Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Wet: Uplifting. Sweet, clean, and softly golden.

Drydown: This is a pale, golden scent, like sunbeams through a window. Clean with an herbal sweetness. The lavender develops and steps forward more as it dries.

Dry: A soft, misty burst of sunlit lavender.

8 out of 10 bones

2021 version: I don't know if it's something with my skin chemistry, but this was much, much different than what I expected. I pictured something lavender-forward (and lavender is more prominent in the decant), but once it's on, the pale amber and ambergris amp up in a way that is -- surprisingly -- like a kind of vanillic, old-books smell. It took me straight back to rooting through the small under-the-stairs closet where my aunt stored all the old board games at her beach house. While I love the scent memory, it's not necessarily what I want to smell like day-to-day, so just going to stick with my decant.

2021 version

In the bottle and on initial application, this is a very sharp herbal lavender scent. But then, as puellacaerulea mentions, someone turns the volume down on the lavender and up on the amber. I think I was hoping for a bit more ambergris from this blend, but it is very soft and comforting. Once it dries completely, I do get a vanillic quality, with just a hint of lavender remaining. Seems to last a reasonable amount of time, but stays close to the skin for me. 

2021 version. Sweet, powdery, vanillaic amber with a hint of lavender. I like it but it isn't a stand out.

I changed my mind - this is fabulous.

Edited by HerbGirl

Although I got mostly lavender in the bottle, I'm getting hardly any on my skin. This one's super subtle on me—at first sniff, I almost discounted it as a destash right away because I could barely smell anything at all, even with my wrist smashed right up to my nose. But as it dried down, I started to get the pale amber and ambergris. Still a very light and close-to-skin scent, but I think this will be a new go-to for situations where I want to wear something subdued and not overpowering. Really lovely! Definitely getting some light vanillin and ambergris on the dry-down.

OK wow, this is hekkin good. The lavender comes out in force in the beginning, then mellows out with the amber softening. I don't get a straight up aquatic vibe from the ambergris, but it does lend to the softness and warmth. Actually @sunshinedaisyblissyou are right on the money, almost like a musky vanilla together.

It does fade kind of fast on me, my only gripe. Seriously considering a bottle though because I'm not sure the decant will be enough.

If soft warm vanillic lavender sounds appealing maybe give this a shot. Reminds me of On Wednesday I Will Promise You a Phantom but they are unique enough to warrant testing both. 

Grateful for the lavender blessings from the past year!

2017 version:

This is one of the softest lavenders wet that I've smelled from the Lab yet. It reminds me of what an old lavender sachet made of lace would smell like. There is in fact something lace-like about how The Air and the Ether goes on wet, like the memory of sweet tobacco and crocheted lace, the drop of vanilla, the ghost of cognac dabbling the faded herbs of lavender. Lightly applied, this scent stays close to the skin, but with its old-fashioned vibes and dreamy quality, it would make a gorgeous sleep scent.

I look forward to being able to slather! Bottle, here I come!

Testing the 2021 version!

I agree wholeheartedly with starbrow, very much a perfect sleep scent. The version I have is pretty fresh, tested after resting a few days from the mail. 

In the bottle, a burst of herbal lavender. Woo!

On the skin, it becomes a bit sweeter, vanilla far in the background. As it warms on the skin, the vanilla and amber swirl together with the lavender and they all become one. Omg. Some core memory is being triggered for me here. I feel like this is a tranquilizer, in the best way. 

Mostly lavender on me with a hint of ambergris.  But if I sniff up close there is something funky that's not agreeing with me, like..musty or something.  I already know ambergris can be a problem note, but this smells like something different that's turning on me.  I never had problems with amber, really, so... Not sure!  

It doesn't smell terrible to me but I have other lavender scents I'd pick over this any time.  : ( 

2021 decant:

I put this on today, not remembering what the notes were and am very surprised at what I smell vs what I should smell (according to the notes listed). Don't get me wrong, it's very lovely, but, all powder on me. I don't notice the lavender at all. I do amp amber into powdery smells sometimes. It's a sweet amber powder with a tiny hint of something dusty in the background. It would be fabulous for layering. 

A very pretty, ethereal lavender, while it lasts. Unfortunately, my skin amps the amber to high heaven, and turns this into a dead ringer for Degree deodorant. And I was so sure this would be a winner! 😔