Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
zankoku_zen

2010: Salt Phoenix

In 2010, we had the privilege of working with one of the greatest storytellers of the modern era, Peter S. Beagle, and our Last Unicorn series went live. Peter is one of the most kind-hearted, gentlest humans that I’ve ever known, and we bonded over both of us being the children of teachers.

In February, we celebrated Valentine’s Day with our Lovecraftian tourism campaign, produced by the Arkham Visitors Bureau: The Miskatonic Valley is for Lovers. Los Angeles Lunacy moved to Dark Delicacies at their Grand Reopening in May of 2010, and Umlaut and Victorian Garden went live at the Mütter Museum in August of 2010. This was also the year that I almost keeled over like a wilted cucumber during my panel at the West Hollywood Book Fair, and the heat was so intense that it demolished the entirety of the tester stock that we’d brought with us to vending and our soaps turned to ooze.

In June, Black Phoenix Trading Post sponsored the Carcosan Interdimensional Football Association Underworld Cup XXI Championship. My money was on the P’nathi Bholes to win, especially after they soundly defeated the Gugs 7-0 in the group phase, securing their position in the knockout round.

Mist-veiled lilac and salt spray with osmanthus, white jasmine, and icy lavender.

Lilac, jasmine, salt and a whiff of lavender. This one is a very lilac-centered blend. The jasmine is most prominent on wet, but it calms down as it dries, and the salt edge appears. When I first apply it, it's almost too much, but if you were looking for a lilac centered blend, seek no more. This one is gorgeous, and feels very historic - like the village where Anne of Avonlea lives in Prince Edward Island. It's got that natural blossom, and salty air, and it just smells clean and pure. Good throw and wear length.

I've just put it on--it's pure lilac on me. (Granted, I have a cold, but I can still smell some things.) I love it, but maybe I'll do another test when I'm better to see if it's a "me" scent to wear, but it does smell like springtime, and that's wonderful.

EDIT: oh, upon reapplying, I can smell a little salt and lilac. It's very in your face at first, almost too strong. But on the drydown it mellows into something really pretty--almost like a lilac version of Chaste Moon 2010, with that iridescent crystalline note. I'm not sure if that's the jasmine or the osmanthus, but a bottle is definitely in my future.

Edited by Miyabi

Oh my god. Salt Phoenix truly is lilac-centric, with all other notes there to support the beauty of the lilac blossom. Wet, this is lilac, lilac, lilac. As it starts to dry down, the florals come out and have more presence, particularly the osmanthus and jasmine. The icy lavender and salt spray temper the sweet florals with a bit of bite. This is a gorgeous purple and white floral, and a fantastic vehicle for the beautiful lilac note.

I have been hearing how amazing this scent is if you love lilacs. I do love lilacs - there were bushes all over where I grew up, and there is a bush along my driveway now. I don't know that I could live somewhere where there was no lilac bush, I love them so!! Hoping this will be the lilac scent I have always dreamed of owning.

Wet: Oh my goodness that's utterly beautiful. It like...ugh, how to describe it. Smelling it makes me envision a dream world filled with lilacs and other flowers, green grass and softly lapping ocean waves. I usually can't do jasmine, but am not having any "cat pee" issues here, for those who are worried about that. This really does smell like it belongs in The Last Unicorn series. it's ethereal, elegant and beautiful. It's in my cart right now, just waiting for the dry down before I pull the trigger.

Dry: I can't even tell you how gorgeous this is. Just go buy it already. If you love lilac, DO NOT miss out on this. Don't let the jasmine scare you. Jasmine is my nemesis, and it's not bothering me one bit here. This is all about that pale, ethereal lilac. I might need more than one bottle.

This starts off as mostly a softly salted lavender, very quiet and meditative to me. As it dries there is a soft halo of sweet lilac around the lavender and I get some wafts of jasmine here and there. The salt makes it quiet and soothing, and a little melancholic

First Sniff: Lavender and another flower I do not recognize.. It does not smell good to me.

Faded quickly, can barely smell it now. Nothing special about it.

Later it has morphed into something that I quite like but not sure I want a bottle of it.

Will definately think about purchasing a bottle.

Super salty. Undercurrents of Easter flowers, which is lovely. It's bright, confident, happy. Low throw, seems to fade.

Where I'd wear it: Easter at the beach