Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
wendyb1063

Wynter Wakeneth Al My Care

Wynter wakeneth al my care,
Nou this leves waxeth bare;
Ofte I sike ant mourne sare
When hit cometh in my thoght
Of this worldes joie, hou hit goth al to noht.

Nou hit is, and nou hit nys,
Also hit ner nere, ywys;
That moni mon seith, soth hit ys:
Al goth bote Godes wille:
Alle we shule deye, thah us like ylle.

Al that gren me graueth grene,
Nou hit faleweth al by dene:
Jesu, help that hit be sene
Ant shild us from helle!
For y not whider y shal, ne hou longe her duelle.

May we be saved and save ourselves from these hard, cruel times, and may we find strength together, for we know not where we go, nor how long we will dwell here. A warming, uplifting, strengthening scent: patchouli and sweet amber with champaca, bourbon vanilla, and frankincense.

This is just beautiful. All of the notes are evident, with the frankincense and bourbon vanilla initially prominent. In time, the champaca and patchouli become more dominant. It's not overly sweet. It's not a churchy incense scent nor a dirty hippy scent, but somewhere in a happy middle place. It reminds me of something which is escaping me at the moment.

I wasn't expecting a scent named after a Middle English poem to have so many elements associated with Indian perfumery! I agree with wendyb, it's about intermediate between a more Western, church-y incense profile with the frankincense and amber, and Indian with the patchouli (warm and round, not rooty/dirty/sharp at all; if patchouli is a death note for you, you might still want to give this one a shot) and champaca. It's thick-fuzzy-blanket comforting, and hits all the beats that I gather Snake Oil does for most people.

This is the House of Unquenchable Fire's less haughty, very nurturing bohemian sister. Same gorgeous champaca classed up with light touches of frank and vanilla, only here with a big warm patchouli playing partner. It's beautiful.

eta after a few weeks of settling and a few times of wearing, the above still holds true, but just adding that after about two hours the soft, floral-tinged patchouli becomes the main focus of the scent. still groovy, but that HoUF connection is faded. fyi.

Edited by annemathematics

Champaca and sweet amber wrap me up like like a warm hug when I wear this. All the other notes play more of a supporting role. If you're concerned about it being too strong, too dirty, I can say that there's nothing overpowering or dirty about Wynter Wakeneth Al My Care. I find it comforting and beautiful. It's only going to become more stunning with age.

Prefacing this to say that in all my BPAL years (coming up on 14 or so, I think) I'd like to think that I have finally gotten to a point where I'll usually have a pretty good idea of what will "work" for me ... and when I read the notes in this, I felt like if THIS was not a keeper then I'd just give up ... that's how perfect it sounded to me unsniffed and unreviewed.

IN THE BOTTLE: The only way I can describe this is that is smells like comfort.

WET: ALL THE FEELZ. Gorgeous, incensey, all the warm and comforting smells of BPAL favorites of the past rolled into one ... truly huffable.

DRYDOWN: Comforting and still ever-so-slightly incensey. This is a perfect perfume. It's the kind of scent I'd be totally comfortable wearing "out," not afraid to offend someone that I smell too this or that ... it dries very subtly ... when I say it's kind of "perfumey" I do NOT mean that as an insult but rather it has a subtle high-end scent that just elevates it ...

OVERALL: WE HAVE A WINNER and I can still pick'em (and of course Beth can still make 'em) ... and now my box is full.

The sentiment behind Wynter Wakeneth Al My Care is really lovely, plus it has champaca, so I was all over this. Somehow, I don’t know how I managed to get this lucky, but this is champaca-forward on me. Champaca and patchouli lead the pack, followed by the amber. The vanilla and frankincense are in the back, but they add anchoring warmth.

This is a beautiful incensey blend, and I imagine it will only get better with time.

Champaca with vanilla, amber and frankincense. This one is warm, golden, and comforting. Soft skin scent on me though. Medium throw and wear length. I am also of the mind that this will age like a champ.

I honestly don't know why I keep trying both patchouli and frankincense scents, both rarely work on me with my current skin chem...but here goes anyway!

Wet: Yep. Dry, dirty patchouli. *Sigh* it has literally come to smell like dirt on me in most blends, unless there is something seriously sweet and sticky to go along with it (I guess I hoped the amber would work here??). This is not pleasant.

