Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
VioletChaos

Blackcurrant Sufganiyot

Golden-brown and sugar-dusted, plump with sweet blackcurrant jelly.

Full disclosure: I am an enormous fan of the Sufganiyots of Yules past, so I blind-bought two bottles of this year's Black Currant variety, because I felt *certain* that I'd want backups of this one, too.

And I was NOT wrong. :woohoo:

In the bottle, and when first applied, this has the familiar -and delicious!- strong fried-dough scent of its siblings. And, as with raspberry and strawberry before her, black currant starts to come into her own within the context of the scent as it warmed on my skin. This years' version is perhaps a little sweeter than its predecessors, which I believe has everything to do with the chosen fruit. Both raspberry and strawberry have a bit of a tangy undertone. But black currant is more of a pure sweetness with nothing tart to counteract. It's not cloying, don't misunderstand. This is the epitome of a full fried doughnut stuffed to the gills with thick and sweet black currant jam. It's delectable!

If you loved the other two, you'll be delighted to add this one to your collection. If you missed out on previous years, definitely give this one a try. I would only say proceed with caution if you're a foodie that only likes your food scents to have a little edge- you might need to tread lightly with this. Or possibly layer with a rich non-food, like sandalwood or vetiver, or layer with a spice, like the newly released Indonesian Clove SN.

Now to decide if I need *another* backup bottle... ;)

This is delicious but it is more like blackberry than blackcurrant. I was expecting the gorgeous blackcurrant note from Knave of Hearts and this isn't that. I've been wishing for a great blackberry perfume oil though so this is great. So, glorious blackberry jam doughnut!

Edited by Herb Girl

The sufganiyots are always a good Yule investment. :) Blackcurrant Sufganiyot pairs the yummy pastry note with blackcurrant filling, which to me smells like a mix of blackcurrant and other black berries. It's so mouth-wateringly delicious, and the pastry-fruit balance remains evenly split, through wet and drydown on me. :yum:

Caveat this is fresh out of the mail:

First sniff was very strong. I don't have Straw Suf. Just Rasp from last year. This is fruitier I think. Wet down it's really jammy like sniffing jam. Wet its turning almost floral jam, more subtle and darker than Rasp. almost has a tart crust element at its edge.

Yessss!! A sufganiyot I can wear! Well, isn't this a keeper. Backup bottle worthy.

I love black currant. Its sweet, tart, dark and syrupy with a sophisticated perfumey edge. Combining it with the sufganiyot note? Its to die for rich european pastries ....making me upset that american chefs don't use currants and gooseberries and rose and lavender and caper berries and buckets of thyme and all those little accents I read about in traditional european cooking, more frequently. /rant

Anyways, if you found the other sufs too cloying after a bit, try this one. Its sweet but entrancing. Its kinda like a uhm...grown up sufganiyot? Yea. That's it!

Edited by SophieCedar

I did not expect to love Strawberry Sufy, but I totally do. It's so yummy (full disclosure - I am a huge sucker for a fruit-goo filled donut, so the scent of one really does it for me. Lol).

I adore blackcurrant way more than I like strawberry, so I am stoked to see if this is even better on me!

Wet: Ermagherd how does Beth do it?!?! It seriously smells like a deliciously fresh donut filled to bursting with yummy fruit goo. I find this less sweet and with more tartness than strawberry, which is fine by me. I will have to do a side-by-side to see if I like it better, but I can tell right now I love it at least as much. Mmm! I want a donut. Badly. I swear this even smells like there is powdered sugar on it. Oh wait, it says that in the description, duh. Ha. It's so realistic, I am having serious cravings right now! Must convince myself that enjoying the scent is just as good as eating a donut......

Dry: This stays truly amazing on me. Nom nom nom. A keeper. I feel like Homer Simpson. Mmmmm, donut....

Mmmm gooey black currant jam that is just a bit tart. I get more of the doughnut than I did with the raspberry version, which just makes this yummier. Lovely, but trying to gauge how much I will actually wear it!

