Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
lizabelle

Caw-Caw Hair Gloss

A rustle of black wings: sweet black patchouli and clove with black amber, agarwood, and gilded lilac.

Put this on my hand to sniff and review, as it's subtle enough on my short hair that I can't smell it. Not sure if that influences the scent at all, but I thought I should note it!

In short, I love this. The amber/agarwood base is smooth and sweet, and the spice notes are subtle. Patch doesn't take this one over in the least, which happens a lot with patch scents on me. I find it to be mostly agarwood. The lilac is more perfumey than floral, and blends nicely with the agarwood. It has a dark quality to it but also smells clean (i.e. this isn't a sexy kind of scent for me, even with the patch/amber/agarwood combo that would usually signal such a thing). It reminds me of a calm, late autumn night or a walk through the woods as the leaves are starting to fall. I find it surprisingly unisex, given the notes.

Caw-Caw is true to its inspiration; this smells like black feathers with a hint of iridescence. The black patchouli, black amber, and clove provide a velvety dark backdrop for the lilac to subtly glint against. The agarwood provides a continuous line of golden woods through all stages of the scent. This is a hair gloss that smelled better the longer I wore it, as some of the heavier notes lifted a bit. The clove is a stronger player than I thought it might be—it holds up well even next to the patch, amber, and agarwood. Overall, the notes seem to sort of knit together, though. There's a phantom note of fresh soil that I get every once in a while, not unpleasant, just smells outdoorsy.

This is the perfect pairing with the lovely clove scents that have been released lately. The other notes blend together to make a great backdrop.

Really wearable and different to anything I already have, so a bottle is a must.

right off i get clove with some patchouli and a bit of medicinal agarwood. it's a very woody scent at first. the clove keeps getting spicier, and i get some amber after a few minutes. mostly it's a spicy patchouli-amber. i don't get any lilac at all. it's very evocative of the description.

Patchouli, clove, and a touch of lilac. This smells like glossy black feathers. Dark, foreboding, lustrous. Medium throw and wear length.

This is one of those very well blended perfumes (in HG form!) where it is not that easy to pick out individual notes. Overall, this is a smooth, deep, perfumey patchouli with the clove and amber supporting it. If you are buying it for the lilac, you might be disappointed, as the scent does not feature that note, but rather uses it for the overall presentation. It is beautiful!

ETA This is the third time I am wearing this and am puzzled. The first two times, I got a well blended perfumy patch supported by clove. Today it started with super strong blast of clove before setting. Yes, I always shake!

Edited by Minh Scent

Dark, sexy, gritty clove! There have been lots of great clove scents lately - Goth Queen, Wednesday's Child.....this will go really well with them. The patchouli comes through, but it's a sweeter, chewier patchouli - not dry or woody or gnarly to my nose. Something is coming through though that smells....a bit like poo? Ah shit (ha ha), totally missed that this has agarwood, and I think that is another word for oudh - aka feces, to my nose. It's not strong though, and the clove is quickly overtaking everything. I think this will be wearable for me - still mostly that sexy, gritty clove scent. The oudh often calms down with age, too.

Ok, this is amazing. I impulse purchased a bottle off Etsy because I'm a fan of both corvids and traditional Japanese agarwood incenses, with which this blend shares many notes.

I get very pungent, dark patchouli + clove when freshly applied on damp hair. After a couple hours of drying it unfolded into a beautiful spiced agarwood that offered soft whiffs throughout the day. It's everything I love about Japanese agarwood blends in hair gloss form. Lasted all day and even through the next wash, too! Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to grab some backup bottles before they're gone again. ☺️