Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

But on what could an impression be left? An impression of such a nature becomes a material thing and implies a material nexus, however subtle. So far as we know there are only two things there, the air and the ether. The air is a mobile thing and could not carry a permanent impression. But is the ether a mobile thing? It is pictured as a most delicate medium with vibrating currents flowing in it, but it seems to me that a most tenuous jelly with quivers and thrills would be a closer analogy. We could conceive the whole material universe embedded in and interpenetrated by this subtle material, which would not necessarily change its position since it is too fine for wind or any coarser material to influence it. I feel that I am rushing in where even Lodges fear to tread, but if it should prove to be as I suggest then we should have that permanent screen on which shadows are thrown. The block of ether upon the stairs is the same that it always was, and so conveys the impression from the past.

the Edge of the Unknown, Arthur Conan Doyle

Gentle, almost imperceptible, permeating all things: pale amber vibrating with ambergris and a thread of lavender.

This is one of the purest, most beautiful lavenders I've ever smelled. It's up there with Hidden Purpose bath oil! It's the perfect balance between floral and herbal lavender, with just a hint of salty, spicy ambergris enhancing it. The ambergris gets more prominent as it dries down, with more of a 50/50 balance between that soft ocean scent and the lavender. It's amazingly, and yes, a little ethereal. I'm probably going to need more bottles.

Wet: Oh MAN is this good! I love the amber/lavender combo of Good Morning, London and this is just as good - likely better. The ambergris gives it a musky feel that takes it up a notch. I adore this. I had thought to get a back-up of Good Morning, London if I could find one, but I think I will get a back-up of this instead. This will be a favourite bedtime scent for me for years to come, I can tell already. *swoons*.

Dry: Oh this is seriously a winner. Sweet musky amber and lavender. Gorgeous. I will wear the heck out of this. Backup worthy for sure.

This is really lovely. Simple but smells amazing. If you like the 3 notes and or want a new lavender or amber oil don’t wait. This one’s gonna be a sleeper hit.

I wish air actually smelled like this! The notes here are harmonious and soft, like walking around in a cloud of, well, ether. All three notes are well represented. Throw is surprisingly good for such a light blend.

I agree that this will likely become a sleeper hit. Very inoffensive and would be a great introduction to BPAL for folks who aren't well acquainted with indie perfumes. But yeah, to echo other reviewers, if you like these three notes, this is a must have.

In the imp: Fairly uncomplicated, straight-up lavender. I could easily believe that amber and/or ambergris are hiding somewhere beneath the lavender, but I can't detect them as such.

Wet: It starts out a softer cousin of Good Morning, London, but after a few minutes the ambergris comes out and, oh boy. Good Morning, London was actually strong to the point of wooziness on me, but this melds with my skin to become something exceptional. There's just a hint of sweetness from the amber, and the ambergris rounds out any sharper, medicinal edges. Hoooo boy, this is lovely!

Dry: After several hours, first the lavender fades, then the amber, and I'm left with a faintly herbal-sweet ambergris. On me, this smells like I've worked up a sweat running through a field of wild herbs and grasses, then washed it off in a stream. But it's still a soft scent, wearing close to the skin. I think this is what I wanted Good Morning, London to be!

I get more than a thread of lavender from The Air & The Ether, but that’s not a problem. Wet, this is like an ambered lavender honey with a hint of chamomile. It’s gentle, herbal, and yes, ethereal. As it dries down, the ambergris and amber assert themselves more and the lavender turns into a dusky musk. This, like Lullaby, wears right on the line between beautiful daytime scent and perfect sleep scent. It vibrates at a very relaxing frequency. :)

If you are on the fence with this one, push yourself off it and buy it. The lavender hits hard at first but within an hour it is mellow, golden, and perfect amber with only a hint of the lavender left. If you have just received a bottle, let it sit. I did not like this the first day I got it. Now just a few short weeks later it is in the running for one of my faves ever. Will be buying a back up.

lavender, amber, ambergris...all winning notes on me from the lab. this was a no-brainer blind bottle buy.

and I like it, but something in the wet stage keeps me from loving it. freshly applied, there's a blast of something that smells like old boiling unspiced apples, very clammy and foul. like going into someone's home where a kid has spilled his apple juice sippy cup and made everything grimy and sticky. liberamoris above mentions chamomile, which in essential oil form does this for me, and makes perfect sense, as I know I'm not smelling literal apple fruit perfume.

then the lavender appears, herbal and trying to shake off the chamomile/steamy apple thing. it succeeds, and the ambergris comes forward, and then all is good, all is well. low throw, fades after a few hours.