Right out of the bottle, this was overwhelmingly sweet. I was a little afraid to put it on, it smelled so strongly of jam and nothing else! After some time on my skin it mellowed, and the pastry notes became a little more prominent. This isn't going to be an everyday scent, but I think for occasions when I want to feel festive and cozy it'll be perfect.

I was a little sad about this one, I had pretty high expectations of it because I adore jam scents but on my skin it smells almost exactly like eat me which isn’t bad, I love eat me but it’s just not that ultimate jam scent I was so hoping for.

True to form: Black currant, fried dough, g powdered sugar from wet to dry. I want to eat this so much. I am going to have to let this decant go..and go get the real thing. :yum:

This smells EXACTLY like the jelly note in Snake Oil Jelly Donut.
If you missed that one, GRAB this and layer with Snake Oil.
I get alot of cheesecake upfront too that I didn't get from the other Sufganiyot's.

Edited by Jenjin

Not a foody, but I love black currant, so I thought I would give it a try. Uber sweet, and pastry. Utter fail. Not sure why I even tried. I thought maybe the source currant would offset the other notes.

In the bottle: Doughy fruit.

Wet on my skin: Unffff. Black currant jam with golden doughnut.

Dry: This makes my mouth water and is giving me a hankerin' for a jelly doughnut. The pastry note, if you're not familiar with what a sufganiyot is, is like the delicious fried and sugar-dusted golden doughnuts you can get in many Chinese restaurants. Those are so delicious, and discovering that I can PUT IT ON MY SKIN??? was just fantastic. The blackcurrant note was a bit worrisome, as some berry/fruit notes smell rather fake/plasticky on me, but I need not have worried. This is very realistic and not at all Jolly Rancher, and it blends perfectly with the dough note. So good. So. Gooooood. Now I understand why there was so much hype over the ______ Sufganiyot scents!

Buttery pasty and fruity tart blackcurrant jelly. For all of your foodie Sufganiyot dreamers. Good throw and wear length.

Had to try this one...

Tried the others, but the Strawberry one, like usual, went a bit plastic-y....the Raspberry, YUM, so I figured this one might be good. As I honestly don't know the scent difference between blackcurrant and blackberry, I usually do well with "purple" fruits.

In the bottle...I smell the purple fruity jam and dough!! So far so good!

On skin, the fruit comes out in a big way... jammy and sugary and doughy! Love it!

I understand all the love it's getting above...this is so gourmand and foody! Want to eat one now, dammit! :) As it dries, it stays the same... has a good throw for me. If the other Sufganyiots worked for you, give this one a whirl!! :)

I haven't tried any of the other sufganiyots, and I was a bit concerned about the pastry note, because "cake" as in Eat Me can be a disaster on my skin. In the imp, I get only fruit, an intense berry that almost reminds me of purple Laffy Taffy. It is less artificial on my skin, though, a lovely dark sweet but slightly tart fruit, and then the fried dough emerges to surround it and nom nom nom. A fruity foodie that's not ridiculously sweet.

This is a very sweet, strongly jammy scent on me with some sugared pastry crust. My only complaint is that it doesn't have a lot of depth and disappears fairly quickly. This scent is pure foody.

oh wow - a HUGE rush of jammy fruit right off the bat. after opening the decant to sniff, my husband, across the room, asked me "did you put on something with strawberry in it?" - and it does kind of remind me, initially, of sweet strawberry bubble gum.

super delicious, juicy and sweet, it's kept slightly in check by the buttery, flaky pastry note underneath, which comes out a tiny bit once it's on my skin. the fruit is quite dominant though.

it's SLIGHTLY reminiscent of monster bait: closet, which i'm not mad about. it's got great throw on me. staying power is so-so on my skin, i would imagine it would stay quite true if i ran a bit through my hair.

this is a bottle buy for me!

When I was little I used to go to a family friend's holiday parties and every year they would have delicious tiny cheesecake squares from Costco. Has anyone had those before? This smells like the berry flavor of that. Definitely a strong creamy, custardy note to me, plus rich graham cracker crust. Okay that's all, back to huffing my wrist. :lovestruck:

The Sufganiyot blends and I have not gotten along in the past (Raspberry turned to plastic raspberry jam and no pastry note, and Strawberry was too cloying), but I took a chance on Blackcurrant, because I love the lab's black currant note.

