Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
LiberAmoris

Rose Oudh and Myrrh Hair Gloss

A midwinter mystery: a perfume of intrigue, passion, and longing.

Rose Oudh and Myrrh hair gloss is definitely a rose that telegraphs intrigue, passion, and longing. There's something mysterious created when the rose, myrrh, and oudh notes intersect here. The point of concurrency ends up being rose-focal. The myrrh and oudh submit and are pulled through the rose's lens. The sillage is a darkened rose, with a subtle 'barnyard' note in the oudh bringing it to a softly animalic place. I'm someone who tends to amp oudh and it's hit or miss on me, but in my hair, it remains nicely in check. This reminds me of classic roses from earlier ages, although it wears beautifully now. A fierce, restrained floral, for those who enjoy roses that have lived a little.

I thought I would love this, but there's something almost artificial - almost vapo-rub? - about this. I love myrrh and oudh (well, oudh reasonably - i love oudh but occasionally i get a blend where it doesn't seem to show up or do me any favors) and adore rose, but this one only seems to smell nice on me after it's settled down and i can hardly smell it. This was my first hair gloss and while I think hair glosses in general are probably a win for me, this wasn't a nice one to start with.

general hair gloss impression: I have really long hair (well, maybe midback so not really long, but it represents a lot of hard work on my part!) and wouldn't dream of spraying oil on the roots and find spraying any kind of oil on even the middle or the ends to be a risky prospect, but this doesn't make my hair super oily unless I spray on a lot. Unfortunately, with this one, I do end up doing that as I try to get some rose out of it instead of what the above reviewer called the "barnyard note" of oudh and the memory of having just lit some incense.

That's safe to say not a bad smell, but it's not at all a smell I want to wear.

i have recently discovered that not all of BPAL's oudhs really work for me...the white oudh is scrumptious and the black oudh is terrible. the oudh in this is somewhere in the middle. at the outset, the oudh is the strongest note, along with rose. after about 10 minutes i get more myrrh and less oudh, and then it's a lot better and/or the oudh morphs & settles into something better. i do like it at this point- a resiny rose.

I get some fairly decent Rose incense, with no evidence of baby powder or poop (though my hair did seem to pick up a slightly funky note the day after applying, it's not terribly off-putting & is dominated by the incense). Not my favorite rose HG but not bad. Certainly worth trying if the notes intrigue you.

To my nose, this is basically a rose scent. It is a strong rose, with some traces of resin from the myrrh. It is pretty, and reminds me if Rose Boughs and Rose Branches. I grabbed this for the oud, but, alas, did not get that barnyard I so love!

Basically, I get rose oudh. If you like both roses and oudh, that's what this is. Rosey, perfumey. Medium throw and wear length.