Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

In 2014, we had the great pleasure of collaborating with Jim Jarmusch on our line inspired by Only Lovers Left Alive. It is impossible to put into words what a great pleasure it was to translate this film and its soundtrack into scent. In the process of creating the series, I sat behind Henry Rollins at the press screening and, a few nights later, watched as he interviewed Tilda Swinton at the screening at LACMA.

The first scents in our Kabuki line for David Mack were introduced, and this year gave birth to our Pretty Deadly series for wise, witty, radiant Kelly-Sue DeConnick and Emma Rios, and our first Clive Barker series, the Forbidden.

Chic vampires, Old West death parables, Moroccan spices, and futuristic assassins: gleaming black leather and dusty brown leather, chthonic smoke, and cold, gleaming metal meandering through a labyrinthine souk.

Oooh! Smells like Brom Bones (cold, musky leather) right on cold sniff. I'm excited. I kind of had a bit of a 'Firefly?' moment when I read the description, so, of course, in it went to the cart.

Wet, on me, it's like you can see the leather note kind of... separate... like there's a distinct cold thread spiraling away while this warmer, spicier leather (with lambs-wool, warm, fluffy, worn, loved) emerges, with a hint of incense and spice. But the incense and spice is not overwhelming, and it veers back towards a leather scent just touched with a throb of warmth. I can get a bit of the chrome note (think Katiniya, Torture Queen) underneath everything all, just kind of little neck studs glinting through the leather. There's a bit of smoke in the background, which has a bit of mossiness to it.
Overall very well blended. A sexy, kind of edgy western leather scent. Stays close to the skin. It's fabulous!

Black leather, brown leather and a tinge of chrome. This one is a very leathery blend. Low throw, and good wear length.

Faded leather saddle with a curl of smoke and incense. The leather is not the sharp vinyl kind, but more along the Lab's fuzzy line. As it dries, it gets more dusty and faint. It's very well blended and quite pleasant.

Silk Phoenix is a very striking leather blend. I'm getting strong black leather, brown leather, light smoke, and a slight touch of metal—but aside from the strong leather notes, this comes across much more softly than I would have thought from the description. Perhaps it's the Moroccan spices tempering this? They may also be what is giving me the impression of a leathery Eve from Only Lovers Left Alive. Leather lovers, rejoice!

A predominantly leather scent. I get a little of the spices and smoke early on, but then it fades to just leather. I was afraid the leather/metal combo would be too strong (Fighter was too much for me), but this is very nice. I would have liked the spice notes to hang around a bit longer, but I've been experimenting with layering it with Morocco and I think that will work for days when I want a little more spice to balance out the leather. If you like leather scents I highly recommend this!

Wet: LOTS of really strong new-smelling leather. It's the type that often smells of disgusting chemicals on me, but is actually behaving itself here, which is nice. I testing Leather Phoenix on my other arm, and I feel this would have been more suited to that name, it's got so much leather! Metal is also a note that is usually horrific on me, but it's just the tiniest bit here, and hasn't amped up (yet) to kill the whole thing on me. I am actually really appreciating this for how evocative it is. I don't know why, but this scent makes the show Firefly come to mind. Weird, right? The hints of spice and smoke are amazing. This would smell BAD ASS on a dude. Or a woman more capable of being badass than I am...lol.

Dry: This is a very rugged smelling leather scent. It's really nice, and I am not even a huge leather fan. Leather lovers should not miss this one - it will age like a dream. Kinda makes me want to be a cowboy....

Ahhhhh there she is... my favorite leather rawhide note from the lab ever. 
So sexy and real.

The Leather puts it's hand on the small of your back, and gently leads you into a dry saloon, wafting you with dry wood and spices, well oiled gun metal and the promise of adventure and protection.

A strong lover in a black hat and a true heart. 

My favorite of the Anniversary Phoenixes. 

I think at this point I'm a leather daddy ("I'm looking for something that says 'Dad likes leather'") because dang, I must have tried nearly every variation at this point. This smells *precisely* like brown rawhide. Oiled saddles. The leather stall at Renne Faire. New Car? Meh, kinda sorta but I like that smell. I get a metal twang that does fade rather quickly, and right at the tail end, softly spiced incense smoke. As it dries the sweet smoke comes through more, but this is mostly a sharp fresh leather blend.

This definitely has Firefly vibes. 

Edited by supreme_c0rt

Silk Phoenix kind of stops at “gleaming black leather” on me. It’s the Tandy leather store of yore. New leather, rawhide, suede, maybe a hint of gunmetal, but nothing of the souk or smoke. Almost a single note leather. I got frimped this by a generous forumite and am so glad I got to try it.