Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Shollin

Similarities Between BPAL Scents - GC and general discussion

I got such wonderful recs the last time I asked this question (for instance, I never would have thought to order Aunt Caroline's Joy Mojo, but now it's my absolute favorite) I thought I'd try it again!

I really like Xiuhtecuhtli (the notes I love in it are the orange, smokey, wetly floral ones) and I'd love to explore more in that area. I LOVE the smokiness, and I'll try anything (as long as it's not musk. Musk hates me.)

Thanks so much for any thoughts!

I completely understand, Xiuh was my first OMFGBPAL! I love the copal and plumeria and sweet orange mix. It's so beautiful, tropical and damp, but firey. It's an oil to be kept in a 10ml for everything.

Akuma was similar but really sweet and fruity.

Devil's Night was amazingly similar on my skin, just a bit more incensy than wet.

Succubus seemed very similar at first but turned to powder on my skin.

Pele I though was going to be close and similar but it was way too powder-floral on me. Not enough of the dampness on my skin.

R'lyeh has the damp and lovely citrus scent, and it's somewhat warm. It doesn't have the spicy incensy bit, though. it is very lovely and aquatic.

Blood Rose has a similar feel. There's the cherry of the dragon's blood resin is fruity and sweet but there's also an incense on top that gives a somewhat dirty smell to it, but a nice dirty.

On my skin, Xiuhtecuhtli is very close to Eden.

For some reason I also think you would like Dia de los Muertos. Worth trying to swap for a decant of, since it is an LE.

this may be a long shot here but i find that i love dirty just as much

as xiuhtecuhtli.......you just gotta give dirty a try..... :P

I've never tried that one, but the smoky wet fruits thing made me think of Eris. Though Eris doesn't remind me a bit of Dirty, so this may be a -very- long shot.

I adore Xiuhtecuhtli and I really haven't found anything just like it in the BPAL cat. However, I will second the Ravenous rec' as it has the same "feel" to it, but it's not as "wet" and sensual, it's more outright sexual. Dirty is also similar, but I'm not really into it...it's too clean.

I've been in love with Voodoo ever since I sniffed it in the bottle.

What I get out of it is a strong Coca Cola scent, with vanilla, patchouli, lime, clove and other spices enhancing the flavor.

Is there anything else with the same Cola feel to it? I'd love to try a cooler version of Voodoo for the summer months - a Coke-on-ice perhaps.

(I hope this post is in the right place. I'll be sooo peeved if I've messed up my first new topic :P )

I'm also a big fan of Voodoo (actually, it was my first BPAL love and still is my number one scent, lol). The only thing that I have found with that same cola scent that is in Voodoo is the voodoo oil, Love Me. But Love Me was also very cinnamony (actually smells like Holiday Spice Coca Cola on me), so it's still a very warm scent.

Voodoo is a pretty unique scent, I've never smelled anything quite like it. I do know of a few etailers that sell cola dupes for a rather cheap price though. Www.soapssaltsetc.com has a cola dupe that I really enjoy and actually have layered with Voodoo before.

I get an almost-soda smell out of Black Phoenix when it's wet.

i'm still VERY new at this, but my favorite so far is Kathmandu - smells like root or birch beer! then it mellows into cedar/sandalwood/incense. you may be interested in that, although maybe you are looking for less spice for summer? anyway, now i'll have to try some voodoo :P

I like the layering idea - maybe I should get some Cathode and wear a touch of that with Voodoo.

Khatmandu is lovely - a cedary spice that I wouldn't mind wearing in the summer. And if you want to try a great root beer scent, HennaFairy, try Laudanum.

I've been told that Dorian and Antique Lace are really similar...I'm trying to decide which one to get. Any suggestions?

Along the same lines for an Amber scenet: The Lion or Bestat?

I find Dorian to be Antique Lace with the addition of a sophistocated musk.

I think Bastet is much darker amber with more depth.

I've been told that Dorian and Antique Lace are really similar...I'm trying to decide which one to get. Any suggestions?

