Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Shollin

Similarities Between BPAL Scents - GC and general discussion

does anyone have a recomendation for something similar to Arkham Revisited? i adore it, but i will run out quickly as it doesn't stay for long on my skin (woe is me!)....

n.

does anyone have a recomendation for something similar to Arkham Revisited? i adore it, but i will run out quickly as it doesn't stay for long on my skin (woe is me!)....

n.

Well, Arkham Revisited went very fruity on me and smelled a lot like Yerevan. I don't know if they will work the same way on you but at least you could try an imp of Yerevan (if you haven't already tried it).

Well, Arkham Revisited went very fruity on me and smelled a lot like Yerevan.  I don't know if they will work the same way on you but at least you could try an imp of Yerevan (if you haven't already tried it).

(goes off to read about Yerevan)

hrm. it doesn't sound like AR to me. but recently i was reading about Vinland, and i wonder if that might do the trick.

well, i'll get imps of both! :P

n.

Oh yes, Vinland is another good one to try. Not so much note-wise but it may give you a similar "feeling." Be sure to come back and let us know what you think :P .

(goes off to read about Yerevan)

hrm. it doesn't sound like AR to me. but recently i was reading about Vinland, and i wonder if that might do the trick.

I've tried both of those and don't think either one is anything like AR... which I love too, BTW.

Of course it also depends on what AR is to you. To me, it's a very pretty light floral, very "spring." Yerevan is fruity and Vinland is kind of odd and sharp. Vinland might be better for you, though -- it could have some random note that went weird on me.

I was wondering what BPAL oils smell similar on you, maybe some that are almost identical with your skin chemistry, or just closely related? (Sorry if this is an existing topic, I did a search for similar and equivalents!)

I just received and tried a decant of Chimera that smells lovely on me, but it smells almost identical to O- which, ironically, I didn't like on me! This is the part of O that is honey sweet without the sort of sharp, almost too overtly sexual part of O that just didn't do well on me. i can almost fake myself into smelling the cinnamon, but it's so faint.. i seriously would have thought O was just finally behaving well on me if I didn't know better. The imp I have of O is a cat's ear that was mostly used up when it arrived to me, so I don't know if that had any effect on the scent itself, or if Chimera would smell different on me at a different part of the month.

What scents do you find similar?

Edited by Seajewel

I've looked over most of these posts, and I can't find anything on a Dorian sibling scent.  On me, I get NO lemon at all from Dorian.  Not at all.  It's wonderfully warm and sexy, and has this bit of *kick* that's kind of cologney in a way, so I'm guessing that must be musk.  I don't actually know what musk smells like by itself, so I'm only assuming here.  I ADORE this scent though, is there something that smells really similar to Dorian (not the lemon part everyone else seems to get). ?

On me I too get no lemon, at least not after aging my imp a bit in my imp jar. I find Dorian a darker, more brooding sibling to Dana O'Shee. Perhaps try that one?

I'm quite fond of Dana O'Shee, and Dorian (when aged a bit) and am awaiting a bottle of Milk Moon from a lovely lady on eBay hoping I'll like that too. I'm curious to find other scents in this family (Dorian, Dana O'Shee) as well.

I found Dorian and Fae to be similar. Unfortunately, neither one worked for me, but whatevah.

So Far I Have Noticed the Similarity Among:

Marie-The Raven-Sybaris

Hollywood Babylon-Snake Oil

Yerevan-Fae

Egleba-Santo Domingo

Grog-Jack

Maiden-Alice-La Petite Mort

Some are stronger than others (Yerevan-Fae), others are subtly different (The Raven-Sybaris). If one is similar, I have to put them on my arm side by side and sniff, the difference is quick to appear then.

Edited for French spelling and grammar. It's La Petite Mort, Feminine.

Edited by olympia301

Another one that is like La Petite Mort is Eve, but it's a way amped up version. Too much ylang ylang for me but if you like that note, Eve may be something to try.

i absolutely adore pisces, but only got an imp before it was d/c'd. and my imp leaked!! i have it stored in a jar and i take it out to sniff when i want something to clear my heart.

any suggestions for something similar to pisces??

Anything smell similar to "O"? I tried Jezebel and I did get a hint of something that is in "O". Problem is after a few minutes it started smelling like burning plastic on my skin. I really wanted to love it too....

I find that Urd and Imp are very similar. It's interesting how all of these scents can smell so differently on different people. On me, O and Chimera never smell anything alike.

I'm a newer Bpaler. I got Bastet and Dragon's Musk from Ebay(my first two sniffs of BPAL evah!! I loved them both. They have a muskiness to them which I adored paired with the sweet especially in Bastet.

Which oils also have this sweet spiciness with a hint (or more) of musk?

Edited by Aharona

I have all 3 and the all smell different but on me if you take:

Hollywood Babylon - devious cherries; and

Centzon Totochin - dusky cocoa

Blood Kiss is their love child. I get the cherry wiffle and sniffs of chocolate but slightly creamier and sweeter than in Centzon.

That is the strongest scent similarity I've noted.

Well...

Juliet and Desdemona smell alike on me.

Oh yes, Vinland is another good one to try.  Not so much note-wise but it may give you a similar "feeling." Be sure to come back and let us know what you think :P .

i got an imp of Vinland in a swap, and it is, to me, very similar to Arkham Revisited. i think it's the maple maybe? and the wildflowers. good stuff.

n.

Ahh Shub. Why have I come too late to BPAL and missed your wonderousness? I have but one imp and I shall treasure it, and hunt for bottles.

But if anyone has any ideas on what catalogue scents or combinations of scents can approximate this lovely, please share. :P

To me Julliet, Desdemonia and Queen of hearts share a lot of common notes, where QoH is the softest of these three.

ETA:Oh and add Aveal to this list :P

All of these are so not for me!

Edited by quinkel

Arkham Revisited's drydown is extremely similar to Titania on me. It's a bit disconcerting, actually. :P

gingerbread poppet and shub are almost indistinguishable on me.  gp isn't a regular catalogue scent, but may come back around in winter.

Brilliant, thank you! I'll keep an eye out for it. :P

I'm pretty new to BPAL. I've tested about 15 imps so far, and I'm very impressed with almost all of them. But so far one really sticks out (the first one I tried, actually):

I :P ADORE :D Intrigue. It doesn't smell super chocolatey on me, but like a hint of dusty cocoa in an exotic tropical and cedar forest. I really really really like it. Sultry, dark, but sweet and alluring. I want to bathe in it. Did I mention that I love Intrigue? :D

I layered some intrigue with blood kiss and loved that too....

Anyway, I was wondering what other scents more experienced BPALers might recommend for a girl who is enamoured with Intrigue?

Or what other layering combos you think might work?

I'm gearing up for a big bottle order (to coincide with the new lunacy release) and would love to sneak in a few more things to play with!

Welcome to the forum jewelbug :P ! My skin seems to amp up fig and it gets kind of woody on me, even without the cedary notes of Intrigue so I'm not sure these recommendations will do the same on you. But... Freak Show, which is part of Carnaval Noir and still available, ended up smelling very similar to Intrigue on me. Eden is a catolog scent that ended up that way as well but was kind of a wild ride on the way! It's very popular right now so you may also enjoy it.

My skin seems to amp up butter like there's no tomorrow, so a couple of hours after applying, Midway, Grog, and Jack all smell the same on me.

Also, Snake Oil, O, and Chimera all smell very similar to me, except that Snake Oil is the only one I actually like.