Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Thorny red roses swirled with mandrake accord, bois de rose, ambrette seed, and khus.

Fresh from the mailbox!

This goes on very bitter. Once it dries down, it's predominantly rose with a bit of dark woodiness underneath. This is the rose of Peacock Queen, refined and regal instead of a lush or innocent rose. The whole blend reminds me of Peacock Queen but a little darker and more complex. The throw is light.

It's a nice addition to my BPAL rose collection. I have already have Peacock Queen, but I think I like this better.

Dark woody roses, with a touch of ambrette. I agree with the assessment that it reminds me to a Peacock Queen, but gothier. Light throw, great wear length.

Mmmm. Though I love Peacock Queen, I cannot wear it because it goes sharp on my skin. This is a supremely wearable rose, remniscient of the regal Peacock Queen, but tempered with the addition of ambrette, I believe. Gorgeous, gorgeous.

I keep moving Briar Rose in and out of the swaps box. I can't make up my mind what I think of it! It's definitely a challenging blend. You do kind of have to get through the briar-hedge to get to know this one.

It starts out bitter, dusty, kind of dank. Khus is vetiver, and it's strong in the opening. This is a rose locked up in the tower, or buried in the root cellar with the witch's herbs. At this stage I'm really appreciating the craft of it, liking it conceptually, but not necessarily wanting to smell like it myself.

And then it blooms. It turns into a lovely soft rose with just a hint of the dusty/basement thing, and the whole thing goes faint for a while, and as time goes on, it gathers strength again and I would even say it becomes a sweetened rose, reminding me, of all things, of Pink Fuzzy Handcuffs, which I've been wearing a fair amount lately. Is this the ambrette? The mandrake? I'm not sure I know what either of those really smells like.

Where do I wear this? On what occasion shall I smell like a basement for an hour and then sweet rosy heaven for the rest of the evening? Briar Rose confuses me, but I think I'd regret parting with her!

At first I got a dusty, almost powdery rose which has settled into a woody scent.
This is that beautiful rich rose of Peacock Queen. My skin chemistry has absorbed almost all of the other notes leaving a slightly woody rose behind. I believe it's a light throw, but I've seen that it has grown for others over time.

Right now, it's not a type of rose I'll keep in my collection, but it was amazing to try.

Oh my gosh this is nice! I was afraid of the khus/vetiver note, but it's not the Lab's usual peanutty vetiver. This goes on bitter wood + pink rose, then quickly smooths out with rose being creamier than expected. I would almost swear there is a vanilla kinda thing going on back there. Layers gorgeously with a Garden Dirt SN oil I have. 

Wow wow wow, this worked out way better than anticipated, possibly even backup worthy. I should pay more attention to these retail exclusives.

RoseThornAndOak votes yae. ❤️

Couple years later and still going strong. I think the ambrette is what is giving that vanilla like sweetness with a touch of maple. This is stunning and fits the theme perfectly. It's like a sweet, woodland, autumn rose. :wub2: 

Edited by RoseThornAndOak

At first sniff, Briar Rose is a dusty late summer bloom, recalling somnolent stories of crumbling castles bound with prickling vines, charred spinning wheels, and moth-eaten slumber. It blossoms, furiously, into a full blown curse, ripe with lemon, berries, and anise, and finally wilts with the trembling fear of sleep and the scent of crushed, desiccated petals, marking the page of a terrible tale that all too often is more true than we can dream.

I both really like it & simultaneously want to put it up for sale because once on my skin it is SO STRONG. This hardly happens to me but it’s causing a headache that is making me teeth hurt. 

I think this need to be left alone for a bit & I’ll try again. But I do agree with the Peacock Queen comparisons, though for me this is very much a red rose with water drops & a mess of briars, vines, & some unknown blossom hidden in there (something that makes me thing of carnation)