Soft ambery lavender with ambergris on the drydown. This one is a somnolent, cuddly, lavender/amber blend. So good.

My favourite lavender blend used to be Yvaine, may she rest in peace, but this is an extremely strong contender for Best Lavender. It's floral while still having the strength and structure of a good herbal lavender; at the same time, I feel like someone who doesn't like medicinal lavenders would still appreciate this. (That is mere speculation, because I happen to love the stuff when it smells like a medieval doctor's cabinet.) I'd been expecting the amber and ambergris to dominate the blend, since the description only said "threads", but they're in a supporting role and it works amazingly well. The amber adds depth and dimension to the lavender and also gives it some great lasting power–still smelling this faintly on my wrists after fourteen hours.

Can't afford more bottles but that's the only thing holding me back.

This scent is alarmingly beautiful. I knew I liked all three of these notes, but worried the scent wouldn't really hold its own. But it is much greater than the sum of its parts. A ghostly, gossamer lavender - a perfect mixture of herbal and floral - with a strange, translucent body to it from the other notes. This is a must for lavender lovers.

Lavender and a kind of menthol vibe at first. It kind of reminds me a bit of Anesthesia, (I think I spelled that wrong). It is quite lovely, but my skin eats this one up, and I prefer Athenisia anyways. I'm sure I'll use this little dram for a sleep blend during the summer.

eta: The menthol I was getting morphed into the ambergris. I really like this combination, and may upgrade to a bottle. I think it will age magnificently.

Edited by milo

In the bottle: Ah, I can already tell that this is amazing from the bottle. I'm getting a lovely, cool lavender and ambergris, with the amber in the background.

Wet: The soft lavender and ambergris reign, while the amber continues to lurk in the background. I would say that this is like a nighttime version of Good Morning, London (which I already use as a sleep scent), but the lavender and amber in this are much softer. Or maybe it's like Good Morning, London and Waiting had a baby. I am loving this.

Dry: The lavender and ambergris are still the stars of the show, with the ambergris note becoming stronger over time. The pale amber seems to be content with its background role, although it does become a little stronger after a few hours of wear.

Verdict: As a lavender lover, I am so happy I grabbed a bottle of this, as I'm really enjoying the combination of the ambergris and the lavender. :heart: I may end up buying a back-up before it goes away.

I love all of these notes. The ambergris really takes the center stage, warm and musky with a tinge of salt. The lavender is standing its ground, and a little more on the herbal side. This is a lovely, no-fuss, scent. Very natural and effortless feeling.

I am a sucker for lavender and The Air and The Ether is divine! If you liked Good Morning London, The Air and The Ether is an ambergris version of that!

In the bottle: Sometimes the lab's ambergris has a slightly salty quality to it (like with the ambergris SN), however it gives a tart note to The Air and The Ether rather that a salty note. It is a bright, tart French lavender. Almost juicy which is strange because it is not at all fruity to me.

On the skin: Absolutely stunning. This is one of the best lavenders I have ever smelled. Normally I associate lavender with a calm or bedtime scent, but The Air and The Ether is bright and uplifting! The more it dries, the more romantic it becomes. This definitely smells like French lavender in full bloom to me which is awesome because French lavender is my favorite. No soapiness. Just amazing.

Words I would use to describe this scent: uplifting, bright, tart, Spring, fresh

Multiple bottle worthy. Perfect for everyday wear. Medium throw.