Dry: Dirty patchouli (when I say dirty, I mean it really smells like dry, dusty earth on me) and head-shoppy champaca. Not a win, for me.

I missed the decant circles so I was on the hunt for a tester of this when someone generously frimped me a sniffie bottle! All I can say is this is GORGEOUS so comforting and beautiful, definately will be purchasing a bottle, and possibly a backup. It;s all my favorite scents in one, the smell of a head shop, my room in my teens with piles of nag champa burning constantly, with the patchouli i have grown to be obssessed with, and the amber and vanilla scents of the body lotions me and my best friend wore in the 90s... it's so comforting. I love this so much.

I thought the patchouli would dominate, as it usually does, but instead the champaca comes out and it becomes a dry, incensey scent. And yes, the champaca is so like all the incense I burned in my room when I was a teenager. I'm not sure if I can pick out the amber or vanilla. The first time I wore this I wasn't sure if I liked it, but now it's growing on me. Very comforting.

This was very heavy going on, more than I had expected and quite incensy too, it isn't overwhelming though, just heavier than I wanted on a hot summer day. It dries down beautifully though, a lovely warm rich vanilla resin. I love it, I keep finding my arm stuck to my nose to take sniffs. It is a very soothing scent, one I would wear if I know I am going to have a rough day and need a little calming oomph.

Patchouli incense with touches of resin and floral for depth. The vanilla is way in the back. I barely smell it. This is a sweet scent but not too sweet.

I would agree with others who describe this scent as soothing and calming.

This one's a winner!

Whoa! Not sure why but the first thing that came to mind was "vetiver" which... I'm guessing is what the patchouli combined with the champaca does here for me. Don't worry, this calms down a bit after a few minutes. It's ....like a dusty but comfortable, slightly spooky attic.

...The attic of the house you might've grown up in and have made peace with an entity living there?

It's sweet (nothing crazy), dark (with a patch of light) and dusty.

this starts with patchouli and maybe a hint of amber. soon after i get the distinct pencil shaving scent of frankincense, luckily not too much. then the champaca gets quite intense, and it's primarily a warm amber-champaca scent. in the end it's an amber with champaca and vanilla-very warm and cozy, like others have noted.

I love this. It has very low throw for me and doesnt bother my allergies or asthma. I put it on hemp bracelets and it lasts for days, at least to my nose. And its instantly calming. Ive always been skeptical of aromatherapy claims, but this works so well at grounding and calming. Wish it were GC or if I knew a GC equivalentI fear running out.

Edited by mondobongo

Yep this is incense head-shop style proper. Really love it.

I love patchouli. DIRTY wet patchouli. This isn't that. Or rather, that isn't the star. This is a solid blend to me of all the listed notes. Making a nice smooth, warm, cozy AF scent. The longer it stays the sweeter it gets as the vanilla is a late-show.

If you hate hippy scents you should walk away. If you're like me and could literally bathe in it then have at.

Gorgeous, comforting, luxurious incense. One of my favorite incense blends of all time. I like to wear this to sleep or if I am doing yoga. The sweet amber and champaca is amped the most on my skin. I do not get much of the other notes. If you love amber, try this scent! I wish I bought a backup bottle. This will age gloriously.

This scent is the lovechild of Banshee Beat and Snake Oil.

It's gorgeous, starts off with champaca and sweet earthiness. As it dries, the vanilla and incense come out to play and it's just a warm, comforting, delicious blend of earth tones. Definitely my favorite of the 2017 yules.

I blind bought a bottle cuz I just knew these notes would be the perfect combo for me. And I found this scent to be so incredibly grounding and comforting and just the perfect balance of the deep hippie, incensey blends I love, without going too far in either direction, with just a touch of sweetness i.e., perfection - then the SO was like wtf are you wearing (he's all about the citrus/fruity/sweet, go figure) and said I smelled like dirt/claimed it gave him a headache (this is by no means a strong fragrance! idk) soo I gave my bottle to my sister. I kinda want it back now tho lol boo.

This has aged beautifully! On me, this is frankincense heaven, supported by the other notes. I love it. Comforting, resinous, yet bright. I love frankincense so this makes me very happy.