Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Shollin

Similarities Between BPAL Scents - GC and general discussion

Oki, I've looked at ALL 18.2 pages in this wonderfully evil thread (my to-try list has grown considerably!), but I've seen no mention of Dance of Death, which is one of my bestest favouritest scents! It smells like crushed dry November leaves with powdered bone sprinkled over top just for good measure.

Omen (and Nemesis, kinda sorta) comes close -- they have the warmth but not that dryness that I lust after. Any other ideas?

Anyone tried Spirits of the Dead or Dragon's Bone for comparison with Dance of Death?

Kettu,

I haven't tried Dragon's Bone yet, but I have tried Spirits of the Dead. Spirits of the Dead smells like linden tea to me (almost a "fruity" tea) when I first put it on. After awhile, it is slightly woody. IMO, it's not a very dry scent. You might have better luck with Dragon's Bone. From the description, it sounds like a dry scent, but I haven't tried it:(

I think your perception of dragon's bone would totally depend on how you react to dragon's blood. Although I love orris, because my chem amps sweet/dragon's blood, it wasn't dry at all, unfortunately.

A line of similair scent to me are

Haunted, Snake Oil, and Snake Charmer

Haunted is the strongest and to me a bit too 'Shalimar' like, Snake Charmer is the softest and sweetest to me.

does anyone have any suggestions for something Namaste-esque, but without the lemongrass? My skin must REALLY love lemongrass 'cause thats all I'm a smellin'!

Can anyone recommend one similar to the wet stage of Blood? It's the only one the man actually said he has liked before I asked him his opnion. Only problem is he doesn't like it once its dry. Does it stay the same in a scent locket or does it still morph?

Can anyone reccomend an oil that is similar to Blood when it's still wet? It changes a lot on me when it dries. Also does it stay the same as wet when it's in a scent locket? I don't have one so I can't tell. Thanks for any help.

Why don´t you try to put some on a cotton ball/q-tip and let it dry, that way you can see if it´s your chemistry being wonky

Have you tried any other blood scents? Blood Lotus, Blood Rose, any of the Ars Draconis? I´m not sure if they smell similar, but it might be worth a shot

(and yes, I thought you meant blood as in, well, blood, too :P)

Edited by modesty_blaise

Am I the only person who will hear someone talk about blood, and have me ears perk a brief moment where I think they are talking about BPAL Blood, the scent... then realize they mean that stuff in my veins?

Am I the only person who will hear someone talk about blood, and have me ears perk a brief moment where I think they are talking about BPAL Blood, the scent... then realize they mean that stuff in my veins?

Thats just too funny O_W. Since most people seem to have thought the other way with the question. In this case you were the only one on mark so to speak.

Thats just too funny O_W. Since most people seem to have thought the other way with the question. In this case you were the only one on mark so to speak.

I'm also the person who hears something and thinks, "Hey, that could possibly be not dirty" when most people think, "Hey that could be taken dirty".

As far as something that scentwise matches up to the wet Blood, I really don't know. I like the drydown, so I really didn't pay that much attention to the wet stage.

I like the drydown a lot too, but this is the first one that my hubby has come out and said it smells nice. Usually it's a turn up of the nose and a difinate no. so I will still wear this anyway, but I'd just like to find one like it in it's wet phase. I have tried Blood Rose, it goes a bit sour from the wine note I think. I love the Ard Draconis ones, but so far haven't found one remotely close, I've tried dragons milk, hide and heart. Also Blood pearl, but rather tropical. I will give the cotton wool a go, but I don't think it's wonky chemistry, just siply due to the oils themselves morphing as the dry.

I'm trying trying to blend a few bpals to approximate Lush's Jungle, and AliBabble suggested House of Night with Manila. I have Manila, but i'm trying to get a quick idea of how it'll work, and I don't have House of night in my collection. I have qutie a few others, though....

So......I was curious: Has anyone run across BPALS that are similar to House of Night for the green/planty feel?

Thanks!

So I am the only one who finds that The Great Sword of War and Kali smell very similar?

I'm sure most of it's just me, as I don't smell ANYTHING in Kali, except the tobacco and cocoa, and that's exactly what I get from TGSW.... I have severe sinus issues so I'm almost always a little stuffed up, making it hard for me to get any subtle scents, only strong ones really come through for me mostly... I thought that I'd smell at least a LITTLE bit of a difference between the two though and I can't.

So it is just my nose, or does anyone else out there think Kali and TGSW smell alike?

If my nose doesn't detect a difference soon I'm swapping one of them out.

