Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
lady_pandora

Fortuna Obsequens

The Fortunes of Love and Beauty

A hymn to romance and glamour, passion and virility, seduction and delight: red roses and blood musk enveloped in a haze of blackcurrant, red patchouli, leather accord, and black oudh.

Mmm, this is a velvety haze of all kinds of sexy red things. The notes are really well-blended here, and the overall effect is kind of smoky, kind of winey (maybe the blackcurrant?), kind of musky. I was worried the red musk would predominate on me, but so far so good.

I wish I picked up the same notes. I mostly get just rose with a hint of red musk in the background. Still too heady for me to enjoy.

This JUST came in the mail today, and it's freezing out, and I shouldn't be testing this, but with Lupers imminent, I am trying to decide on some ride along bottles.

Wet: Patchouli. Dry, dirty patchouli. All those glorious notes, and I get basically "dirt" out of it. Then the poo creeps in. I forgot this had oudh in it. Dammit, I picked the wrong thing to test!! This is not going well for me so far - I am getting dirty, woody poo.

Dry: OK this dries down to much more of what I was hoping for! Like a mix between Black Moths and Lucille Sharp or something. Musk and fruit and roses, with just a hint of patchouli. Sexay! That being said, I do have Black Moths and Lucille, so not really sure I NEED this...it's not about need though, is it? ;)

This dries down to a sharper patchouli-floral than I was hoping for. It's very well blended, and very nice! It just has that bite on the back end that patchouli can have. I was hoping the musks and fruit would balance that out more, but this'll be one to age and revisit to see if they do after a while.

I love a jammy rose! Obsequens is a bright, flashy, sexy red rose. I'm getting a red musk with red rose-fresh and virile...slightly sweaty on the dry down. The patchouli and leather are very faint, just making the scent feel more mature, a faint shadow. I find this to be a very modern rose perfume, and enjoy it much more than many.

Red roses, oudh, with sweaty patchouli-leather. This reminds me to a cross between Whip and Loviatar, but if they had some weird dirt match in it. Good throw and wear length.

Very rose prominent, with a slight edge of darkness. its very soft and gentle and close to the skin. I imagine a woman with many secrets to wear this. Lovely, but for special occasions

Bpal's oud and red patchouli both tend to go funky on me (the first smelling like fecal matter and the latter smelling like sweaty men), and there's enough of both in this to make this smell dirty and wrong on my skin. Other than that, I'm getting perfumey, sharp red rose and the fruity/red wine and slight spiciness of the blood musk.

Hooooo! So on initial sniff, I got a swirling miasma of acrid, bitter, tart cow manure, (Thanks oudh :eek: ) and I thought to myself, well THIS was a mistake. BUT -

It smooths out pretty quick on my skin, and I'm finding I really dig it. It's "lusty" smelling. The oudh fades to the background rapidly, just lending a grounding and animalic quality to the whole, which is what oudh does when it decides to behave itself for me. The mix of black currant and rose makes for a full, sweet, tart red rose that I find an interesting departure from the typical, dewy or perfumey red rose blend. I don't really get leather, though often I don't. I'm guessing it just adds to the warm, grounded vibe this has. The blood musk and red patch add a gritty, incense vibe, while also lending to the over all lived in feel of this blend.

This has sex written all over it, and though I'm not sure I would wear it often enough to need a bottle, I will definitely be taking my imp out now and then. :)

So in summary - Lusty, animalic, tart rose. Delicious, but not for the faint of heart. The White Witch's sluttier sister. ;)

Edited by VetchVesper

Black oudh is not my friend. It's running roughshod all over Fortuna Obsequens, even an hour after application. Terrific throw, of course. If I get close to my wrist, I can smell a wanton red rose and a little leather and patch partying behind oudh's back (amazingly, the oudh has shut the blood musk down). But the oudh just dominates the throw. Not for my skin chemistry.