sophistication. Really like this

ETA: the extreme drydown is very dry with lilac floating over the top. Lovely!

Edited by galahad

In the bottle

The first thing I get is slightly herbal lilac, with some blueberry in the background. This is a very "blue" and wet scent. Really pretty.

Wet on skin

When first applied to my skin, the florals are a lot stronger than anything else. The lilac still takes center stage, here, and a bright blue lilac is what comes to mind. It's tempered a little with something else so it's not a sweet lilac, but still very blue. This has really good throw while wet.

Dry on skin after 30 minutes

Lilac is still the most prominent note, but the drydown is more complex and a bit softer. I can get a bit of the blueberry.

Thoughts

Definitely not what I was expecting! I thought this would be heavier on the blueberry, but my skin is amping up the lilac. It's still really pretty and I will be keeping the bottle. No regrets. I enjoy it.

On wet, there's a giant hit of blueberry/lilac fruitiness. This dries down to lilac-tobacco dominant blend, with just blueberry flirting about the edges. I am, in fact, getting a ton of lilac from this. Not at all what I expected. Medium throw and wear length.

Edited by zankoku_zen

Wet: Lilac, and a sort of candied blueberry scent. There's something weird around the edges of the lilac, I can't really pinpoint it, but I could smell it straight out of the bottle. It made me wonder if there was jasmine in this, as it mostly smells like pee. It's not quite the cat pee scent of jasmine though, more like "kids sits on your lap and promptly pees their pants" pee (yes, that happens to me. My job is super glamorous.) Combined with the blueberry candy scent, the imagine I am getting is very childlike, but not in a god way. This is doing weird things on my skin - I blame orris and sage, both of which are iffy on me.

Dry: This goes through a nice lilac and fruit phase before settling into a mostly blueberry (very sweet blueberry, maybe more like jam than candy? Either way, not fresh blueberry) with just a hint of lilac. Thankfully, no pee. Still, not something I would reach for. Glad I got to try it though!

I expected this scent to be a winner for me because, separately, all the notes are. Sweet pea was the only exception

if it appeared too up front and cloying. Not to fear, she's twined in the fence well behind the lilac, who is the star here.

That said, I'm particular about lilac. For me, it's reminiscent of homecomings. Every place I've ever called home

has had lilac hedges or at least a bush or three. I'm not enamored with the pinker/redder lilac varieties, or the way it can

lean into cherry territory (as in many dragon's blood blends). But a true-blue lilac supported by blueberry & tobacco,

dusted by orris and edged with sage... Yes! :thumbsup:

Really well blended, florals take the lead and hold it, then soften a bit in the dry stages cozying up to a powdery orris

and graced with occasional wafts of sweet blueberry. Very springlike, but this will get a lot of love :wub2: from me throughout the year.

It captures the essence of turning off of the pavement, onto a gravel lane-- the contentment of heading back again

to a place you've (always?) known and one where you'll always feel welcome. :hug:

This starts out strongly blueberry smelling but that note quickly moves to the background, then fades completely. While it lasts though it is a lovely blueberry, very realistic, plump and fruity. What it leaves behind when it vanishes though is a lovely spring blend. A mix of florals, very pretty and interesting, surprisingly pale. The sweet pea is very pretty, pale pink, almost a touch fruity in it's own way. The lilac is surprisingly unique, unlike other lilac notes I've smelled in BPAL perfumes before. This lilac is sweeter, with a hint of a green note, and kind of pale and even dusty in feel. It's very pretty. The orris butter adds a nice light white-floral-ish base without overpowering the other florals. The tobacco adds a hint of earthy warmth, more present on wrist sniff than in the throw. The sage starts off quiet but becomes stronger with time, and it's very lovely. It never becomes stronger than the florals, but gets more on their level. Sweet, herbaceous, pretty. Medium throw and wear length. This smells so nice and makes a lovely spring scent.

I've treasured my decant for quite a while. The elements hold over time, which is wonderful. So, you can expect relatively the same experience aged as you see in these older reviews from when 1st issued.

Wistful blue airy sweet floral. Distinctly blue lilac. There's no escaping the combo of ultraviolet and apertif wine-like lilac. White sage, in its astringently herbal uplifting way, is still powerful- clearing my brain fog and worry this morning, which I'm greatful for. Sweet pea gives a fresh air summer feel. Tobacco is a nice earthy ground. Orris? Not smelling much until drydrydry-down. The combined elements give the perception of actually smelling a blueberry bush in a garden. A scent that wonderfully defies nature in all the ways I wish could happen in Maine..as lilac peaks in June and blueberry in late August.

Edited by SophieCedar