Edited by HonorAlexandria

Medicine Show, from springtime in arkham, smells remarkably similar to Lex Talionis, (although lex has the grapefruit). (and if you mix either one w/ 3 witches it smells good! - but i know that's for another thread...)

as far as sword of war/kali....to me they are fairly different - sword is very orange-y, whereas for me, kali has the cocoa & wine thing...it's like kali is a reddish brown-maroon color (in my mind) and sword of war is bright orange. go figure...i guess scent is very subjective, huh?

I just put my two current favorites, Hell's Belle and Sacred Whore of Babylon on each hand and realized that they smell alarmingly similar. HB is sweeter, more honeyed, and Sacred Whore is "brighter", spicier somehow, but they are almost identical.

Bear in mind that I do have my period right now and so my chemistry might be amping particular notes out of proportion.

hey guys!

How about a rec for something that smells a bit like Miskatonic University. I am stalking ebay and the sell section but no luck so far...So I was wondering if there is a GC that is even remotely close. I have only one order pending right now...so and help would be very nice. :P

If...

You liked Languor, but wished that it was a little stronger, try Helle's Belle.

You were intrigued/turned on by Iago, but felt it was too masculine, try Loviatar.

You wanted to like Dorian based on its description and inspiration, but wished it was more masculine, try London.

You liked New Orleans, but were a little concerned about the jasmine, try Eos.

You tried Djinn because you love smoke notes, but it was too acrid, try Thanatos, Laudanum or Perversion (L is strongest, T is in the middle and P is lightest).

I realize that these comparisons depend on skin chemistry, so here's a brief summary of mine---my skin amps jasmine, sandalwood and myrrh; loves leather and incense; almost always rejects butter, honey and milk notes (though things that are "honeyed" can be passable, like Dragon's Milk); and usually rejects white musk, rum and sugar notes (Baron Samedi & Devil's Night are notable exceptions). My faves right now are Herr Drosselmeyer, Perversion, New Orleans, Geek, London and Morocco.

Alecto seems like it's almost something I would be crazy about. But it is too sweet. If anyone can reccomend something similar to alecto, I'd be much obliged. I like the smokiness, which I guess is the vetiver. But the dark sweetness reminds me of prunes.

Edited by smelly

I've found that High John the Conqueror smells a whole lot like The Hanged Man. Funny, that!

Oh! and Tiger Lily smells a lot like Al-Araaf if you're an Al-Araaf junkie like me and didn't get enough before it went away.

Shub-Niggurath and Three Witches smell like scent-sisters to me, too, and there's a lot of 3 Witches flying around right now, so you Shubby fans can probably find some good stuff there.

I put Oneiroi on one wrist and Sophia on the other. I couldn't tell them apart. I love them but I must be missing something. Is anyone able to smell notes that differentiate these two?

I put Oneiroi on one wrist and Sophia on the other. I couldn't tell them apart. I love them but I must be missing something. Is anyone able to smell notes that differentiate these two?

Er...yes. Oneiroi is a spicy yellow/white floral lavender with a burnt wood feel almost, darker than Sophia.

Sophia is more distanced cooler lavender with hazy soft red-pink floral and green to me. I love both. :P

Maybe you should try to wear each one for a whole day, and then see if you can get a difference. That is, if you don't dislike completely what similar you've smelled so far with them. :D

ETA: What I had been going to post originally: If you skin amps fig, you might find that Nemesis and Gomorrah are quite alike. I just tested Nemesis today and kept thinking that it smelled almost exactly like Gomorrah, fig with something herbal-woody. I guess if I wrist-compare them I'd get some difference, but from memory only Gomorrah was very much like what I'm smelling like today. I had actually been hoping to get some more of the cypress, but well, fig is nice, too. :D

Edited by blu°

So......I was curious: Has anyone run across BPALS that are similar to House of Night for the green/planty feel?

Thanks!

I haven't tried House of Night, but Bayou definitely has a wet, humid, greenness to it. :P

Remember, YMMV due to skin chemistry issues, but I have found:

If you like the tropical sweetness of Pele but find it's too faint for you, you might like Delight or Euphrosyne instead.

If you are looking for a sultry rose like the LE The Peacock Queen, try Black Rose or Blood Rose.

Spellbound and Othello are very similar musky/spicy/rose blends.

If you like Morocco you will probably like Baghdad, Scherezade and Silk Road as well.

If you layer Delight or Rapture with The Hanging Gardens you might get a good approximation of the LE Khajuraho.

Edited by Chrysantza