Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Nepthys

2003: Cotton Phoenix

Our first anniversary! We were still working from the basement at the time, so to speak. (It was actually the spare room at Ted’s place.) In 2003, the scent categories on our site were Bewitching Brews, Funereal Oils, Dark Elements, Sin & Salvation, Love Potions, and Diabolus, and a selection of conjure and hoodoo recipes that I had reformulated for cosmetic use, including #20 Love Oil, All Night Long, Crucible of Courage, High John the Conqueror, and Van Van. Some of the first scents (our original posse!) available on the site were Anathema, Black Rose, Haunted, Darkness, Debauchery, Faustus, Pulse Points, Satyr, Silentium Amoris, Thanatopsis, Venom, Vixen, my interpretation of the four elements (Burial, Inferno, Hurricane, and Undertow) and, of course, Snake Oil. Snake Oil was the first, and Snake Oil will always be part and parcel of who I am.

At the end of 2003, we offered the first LEs (Samhain and Spooky) and the first LE series ran (“Five fiendishly festive holiday scents!”), limited to one-hundred 5mLs and seventy-five 10mLs of each: Gingerbread Poppet, Midwinter’s Eve, Rose Red, Snow White, and Yuletide.

Cotton Phoenix has a base of our foundation scent, Snake Oil, with a sliver of Snow White, almond milk, and a pillowy poof of marshmallow layered over a sheer cotton blossom musk.

It's happened: I've found a new scent to join my pantheon of all-time beloved BPALs.

In the bottle and on, it's mostly an almond/marzipan blur of Dana O'Shee and Snake Oil. Every now and then a sniff will conjure the ghost of Snow White mixed in. I love Snake Oil but can get sick of it quickly - somehow that doesn't happen with Cotton Phoenix, it's not heavy or cloying at all. Definitely buying a backup bottle.

In The Bottle: lots of creamy, light almond milk and some Snake Oil. YUM!

Wet On Skin: GOODNESS! A yummy mix of faint Snake Oil, the almond milk holding its own, and now the addition of the cotton blossom I recognize (and ADORE) from Kwamie Cotton with a little marshmallowy goodness tossed in to add a sweet finish.

Dry Down: This might be my favorite scent, ever. Ahead, even, perhaps (just perhaps), of my all-time favorite beloved, Dragon's Milk. It's all the notes I already mentioned, but settling into proper proportions to each other, so that nothing overpowers anything else. It all gets acknowledged for how gorgeous it is- both as individual components, and more importantly, for the exquisite way they all play together.

I am head over heels in love.

Right out of the mail, Cotton Phoenix was my favorite of the group! I love SO, and adore the almond milk sweetness here. It's such a cozy, beautiful play on the original SO. I can also smell the cotton blossom from Kwamie Cotton that VioletChaos mentioned above. I blind ordered 2 bottles, but will definitely add another to my next order. Hoard worthy for sure!

Sniffing the bottle, I get Snake Oil and Snow White. Applied and as dries down, it's a sweeter SO as the marshmallow and creaminess comes through. SW doesn't come through, which I am kinda glad because when I got it last year, it didn't work for me. This is definitely back up worthy, and I bet it will age beautifully.

This scent make me mad. Because I've been a bpal fan for 14 years and I freaking love both Snake Oil and Snow White and it has never once fucking occured to me to layer them. WTF was wrong with me? I mean, I did have that stroke that one time but that really shouldn't have kept me from trying those two together dammit. These are genius together and I wore this for 3 days straight after testing it. Everywhere I went I was enveloped in this marzipan Snake Oil cloud and of awesomeness. Jesus why are you still reading this review and not on the bpal site ordering a bottle or ten?

Edited by Tramp

Almond marshmallow Snake Oil. Which unfortunately on my skin codes as almond marshmallow play-doh. However, it's got that almond note from Snow White, fluffy vanilla marshmallows and a big honking dollop of musky Snake Oil. If you love any of those elements, what are you waiting for? Go get it. Good throw and wear length.

In the bottle, I get almond and Snake Oil.

On my skin, the almond part of the almond milk is pretty strong at first, and the fresh Snake Oil is really prominent, too. Then, the Snow White emerges. It's not as strong as the sweet Snow White snow note is in Frostbitten Snake Oil, so I wouldn't say they are too similar.

