Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Shollin

Similarities Between BPAL Scents - GC and general discussion

Well thanks, celestia! I will look into those suggestions! I HATE when I fall in love with the unattainable :tongue:

Let me know how it goes! And yea :( I know exactly how you feel! I'm still persisting in my search for my unattainable. T.T sympathies all around!

I had an imp of a GC scent that has a similar smell to strangler fig, but I remember there is not fig note listed. I loved it, but I used it up, got rid of the imp and now I don't remember the name! Anyone have ideas? Thanks!

Edited by loladae

I had an imp of a GC scent that has a similar smell to strangler fig. I loved it, but I used it up, got rid of the imp and now I don't remember the name! Anyone have ideas? Thanks!

Maybe Gomorrah ripe fig, date and currant with black herbs. ?

Or Eden fig leaf, fig fruit, honeyed almond milk, toasted coconut and sandalwood. (But I feel like that's not as likely)

Possibly Seance or Danse Macabre - Strangler fig on me is mostly soft woods, after the coconut / fig settles down.

Finally, after 12+ years of wearing BPAL, I was standing next to a fan having just applied my BPAL for the day, my husband says "What's that smell? It smells nice, sweet." I had just put on Skuld.

Any ideas of what else he may like? I think it was the honey/ylang ylang combo. I couldn't pick up any musk in there, I could smell more honey than ylang ylang, but that's my nose, he may have picked it up differently. I asked what he could smell but he couldn't identify anything in particular, he just liked the sweetness but he's never liked foodie scents on me. He says he thinks he prefers florals but he's not liked any jasmine, tolerates rose but is very meh if I wear any. Violet is all powder on me so I don't go there. He does not like strong perfumes or patchouli, vetever or anything like that.

TIA :)

If you want honey notes:

Josie: Heady magnolia and honeyed peaches

Against Idleness and Mischief: Pollen-dusted honey, diligent tonka, steadfast chamomile, and goodly hyssop

Honeyed Apple: Slices of apple dipped in golden honey

Door: Golden honey, nicotiana, blue chamomile, and cistus

For sweetness, you could also try some of the Lab's sweet snow combinations, like Almond Blossom and Skadi.

I have Door, while I quite like it, I know he doesn't. Something in it goes rather powdery in me, while I usually dislike powdery perfumes I do find Door somewhat comforting. I do know it took me quite a few wears to decide if it was a love or hate for me.

Against Idleness and Mischief is one I will have to give a try, it sounds lovely to my tastes and promising to his. Fruits don't seem to be much of a success with me, and Magnolia turns quite heavy on me, so I think Josie wouldn't be good, but then again ylang ylang can be quite heady too, so I think I may give it a try, the reviews sound like it could go either way.

I don't like my chances of getting hold of Honeyed Apples, and as said before, fruits can be iffy, but I will give it a try if I do. Thanks.

I think it's the honey and ylang ylang combo of Skuld. My fiance looooves it on me!

If it's that he might like

Le Petite Mort if memory serves, I think that has honey and Ylang Ylang in it, just without the grapelike note that Skuld has?

Edited by Pixie-elf

Mata Hari: I know I have an imp of this somewhere, but I just can't find it. I can't entirely remember how it smells but have really been wanting to wear it again. Is there anything that smells similar?

Oooh, I have an imp of La Petit Mort, I will try it out again tomorrow. I put on some Hemlock Honey today, it has some of the same sort of feeling to it, but again without the fruityness, I will get him to give it a sniff when he gets home.

Maybe I need to try some layering.

Is there anyone else who has tried both, and felt a similarity between, Mini Magdalene and Petite Planchette? I feel like the wood/vanilla synergy is working similarly. (This is A-OK with me, as I loved Mini Mag and no longer have any.)

Is there anyone else who has tried both, and felt a similarity between, Mini Magdalene and Petite Planchette? I feel like the wood/vanilla synergy is working similarly. (This is A-OK with me, as I loved Mini Mag and no longer have any.)

