Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
VioletChaos

Not Such an Agreeable Seat

The discomforts of royalty: a pearl as large as a spinning wheel. Golden rose oudh and saffron swirling over opalescent orris root and a twinkle of translucent petals.

In the Bottle: the dusty rose of the oudh and the sweet-spice of the saffron come through quite strongly!

Wet On Skin: The rose gains in intensity, but I get a faint dust from the orris root in the background.

Dry Down: A lush dried rose incense.

I don't do many florals, but this is pretty compelling. And the oudh has given it a lovely incense quality that just might win me over ;)

Not Such an Agreeable Seat does smell rich. Rose, saffron, and oudh are the most prominent notes on me, with the orris trailing. I find the oudh well balanced here, but the oudh-sensitive should sample before taking the plunge. It's a rosy, golden, smoldering blend, brought down to earth by the oudh and made lightly powdery and classic by the orris. Layers beautifully with Rose Oudh & Myrrh HG.

Rose, oudh, and a touch of saffron. This one is a rich rose blend, with a good bit of oudh and saffron. This smells rich. Medium throw and wear length.

this was one of the yules i was most excited about. it starts with oudh and saffron, i don't get much florals in the beginning. after a few minutes i get a hint of the translucent petals, but not much rose. there is a hint of orris root if i breathe deeply. this is not quite what i expected at all. after being on the skin at least 30 minutes, i get the rose and now it's mostly rose and saffron. this is pretty at this point, a bit weird in the beginning, so the jury is out till another test.

Wet: Oudh- and it's a bit funky, but it doesn't actually smell like poo here, so we are off to a great start. Actually, I quite like this so far. Floral, woody, with just a hint of saffron. It's not wowing me, but it's certainly very pleasant, and kind of different. I like different.

Dry: Turns out that even when oudh doesn't smell like poo, I still don't actually like it. It's just too...tangy? Funky? Weird. Not my jam. And that's all I can smell once this dries, is slightly floral oudh. Not for me!

Firstly, I should mention that I received this as a gifted decant and when I read the label, I thought it was "Not Such an Agreeable Seal" and was expecting something completely different. Seat, silly me. SEAT. No seals here. 

OK so the oudh here is kind of odd, with the "golden rose" element - instead of being all dark and serious it's kind of light and bright,but that stanky earthy oudh flavour is still lurking in the background. The saffron is bright and warm, and I definitely get the "opalescent" and "twinkle" elements as an overall vibe.

Here's what's weird though... I can't really figure out what this smells like! There's rose, which is strong at first but fades back pretty quickly, a background of oudh, and the dusky floral melange smell of orris root... so overall, I'm going with the smell of walking into a florist shop that has bags of potting mix open out back and really needs to open a window to let some fresh air in. Dull soft florals with rose out front, and an earthy undertone. Not really my bag,