Once dry, I can smell the cotton blossom musk note and Snow White, sweetened by a bit of the marshmallow. It's a lovely, creamy Snake Oil scent.

After several hours of wear, the almond milk has dissipated. It ends up being fresh Snake Oil in the crook of my elbows, with a layer of Snow White over it. On my wrists, the scent is sweeter, with the marshmallow note being a main player on my wrists, but the scent is really light during this stage (I can only smell it when I press my nose to my wrist.) I wish it were stronger on me, as I was really hoping for Snake Oil plus marshmallow more than anything else.

Although I didn't get as much marshmallow on my skin as I was hoping for, I am really happy I have a bottle. It is a beautiful Snake Oil plus blend. I just don't feel the urge to hoard it.

Edited by dementia_divine

Cotton Phoenix is absolutely lovely. A strong Snake Oil with Snow White snow and a gorgeous creamy almond milk. There is something soft, sweet, fresh... cloud-like in there. Some are saying marshmallow but I'm not getting marshmallow. Maybe it's cotton? Anyway, all of these notes blend together to make my favorite BPAL scent of 2017. My only complaint is that it fades fairly fast on me.

Wet: This smells like pure vanilla extract with a hint of cotton musk. :D

Dry: Snake oil and cotton musk. It's lovely. But not for me. :D

Wet, I get a lot of almond from Cotton Phoenix, which when combined with the marshmallow smells a bit like almond paste (I'm Norwegian and Danish, so almond paste practically runs through my veins, especially during Yule!) As it dries, the almond backs off a bit and I'm left with Snake Oil, Snow White, cotton blossom, and a bit of lingering, yummy almond paste. This is gourmand and a shape-shifter. At times I catch a waft of Snake Oil, then it's pure Snow White for a moment. The cotton blossom musk is giving me a serious callback to Enraged Bunny Musk, of which I still have a bottle of and still love.

This is great. Super nostalgic and beautiful to wear.

Snake Oil and lovely almond at first. It is very much like original Asp Viper, which I miss as the newer version isn't quite the same. I really like this, and am looking forward to how this ages. Not getting the Snow White or cotton anything, but it's still an awesome, warm blend.

Edited by milo

Oh nice. A healthy dose of snake oil and almond with snow white with just a touch of cotton for that "clean sheets" smell. Too good. Too pure.

Edit: I think a lot of people will love this, but on me the cotton smells unpleasantly soapy. Boo.

Edited by patina

I am officially jealous of everybody that can wear Cotton Phoenix well. It smells magical in the decant, exactly like the description.

Once applied to my skin, the magic is thrown into disarray. My skin amps the almond milk so it's all marzipan, with a faint side of Snake Oil. The almond starts to ease up after about 15 minutes, which reveals that my skin chemistry has turned the cotton blossom musk to soap. Net result: Snake Oil dryer sheets. Phooey! No bottle for me.

Cotton Phoenix reminds me more of Dana O'Shee than Snow White or Snake Oil. It has that creamy, sweet, honeyed almond thing to my nose, but this also turns rather soapy on me, I guess from the 'cotton blossom musk.' It's like Dana O'Shee and soapy laundry. Fades very quickly on me, gone by the half hour mark.

I bought my bottle based on the assumption the almond would be like in Bite Me, and also the fact that I've always liked Snake Oil but have never been able to wear it.

The almond is wonderful in here just like in Bite Me, but its interaction with Snake Oil, cotton blossom and the milky bit gives off a cookie/bakery vibe. I definitely understand the connection with Dana O'Shee, which personally, I don't like because it's so...fuzzy. I don't know how to describe it. For me, Snake Oil and Dana O'Shee have the same 'fuzziness'. So TLDR this is fuzzy, like Snake Oil, but bareable.

The almond comes right back in and keeps it sharp for the majority, and by the time it settles hours later it's quite rounded out and mellow. It wears very close to the skin on me with little wafts of almond/Snake Oil whenever I move. I really wish I got more of the Snow White in here; I can only hope it'll come out as it all ages.

I don't experience any soapyness, but I also tend to amp any sweet--namely vanilla, honey, chocolate (basically RICH) scents, so that could be why.

Thoughts before testing: I've got a pretty serious love affair with marshmallow going on and Snake Oil/Snow White are dependable and wonderful on my skin, so I figured I was pretty safe with Cotton Phoenix.

