Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Shollin

Similarities Between BPAL Scents - GC and general discussion

I've posted this in at least two other places, but I'm so friggin' excited. Port-au-Prince has the same spice that Shub does upon drydown. Awesome.

I find Kuang Shi and Katharina to be nearly indistinguishable.

I've scanned most of this thread and learned alot, thanks for sharing, everyone!

haven't seen a question on this yet, so I feel compelled to ask:

What could you recommend that is similar to Peitho? I love love LOVE the way it smells wet. I think it's my new favorite for the time being. I think it's some combination of the lily against the bourbon or...something. I don't know but I'm totally infatuated. Sadly, it wears off almost immediately. Short of buying it by the gallon and, y'know, bathing in it...what can I do?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

The drydown of Manhattan smells like cinnamon Hamadryad on me. It's less spicy and much less in-your-face, but it's very similar in feel.

My review is the only one that says that, though, so I may be crazy. But I've worn it three times, and it's done it every time.

Wet, I was alarmed at how much Black Rose smelled like Wanton. Found myself wondering if there'd been a labeling issue! I really like Wanton, but hadn't quite gone over the cliff of rapture into the sea of bliss with it--it cools down to this matte porcelain texture and has all but disappeared from my skin by the two hour mark. Girl needs a little more time for the sea of bliss than that.

Black Rose, however, changed significantly in the dry-down, and it sticks a great deal better. There is some porcelin texture there as well, but the fragrance doesn't vanish into it. I'd put a swipe of each on either wrist early on, and wow could I smell the amber and musk in BR if I sniffed it second, and wow, what a lovely evolution of this fragrance. I haven't tried Othello or Spellbound, yet, but I've heard comparisions all the way around this circle in this topic. :P

I've noticed some.... family parallels, we'll say, in the Excolo line, of course amongst Patheons but in some less expected places, as well. Lilith reminds me of Hecate, but with an almost visibly fuming red rose presence (...think, like, glowy animated roses in the style of Disney's Sleeping Beauty, can you see it?) instead of Hecate's roasted almonds. Lilith is mid-July to late summer, Hecate keeps autumn.

Bastet, meantimes, is very much like Kali with an almond lead, instead of K's wet fruit and wine. Depending on where I am in my cycle, after five or six hours, Kali and Bastet are nearly indistinguishable on me--B's got amber, and I turn the honey in K to amber. Not everyone has my freakish ability to transform every scent within a certain range to amber, though.... Bastet is more nurturing, Kali is more passionate--but by shades, in my chemistry. With Bastet, I miss out on the chocolate and tobacco wrap up from Kali, but the almonds work better on me than the wet fruit. I think. More research is needed.

True or false: If I were to layer Dana O'Shee with The Apothecary, it would smell remarkably like Sudha Segara? I keep missing out on imps of SS, and if it were to smell like those two together.... I better just skip my butt to a 5ml.

Is Love Me anything like New Orleans?

Although both have jasmine in them, I find them completely different. Love Me is warm and spicy with a floral component; New Orleans is very floral, predominantly honeysuckle to my nose.

You should definitely try both, though - they are each beautiful in their own right!

The two are completely different as far as notes go, so it really depends on what you like. It was an easy choice for me, since Feu Follet has both jasmine and rose, which when I wear them, vie for who can turn the most foul. :P

Based upon your liking for Fae, I would recommend Glitter over Feu Follet, since Fae and Glitter are both fruity scents. I've never smelled Feu Follet however (see comments on rose and jasmine, above) so do bear that in mind.

HTH! :D

I'm noticing that Swank and Jersey Devil smell an awful lot alike. Both berry scents with a hint of candle wax on my skin.

anyone knows of O variants? I like how it smells so absolutely honey-ish on me. sadly, it dries to a powdery sort of scent. it's the best i've tried so far. i'm not sure if it's the amber, the honey or the vanilla but it's good! is O like snake oil? or eat me? eve, though full of honey as wel, smells possitively vile on me.

would love to know other O a likes.

big big thank you.

It's quite hard to find scents that are close to fae or have that vibe.

anyone has recomendations?

anyone knows of O variants? I like how it smells so absolutely honey-ish on me. sadly, it dries to a powdery sort of scent. it's the best i've tried so far. i'm not sure if it's the amber, the honey or the vanilla but it's good! is O like snake oil? or eat me? eve, though full of honey as wel, smells possitively vile on me.

would love to know other O a likes.

big big thank you.

Queen is sort of a spicy O variant, also Bengal. Bengal might be the less dry one of the two.

You might also want to try La Petite Mort, or possibly Les Bijoux, although that one is quite rose-y.

Coyote and The Lion had similar ambers on me, but as i suppose it's the amber turning powdery on your skin, you might rather want to skip those.

ETA: Osun is a herbal O variant. Very honey-ish

Edited by blu°

For soft oakmoss blends maybe try: Titania (fruity) or Cathode (minty)

I also would add Midnight to the group of Fae-alikes.

Whitechapel is a lovely white musk with floral and citrus, that you might enjoy.

Other soft scents that come to mind: Yemaya, Glasgow, Prague, Psyche

You've probably bought it by now, but I'd say Glitter as well, even though I don't think it's a scent I'd particularly like. You can find plenty of other rose and jasmine varients quite easily, probably even combining them to make something quite a lot like Feu Follet, but if you think you'll like Glitter, there's not much that's particularly similar in the general catalogue.

thanks!

i got glitter in the end. i dont know why but feu follet give me this idea that it's somewhat a more grownup vresion of fae. maybe cos of the name? whereas glitter sounds totally flashy and sweet like bon vivant. which is something i like buttoo sweet for me.

thansk a lot guys.

My favorite notes in Fae are the sweet notes (heliotrope, peach), so ..along those lines, I'd suggest Bewitched, Midwinter's Eve, Swank and Glitter =)

It's quite hard to find scents that are close to fae or have that vibe.

anyone has recomendations?

Well... what kind of vibe does Fae have for you? What are some of the more dominant smells on your skin?

Are you looking for more peach recommendations? Or fruity florals?

I'd like to help, but I'd like a few more details so that I don't recommend something you might dislike. :P

There's a common note in Hurricane & Queen that morphs into sinus-piercing pink peppercorn & cheap soap on me, and I'd like to avoid it from here on out... I suspect the culprit is vetivert, but without a list of Queen's notes, it's hard to verify. Any ideas?

I was frimped an imp of Dracul, and I really like it, or at least mostly like it. It's the tobacco that's causing me problem. It's not overpowering the blend so much as it's slinking maliciously through the blend’s background, adding an unpleasant twinge to each sniff.

So is there anything out there in BPAL land with a similar wood/orange peel or orange peel/musk/mint combination without the nasty tobacco? Or even something with the same feel.