Unfortunately, this isn't the same black currant that's in every other blend I have enjoyed it in. It's nothing like Eat Me and doesn't have that rich, jammy, dark berry scent to it. It smells kind of like raspberry scented doll heads and fig newton bars. The pastry part actually makes it smell a lot like fig newton bars on me at first, but with some raspberry jam added in, and a little bit of a plasticy-perfumey edge.

The berry is bright, red, sweet, tart and plasticy-perfumey. Drydown is all that berry note and no pastry, donut, or glaze smell.

If someone tried this on me blind and told me it was Raspberry Sufganiyot from last season's yules, I wouldn't have argued.

I have already found a new home for my bottle.

This is my first time trying one of the sufganiyots, but blackcurrant is a favorite fruit flavor of mine, so I couldn't pass it up, despite my not typically being a huge foodie fan. Also, this just arrived from the lab today, so hasn't had time to settle.

That said, WOW. I love this! I get no pastry, but instead get a gorgeous, jammy dark berry/currant, with some sort of an almost-floral undertone that I really, really love.

Assuming this doesn't settle into something totally different, this was a surprise hit for me, so I am thrilled I gave it a shot...and I will almost definitely need a backup!

Edit: Gave it a full-day run today, and it smells the same - I had another friend smell it on me today, and she was also surprised that (at least on me) this is an amazing mixed berry/currant jam, with a floral undertone that keeps it from straying into too foody...I get no pastry note at all, which was what worried me, so I'm thrilled.

Edited by Vashtya

Delicious fried dough with a sweet fruit on application. Given time to dry though the dough scent disappears completely and I'm left with just the fruit. It's not a bad fruit scent at all, but I wish the dough had stuck around for a while.

This starts with a strong blast of sweet fruitiness and pretty much stays that way on my skin until it fades to light fruitiness a few hours later. I am getting more berry smell than currant, and not a natural berry. Cannot smell the dough or donut note.

I've got Strawberry Sufganiyot and skipped Raspberry because it was too similar, and while I like this one, I don't need a full bottle for the same reason. It reminds me of both the other Sufganiyots and Blackberry Jam & Scones.

On wet, the same fried dough/doughnut note the other Sufiganiyots have, with a sweet dark berry jam scent. I'm not as familiar with blackcurrant jam, and if someone told me this was blackberry or some mixed berry jam, I probably wouldn't argue. Very sweet and foody, but in a soft warm cozy way rather than a sugar overload.

I find the dough note faded faster in this one than it did in the others, ending up just a wisp of pastry covered in mounds of dark jam. I prefer BBJ&S for the better balance of pastry to jam. Fairly strong throw, good lasting power (for the jam bits).

Edited by astarinel

I’ve never tried any of the sufganiyot scents, thinking they’d be too heavy on the berry filling for me, but the amazingness that is Snake Oil Jelly Doughnut has made me interested in them.

In the bottle: I’m getting lots of the jam with the golden-brown, sugar-dusted pastry note.

Wet: The powdered sugar note on the pastry is very realistic. I am getting a lot more of it (and the golden-brown pastry note) on my skin than I did in the bottle, with lots of the blackcurrant jam oozing out of it. It smells delicious!

Dry: The golden pastry note is still going strong, and so is the jam. I think this may be the sufganiyot that was mixed with Snake Oil on accident that resulted in Snake Oil Jelly Doughnut, but I could be wrong. I’ll have to do a side-by-side comparison one of these days.

After several hours of wear, the powdered sugar reigns, with the blackcurrant jam and the warm pastry in the background.

Verdict: This really does smell like a jelly doughnut covered in powdered sugar! And I bet it would be wonderful paired with Eat Me hair gloss. I am going to try layering this with Snake Oil to see how that goes. I will be keeping my bottle, and now I’m even more curious about the raspberry one!

Edited by dementia_divine