So I finally broke down and bought a full bottle of this lovely. I am usually not too keen on lavender, but this is just a really lovely example of it. Very smooth and well blended, with equal parts lavender and amber to my nose, and maybe a bit of musk tying things together. Relaxing, but not sleepy time relaxing. Like... calm, composed, elegant, and a touch old fashioned. This is just really very classic smelling, and it does have an airy feel to it. I'm happy to have it as one of my few lavender blends. :heart:

Edited by VetchVesper

I was frimped a decant of The Air and the Ether, and I am enjoying it a surprising amount. I would never have purchased it because I avoid scents described as ethereal or "almost imperceptible" -- they just don't show up on my skin, and if they do, they last about 12 minutes. I blind tested this, and the only component I could identify was the lavender. I would have guessed there was vanilla in here, or a sugary ingredient of some kind. I guess the sweetness comes from the amber, which was obvious once I knew it was there. The ambergris emerges more on drydown, and the lavender doesn't disappear the way it usually does on me but stays suspended in the mix, a mix which lasts longer than I expected from the description and the ingredients. This is just full of lovely.

Nice. The Air and the Ether has a classic perfume quality, but I like it a bit more.

Initially, I get an airy lavender, an ambergris-amber blend, and musk that makes me think of both white and skin musks. There's a little powdery texture to the scent, a white musk sort of powder, but nothing that takes over. The amber moves smoothly into ambergris, like a gradient. Ambergris can be iffy for me, but the amber seems to help. This is sweet, from amber or something else. Maybe both.

When the oil has dried, the lavender lingers still, rather than vanishing quickly in volatility. The notes blend more and soften. They also lose some depth, and give me a stronger impression of classic perfume.

I love the initial stage of the blend, but the stronger classic perfume impression after drydown doesn't resonate with me, so I might just enjoy the decant.

This is GOOD. This is SO. GOOD.

Very well balanced lavender and oceanic ambergris (smells like men's cologne, in a good way!) grounded by light, warm amber. Classy, neutral leaning towards feminine, and really, really chill.

New favorite :wub2:

2018 version.

There is lavender here, obviously. Definitely more than a thread. It's obvious that this is a lavender scent. It's nice. Pretty, purple, lavender.

The other notes though really do separate this from a typical straight lavender scent though. They support and slightly change up that lavender and make this scent have a bit more depth and complexity.

The amber is lovely and sweet, definitely pale. Something about it + the lavender goes into an almost lavender tea like territory? It has a sweet sugary freshness, with something almost vanilla like.

The ambergris is musky, but actually lacks what I call a 'beachy funk' in this blend. I can tell it's ambergris, because it does have a distinct sweetness, but it doesn't go anywhere even slightly oceanic. It's just grey, sweet, musky.

The amber + ambergris also take the edge off the lavender significantly. I like lavender, but sometimes it does make me sneezy. But that sneezy edge is muted by the amber and ambergris combo.

Overall you likely would have to enjoy lavender to enjoy this scent, but it's definitely different enough from other lavender blends to be worth trying either way.

Lavender-centered, but not astringent or at all aggressive. The ambergris and amber appear to be mostly there for balance. What impressed me about this one was how it stayed true all the way through the drydown - the lavender was always center stage. Medium-to-low throw and decent longevity; what could be described as an "intimate" scent.

This one is a huge morpher on me! It started off as sharp, herbal lavender which I really didn’t love too much.. no amber or ambergris to be found - just LAVENDERRRRRR all up in my face. 

So I left it on my skin for about 15 minutes.. come back to it... and whoa - where did the lavender go?!? Now I’ve got a beautiful creamy softness, almost like a musky vanilla (but not sweet), with just the slightest hint of lavender behind it. It’s changed from herbal and medicinal into soft and fluffy.. and that is the magic of amber and ambergris, what a perfect pairing! Together, they create a cushion of delicate dusky softness through which the lavender is gently coming through. 

Unfortunately, this doesn’t have good staying power on me - it’s almost completely disappeared after about 45 minutes, but it was lovely while it lasted. 

at first, i get lavender, somewhat dryer-sheety, with a hint of amber. so a fresh lavender, less herbal. the ambergris seems to grow more over time. this is pretty but a little too 'fresh' for my personal liking, though it is very pretty, and i think a winner if you like lavender.