Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
JazzieCazzie

Fortuna Tranquilla

The Fortune of the Seas

A hymn to calming lifes storms and a blessing of serenity and level-headedness: champaca blossom and jasmine with a curl of lavender.

When I read the notes here, it reminded me SO much of my very first BPAL buy and BPAL love, Twilight (which was lavender, jasmine and honeysuckle rather than champaca), and I have found champaca blossom to be my favorite new BPAL note, that I could not resist getting this and I am SOOOOOO happy I did!!!

IN THE BOTTLE: YES!!! Definitely has the same aura that Twilight had for me all those many years ago (in fact, this inspired me to buy a new bottle of Twilight LOL!) ... somehow it's lush and beautiful and floral but without being all "in your face" ... a subtle and amazing loveliness.

Applied to one wrist and in the crook of one arm, as I like to have a dry spot and a "moist" spot because they sometimes dry down differently.

WET: OMGOMGOMG so perfect. For me, the champaca just blooms off my arm and embraces me in its warm, sweet (but not TOO sweet) embrace, lush and delicious. I know I keep using these "foodie" terms for a blend that is decidedly not foodie, but it's almost edible in its sweet perfection, not unlike the honey from honeysuckle. It's very much THERE but without being too strong or in your face.

DRYDOWN: Sweet in the best possible way but also so complex ... the lavender sits in the back like "don't mind me, I'll shut my mouth but I'll be sure to keep the others in line" in a perfect way. It's unbelievably huffable.

OVERALL: I know there are people who are not jasmine fans ... I happen to love jasmine, but know that sometimes it can just crash the party and take over and be all in your face. THIS jasmine does not do that. It hangs out with its sweet buddy champaca and wafts gloriousness all over the place.

This is a perfectly purple and beautiful and complex blend and absolutely a new favorite for me!

Now, if only the Trading Post would complement this with a bath oil, all would be perfect!

relatively simple, but absolutely lovely. three notes that work together in harmony - none overpowering the other, just complementing. the lavender is strongest when you open the lid and sniff the bottle, but it mellows out on the skin. the jasmine is not cloying - it's a herbal/tealike jasmine. in fact, while wearing this fragrance, i felt like i was drinking a cup of jasmine tea in a room with champaca incense burning, a window open to the lavender garden just outside. it doesn't change or morph very much while on the skin. it's beautiful, calming, and serene.

Champaca, jasmine, and lavender are three of my favorite notes, so I had to bottle this. I shared it with a friend last night.

On her wrist: Strongly lavender. A serene, balanced herbal-floral lavender, with an almost vanillic champaca warmth along the edge, on a dim other-floral backdrop.

On my wrist: More evenly champaca and lavender, with champaca just slightly stronger. The jasmine is also very subtle on me, and is like some vague floral scenery.

An hour later, it's mostly a soft champaca on me.

This Fortuna is tranquil. I'll probably want a backup.

Wet: Really gorgeous lavender (the sweet, heady kind I adore, that smells almost like lavender sugar) mixed with incensey champaca. The effect is really interesting! Not getting any jasmine, which is fine by me. I never would have tried this, but my decantress included a tester. I am surprised at how much I am liking it. That lavender note is AMAZING.

Dry: I am surprised, I really do like this! Nose to skin it's all about that gorgeous sugary lavender note. The throw is almost all soft champaca. It's really interesting. I can't imagine wearing it, but really glad I got to try it. If you love lavender and champaca, give it a go - they are not weird together at all (I totally expected them to be weird together).

Edited because I hit post before I was finished.

Edited by LizziesLuck

What a great blend! The lavender seems like it's going to be most prominent, both in the bottle and initially on the skin, but all three notes harmonize perfectly. I know folks have mixed feelings about jasmine -- I, too, have mixed feelings about jasmine -- but it's a softer, more subtle jasmine here, tempered by the champacha and lavender. Minimal throw, and seems to fade too quickly, however this is my favorite of the Fortunas so far.

I get a ton of champaca and jasmine from this, and maybe a whiff of lavender. It's a very soft jasmine though. It smells like clean air and calm. This would make a great room scent IMO. Great throw and wear length.

I get a whiff of lavender, but it seems to be mostly champaca to me. It's OK, but it's also not a "me" scent. May need to resell.

Wow, this one is so not me I'm not sure I'll even be able to skin test. I do like lavender, but in this case it is overwhelming and the champaca and jasmine combine to heady sweet but also a bit funky (no doubt the jasmine, which I usually like). Together it is just a mass of over-the-top floral for me--I can't quite bear to put it on.

Thanks to ZZ for sending me empties to sniff, but I think this one will not end up on me!