Wet: Sweet, fresh Snake Oil with a really beautiful hit of creamy/sweet/floral Snow White. I would never have thought to mix these two, but they're really beautiful together.

Dry down: The marshmallow comes out and makes everything a little sweeter and more fun.

Dry: After several hours, the marshmallow is gone and I'm left with a almond-y Snake Oil. It lasted forever on my skin.

Final thoughts: I'm not sure I'm super wowed by this. I wanted to really big heart eyes love it, but I just didn't. And since I'm paring down my collection in a major way, I don't think this is staying.

Verdict: Lovely, but a pass from me.

Oh my GOD. This smells like a warm, nutty Snake Oil cookie on me. Absolutely delicious. It's extra vanilla-y and creamy. The almond plays with the spice very nicely and doesn't go cherry on me. After a few hours of wear I'm left with hints of Snake Oil and fluffy clean cotton. Beautiful!

First Sniff: Foody, I can definitely smell the almond milk. The scent is now morphing but so far I cannot smell the snake oil or snow white or any of the other notes distinctly.

In spite of that is is still a lovely scent.

A little later I was able to smell Snow White but not Dorian.

I like the scent but not sure I will be purchasing it.

Wet: Mmmm. Snake Oil with almond and something.....breezy? I dunno if that's the right word. Yeah, breezy - I'm going with it. I don't even like almond usually - it smells like horrid fake cherry to me, even in the bottle, most of the time. This actually smells nutty, like almond paste. And it's utterly amazing with the Snake Oil. Currently reminds me of a less silly, more refined Snake Can.

Dry: Having a tough time with this one, now that it's dry. The Snow White has come into play, and something about this is not playing well on me. I am nowhere near ready to give up on it though, so I am going to age it and see what happens. Snake Oil needs some age for me anyway.

The best Phoenix this year. Smooth, creamy, sexy. I don't get a strong marshmallow vibe, but that's good. It's soft, but I think the almond milk comes through more as a 'softener'. I don't super love Snake Oil on its own, but I do like a lot of the blends, and this one with Snow White (which I love) is really lovely.

Where I'd wear it: Casual dinner date

Ooh, lovely, lovely! I have never tried Snow White but I love almond and vanilla, and this one starts out creamy sweet almond-vanilla goodness. This does not go minty or soapy on me as some snow notes do. It's kind of foodie but I think even non-foodie types would enjoy it as the musk and cotton blossom come out. Clean, sweet, pure, uplifting, optimistic - kind of like a first wedding anniversary! And the snake oil stays in the background at first, but it gradually emerges to cast its sexy aura, suggesting what our newlyweds will be up to after the champagne. I suspect the Snake Oil will become more prominent with aging. A bit of throw and decent wear length, though not the crazy long wear I get with Snake Oil alone.

Wet

Lovely, creamy snake oil, sweetened by snow white, sweet, milky almond, warm almost foody musk, almost gourmand.

Marshmellow very much in the back.

Dry

Excellent blend.

PS: Oh now, after 45min, there is a weird stage where it smells animalistic. Hopefully that vanishes. Edit: Yes. Good! Back to the nice scent.

Edited by zazkea

A little cozy, a little sexy. On short dry down this is creamy snake oil that up close is a little snow white, a little almond, a little marshmallow and the faintest bit of cotton blossom. If this stays true as it ages it will likely be quite glorious. I had hooed for more cotton though!

This is the only Snow White I've ever been able to wear as the original is pure plastic nothingness on my skin (and to my nose).

I still have that on initial application, but If I wait it out for an hour or so it just BLOOMS into this lovely vanilla backed by a bit of SO.

I'm hanging onto this one to see if some aging can really make her shine.

I got this today and it was the one I was most excited to try. I bought it based on the Snake Oil and marshmallow notes. This one is absolutely great! It’s gentle, sweet and almost foody. It doesn’t smell clean on me and the almond doesn’t take over. It’s creamy marshmallow, vanilla, SO and... something else. Is that supposed to be Snow White? I have no clue what she smells like.

This makes me so happy and my friend told me that this one was a “Joffe (nickname) scent”. It’s been on for quite some time and I can still pick up the scent. Definitely one of my new favourites!