Along the same lines for an Amber scenet: The Lion or Bestat?

dorian and antique lace do have a similar light sweet vanilla base but dorian is almost lemon frosting to me whereas antique lace is almost floral, but not quite. i am loving antique lace a LOT right now and like dorian but not to wear for it's too lemony to me.

as for amber smells, the lion is nice. really nice. a very light yellow amber, not a think resiny amber. bastet on me is all burnt almonds. not amber and not like the lion at all. haunted, on the other hand, is a nice amber. i'd recommend that if you want something a little darker than the lion.

today i bonded a bit with underpants ... and i think it is a bit reminiscent of antique lace, actually.

also, for people that are milk moon freaks, you are in luck. obatala is really close. and it's a GC!

this is a great thread. i'm sure i will be writing more observations as time goes on.

=)

oh ok here's some more: FOODIES (one of my favs) :: gingerbread poppet and monsterbait underbed are similar. though gingerbread is, well, gingerbread, ha, and underbed monster is an oatmeal cookie, almost a snickerdoodle! and sugarcookie is obviously a sugarcookie. beaver moon is cheesecake. milk moon is this indian icecream called kulfi. dorian is lemon vanilla frosting. and midway is just pure sweetness to me. lightest whiff of vanilla but not spicey or sour or milky. and i love it.

Well there seems to be agreement that Bastet is much darker than The Lion. I actually ended up ordering The Lion, and I'm happy with that because it is coming up on summer and I don't want anything too heavy.

I also ordered Dorian but I'm not sure it was the right choice. I may just have to fill out another order today! More sophisticated musk & more lemon....they really don't sound that similar now at all! Hmm...

Thanks for the advice!

IME: The Lion is almost a pure amber, but light, with an undertone almost like new-mown hay. Bastet is "hotter," heavier and spicier with a definite almond note.

The Lion is late spring or early fall, while Bastet is midsummer. (And I love them both soooo much.)

IME: The Lion is almost a pure amber, but light, with an undertone almost like new-mown hay. Bastet is "hotter," heavier and spicier with a definite almond note.

The Lion is late spring or early fall, while Bastet is midsummer. (And I love them both soooo much.)

Ooooh, now I wish I'd ordered both! *looks at empty wallet* Oh well, maybe next week! Bastet is definitely going on the list I keep next to the computer though. It sounds scrumptious! I have some lotion with Amber in it and I use it all the time, so I'm hoping I love these scents just as much. Here's to being hopeful!

Bastet is, indeed, Teh Scrumptious. It ages well, too.

Now for a new question: How similar is Gypsy Queen to All Saint's 2005? I was told that All Saint's has a heavier rose while Gypsy Queen is softer. I ordered Gypsy Queen unsniffed when Carnaval Noir was re-released earlier this month, because the description had florals and incense, just like All Saint's (and the latter is the scent I would keep if I was told I could only keep one BPAL scent). I also know GC doesn't have gardenia and AS does.

Queen of Sheba and Bastet are amazingly similar, with the latter a bit more "golden" and rich.

Hollywood Babylon upon drydown was identical to Scheherezade on me. This is rather unfortunate, as both turned absolutely awful and needed washing off posthaste. Booooo.

Here are two I find amazingly similar. So much so, that if you have one, you don't need the other.

Mouse's Long and Sad Tale and Aeval. I think it's the sweet pea and musk notes. They're beautiful fragrnaces, but I can't tell them apart.

Olokun actually reminds me a bit of Nyarlathotep, only without the incense. It's very, very ocean aquatic. And like Jolly Roger only darker.

I can't wait for my bottle of Mousie to get here! I had a sniff and a dab at Convergence and it is fantastic. PS, I am jealous that Aeval smells so good on you... sadly, my chemistry amps sage like crazy. So Aeval and Corazon had me smelling like a yummy Thanskgiving turkey.

This isn't exactly the topic but I think it's close enough...let me know if I'm wrong.

But are there scents similar to Utrennyaya?