Oh, goodness, waiting to hear conversation about this! Mini-Mag is a top beloved scent and since she was released in 2014 have not sniffed anything even closely related!

I put both on side by side, and I agree that they are quite similar. They both have that warm, glowing sensation going on. However Mini Mag is much sweeter, a slightly resinous beeswax on my skin, and Petite Planchette is more resinous, mostly frankincense and wood on me. But still very close scent wise. I'm interested to see how Petite Planchette ages, if the honey and vanilla come out more and sweeten it.

Haven't tried my Petite Planchette yet, waiting for it to settle a bit more but Mini Mag is a serious favourite, so I would not be mad if you're right! I will so a side by side at some point.

Would this be the place to ask about other BPAL perfumes with a similar rose note to Whip, or should I make a new thread? I searched and found a thread or two about rose, but nothing that specific... at any rate, some roses (like the one in Between Your Heart and Mine, and some others I have from different companies) go veeeery powdery on me. Whip does not. Whip is perfect. I want everything with that note in it. :v

I have not tried Whip yet, so take this with a heavy grain of salt! (Hopefully someone with more experience can weigh in too). But so far, the most realistic, non-powdery rose I've tried is The Rose. Persephone was also non-powdery; I think the pomegranate keeps it grounded. I have also seen people speak highly of the LE Yules Rose Red and Peacock Queen, but I have not tried those myself.

All of the ones I've listed are very rose-forward though, so if you want the rose mixed with other scents, they might not be the best choices. :)

Thank you! I just thought to run a search through the Peacock Queen review thread for Whip and found multiple people comparing them, so I'm thinking that one is a very likely contender!

Although now that I've had a chance to look over all the limited collections that are available right now, I feel like I should get something more different from what I already have first. :v I'm really interested in Bear Prince and may end up with it. Still, if Peacock Queen and Rose Red are still available when I have cash next time... I'd be especially interested in hearing from people who've tried both of those and Whip!

I also have another question, come to think of it... I just realized I should see if Theodosius was still in stock since I've used up at least half of my bottle. It's not. :c I absolutely adore Theodosius and would like to know of anything similar.

On 12/31/2019 at 5:42 AM, Nightmare said:

Thank you! I just thought to run a search through the Peacock Queen review thread for Whip and found multiple people comparing them, so I'm thinking that one is a very likely contender!

Although now that I've had a chance to look over all the limited collections that are available right now, I feel like I should get something more different from what I already have first. :v I'm really interested in Bear Prince and may end up with it. Still, if Peacock Queen and Rose Red are still available when I have cash next time... I'd be especially interested in hearing from people who've tried both of those and Whip!

I also have another question, come to think of it... I just realized I should see if Theodosius was still in stock since I've used up at least half of my bottle. It's not. :c I absolutely adore Theodosius and would like to know of anything similar.

I think Peacock Queen's rose is quite similar to Whip's, deep red and velvety. I haven't tried Bear Prince yet but have heard a lot of love for that one! 

So there's this lady. Jezebel, she calls herself. And I love her more and more each day, and basically I just want to live every moment of my life slathered in this scent. I expect I'll die wearing this scent, and then haunt the living heck out of people who wear it regularly so I can bask in its glory for all eternity. In the meantime, I'm on the lookout for any HGs, atmos, or bath oils that may smell similar. I'm particularly interested in Hair Glosses, I just really want my hair to smell as good as my wrists.

I've seen people draw comparisons to Jezebel in the threads for Honey HG and for Hair Loosened and Soiled in Mid Orgies HG. Both are on my radar and one will most likely be added to my next order (in the kind of distant future because I made a big order not long ago).

My questions for you lovely people are: which one of the two aforementioned HGs would come closest to Jezebel, in your opinion? I'm leaning towards Hair Loosened and Soiled in Mid Orgies, but I'd love to hear what you think. And: any LE (or GC I haven't come across) HGs, atmos, and bath oils you can recommend?

Any and all suggestions are much appreciated! Thank you! 😊💙

Edited by Kelthara