Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Shollin

Similarities Between BPAL Scents - GC and general discussion

My first thought would be Mad Hatter. And, since Dracul is all about that gorgeous black musk on me, I would try a few other black musk blends, like Black Forest or Haunted.

I just realized that Brimstone is very similar to Muladhara :-D And while I find M. an amazing meditation focus, I can't really wear it for the scent as that "hammy" note is just too weird for perfume. Brimstone, on the other hand, seems to have a trace of the weird note, but then lots of wonderful smelling soothing vetiver and pine resin and other such things, so works as the "perfume" version of Muladhara. And it's cheaper. ;-)

anyone knows of O variants? I like how it smells so absolutely honey-ish on me. sadly, it dries to a powdery sort of scent. it's the best i've tried so far. i'm not sure if it's the amber, the honey or the vanilla but it's good! is O like snake oil? or eat me? eve, though full of honey as wel, smells possitively vile on me.

would love to know other O a likes.

big big thank you.

I second the mention of Bengal; it's much spicier than O, but it has the same yummy honey note.

Also Jezebel might be up your alley. And Regan--no honey in that, at least according to the site, but on me it was very honeyish.

I'd second the Mad Hatter suggestion. Very similar to Dracul, to my nose, but not as "dark". I honestly prefer the Dracul to Mad Hatter because it's darker, more tobacco-y, but like them both quite a lot.

I know there's batch variation occasionally, so I don't know if this still holds true, but Black Dahlia (from 2004) and Fallen (from 2005) smell very similar on me.

start of Bayou is surprisingly rather like O on me; lots of warm honey. It dries down to (as you might imagine!) powerful sleepy Southern florals that are distant cousins to Hell's Belle...

anyone knows of O variants? I like how it smells so absolutely honey-ish on me. sadly, it dries to a powdery sort of scent. it's the best i've tried so far. i'm not sure if it's the amber, the honey or the vanilla but it's good! is O like snake oil? or eat me? eve, though full of honey as wel, smells possitively vile on me.

big big thank you.

I second the mention of Bengal; it's much spicier than O, but it has the same yummy honey note.

Also Jezebel might be up your alley. And Regan--no honey in that, at least according to the site, but on me it was very honeyish.

Bijoux has much of the same green honey note of O on me. Others you may want to try are Skuld, Chimerea, and Snake Oil. DH says that SO is more "powdery" than O...

I strongly second the Jezebel rec. On me it is O plus rose (and a good rose at that! usually rose turns sharp on me but not here).

I've had a few that I can't tell the difference between, or are extremely similar. Hopefully it's not a problem with my nose.

"Spellbound" and "Lust" smell identical to me when they are wet and only change slightly on drydown.

I can't tell the difference between "Red Lantern" and "Hearth"

And yesterday i put Aizen Myoo on one hand and Sea Of Glass on the other. Extremely similar to me. Slight difference on drydown but not much. It's like sea of glass is a slightly more floral version of Myoo or myoo is a slightly more fruity version of sea of glass.

Am I going crazy?

I've had a few that I can't tell the difference between, or are extremely similar. Hopefully it's not a problem with my nose.

"Spellbound" and "Lust" smell identical to me when they are wet and only change slightly on drydown.

I can't tell the difference between "Red Lantern" and "Hearth"

And yesterday i put Aizen Myoo on one hand and Sea Of Glass on the other. Extremely similar to me. Slight difference on drydown but not much. It's like sea of glass is a slightly more floral version of Myoo or myoo is a slightly more fruity version of sea of glass.

Am I going crazy?

They probably just do very similar things on you. Aizen Myoo and Sea of Glass are absolutely nothing alike on my skin, but Hymn to Proserpine and Midnight Mass are nearly identical. And Purple Phoenix smell exactly like Haunted on me, which really should not be possible from the ingredients. Noses and skin are weird :-)

What other scents would you recommend? I'm trying to enable a friend to BPAL and she loved Spellbound so thought I might be able to entice her into ordering some other things as she wants a bottle of that. Thanks in advance!

What other scents would you recommend? I'm trying to enable a friend to BPAL and she loved Spellbound so thought I might be able to entice her into ordering some other things as she wants a bottle of that. Thanks in advance!

Oh that's one of my favorites, too :P and I think the key for her will be, like for me, the red musk.

These are others I like that are in the same vein:

Dragon's Musk

Scherezade

Fenris Wolf

Loviatar (I can't wear this because leather notes don't like me, but she may do well with it)

Debauchery (caveat: I can wear civet. Some people can't.)

Lust

I completely agree with all of Juniperus Intrepidus' recommendations. All of these have been loves to some extent of mine and Spellbound was my first BPAL love. :P Scherezade and Loviatar are two full sizes I own and adore.

A couple of others maybe:

Blood Rose (red rose with red wine and dragon's blood resin) ~ This reminds me a little of the incense from Spellbound along with the grapey red wine note from Lilith, and a touch of the sweetness from Persephone. It's all round darker though.

And speaking of Persephone, if she likes a fruitier rose, this could be worth a go too.

*furiously scribbling recs*

Thank you so much!

Darn, too bad I actually gave away my Persephone as it didn't like me very much, but the only one I have out of that list to tempt/enable her is Blood Rose so I'll try that on her, hahaha!

If you can find it: Chrysanthemum Moon. It's heady and "perfumey" like Spellbound. From the GC, your friend may like Vechernyaya.

Black Rose has the same ingredients as Spellbound (rose, musk, amber) but in different proportions - I find it to be rosier, whereas Spellbound is more with the musk/amber. But if your friend likes Spellbound she might like Black Rose, too. (I love them both!)

This isn't really an LE.... but I've found that Mama-Ji and the Frumious Bandersnatch smell very similar on me.

I guess my comparison is more of an unimpable vs an imp-available scent.

I've recently been rediscovering how incredibly much I love Xiuhtecuhtli. It's a many-layered scent, on me; woody base, a little bit incensey, and slightly sweeter, fruitier notes on top.

Any suggestions on other scents (preferably GC, but I'm open to anything that's not dc'd) I could try that are similar? :P

I've recently been rediscovering how incredibly much I love Xiuhtecuhtli. It's a many-layered scent, on me; woody base, a little bit incensey, and slightly sweeter, fruitier notes on top.

Any suggestions on other scents (preferably GC, but I'm open to anything that's not dc'd) I could try that are similar? :D

This might be completely off base because we have different chemistries and I've never tried Xiuhtecuhtli, but your description reminds me a bit of Medea, with some florals added in. (Medea is my latest campaign scent, I think. Heh. Every now and then I go on a kick where I must recommend something in particular anytime it seems REMOTELY similar, so yeah. Take it for what it's worth! But you really should try her. :P)

This might be completely off base because we have different chemistries and I've never tried Xiuhtecuhtli, but your description reminds me a bit of Medea, with some florals added in. (Medea is my latest campaign scent, I think. Heh. Every now and then I go on a kick where I must recommend something in particular anytime it seems REMOTELY similar, so yeah. Take it for what it's worth! But you really should try her. :D)

Hmmm. That's not something I would have picked on my own, but now that you say it, I can see where you're coming from, and where the similarities might be. OOoo, now I'm all excited!

Thanks so much; she's definitely going on the wishlist! :D

(And, hee, campaign scents. I think Xiutecuhtli is that for me - it's just so *amazing,* I can't help but pimp it! :P )

big big thank you.

For me, the Salon's Penitent Magdalen is a lot like O, but with a slightly darker, more contemplative feel. It's got a floralness that O doesn't have, and isn't as sweet, but the amber, I think, acts very similar.

Noobie here and falling head over heels with BPAL. OH MY. I'm trying to gather a short list of items to buy for this next order, or to be on the look out for, that resemble Blood Countess. I'm not really good at describing what I don't like but I can tell you what I have tried and what I'm looking for. I've also spent *hours* searching the forums for suggestions and reviews. Here's what I have thus far but some I know I will never find:

- Queen of Spades

- Red Moon

If you perfume gods and goddesses could help me out I would be greatly appreciative.

Here goes...I've tried and fell in love with "O", but then I tried "Blood Countess" and wow! WOW! I'm in love BUT the scent disappears in a few hours. I want something similar that will stay on longer and yes, I do slather it on.

Scents I've tried that I like:

- O. Pure heaven! Sweet and heavy.

- Morocco. Sexy!

- Voodoo

- Black Dahlia

Scents I've tried that I dislike:

- Aizen-Myoo, sad but true. I love the citrus after a few hours but the first sniff and putting it on makes me gag

- Dragon's Musk. Yuck. Too strong and not sexy.

- Y'ha-Nthlei

- Nyarlathotep