Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Teamama

Day of Skulls

Mod Note: There is a review topic for Day of the Skulls release years 2008 and 2013 located here. Per our Review sub-forum topic policy, a new review topic has been created for the 2017 release due to slightly different name: Day of Skulls versus Day of the Skulls. The scent description is the same for both review topics/releases.

In Bolivia, many people hold to the tradition of keeping the skulls of their ancestors with them in their homes, caring for their remains. It is believed that each person has seven souls, and one of those souls stays with the skull after death, enabling a spirit to grant protection and prophetic dreams to their descendants, and to bless their families with good health and prosperity.

The Bolivian Fiesta de las Natitas, or Dia de los Natitas, is a day of honor for these ancestors. Their skulls are dressed with fragrant blossoms, and offerings of cocoa leaves, alcohol, and cigarettes are made.

White sandalwood, beeswax, and frankincense crowned by hydrangea, rose, and kantuta blossoms, dressed with tobacco, cocoa leaves and flowers from the sacred Cactus of the Four Winds.

Day of Skulls! Beeswax sandalwood tobacco floral incense cocoa magic! I didn't know about this blend. It wasn't on my radar & I got a decant on a whim. Now I am totally obsessed. The interplay between the different notes is intoxicating. The kantuta flowers are a revelation, so lush & enticing.

Wet, the flowers & beeswax take center stage, mostly the kantuta, which is new to me. The rose & hydrangea didn't really register for me at this point. The cocoa & tobacco are present, but not emphatic. The frankincense & sandalwood come & go.

As it dries down, the tobacco & woods are more noticeable, the beeswax also gets more rounded as the flowers move out of the spotlight.

I love this blend!

Edited by Teamama

I adore all things beeswax - was pretty close to blind bottling this, but controlled myself. Can't wait to test this decant!

Wet: Umfg. (You know, that noise you make when it's eyes-roll-back-in-your-head-good?) Beeswax, yes (which is glorious, as always.) But the flowers with it and hints of cocoa are what make it so special. These florals smell the way I want jasmine to smell (not like cat pee, which is how it actually smells on my skin). This is really different than any of the other beeswax scents I have. Really interesting!

Dry: I'm so sad!!! This turned to straight up high pitched headache inducing floral, similar to jasmine on me but without the cat pee still. Ugh, I had such high hopes. Where did the beeswax go?

What IS this? I think the frankincense and beeswax stay forward on me, and I think beeswax is a new favorite -- it's like honey without being overpoweringly drippy and sweet. Very incensey, with the rose just hovering in the background. Basically like a candle that I want to bite, but probably should not bite because it is a candle...but in a good way. I would do this as a room scent in an instant.

Obviously I'm having trouble describing this one, but it's a mix of sweet and spicy, not too floral, with just a hint of cocoa. I am a fan.

First smear on my skin and I am in beeswax heaven. The other notes come forward and there is a lovely waft of frank and floral, light cocoa. Pretty and very wearable.

I was reminded of Venus Alma because of the wax and floral, so had to do a match. They are nothing alike and I was intrigued that the wax in Day of Skulls is the opening note but in VA it comes out later. Rivited there are so many variations of this beloved note!

Day of Skulls got immediately promoted to a full bottle, as it causes the nose-glue effect. You know, a scent is so beguiling and changing that you can't remove your nose from your wrist even though you know you look like an idiot.

Right when I apply, it smells like jasmine - in fact, I am shocked that it is not a note listed. Perhaps it is something else my nose is less familiar with? It takes awhile for the "jasmine" to calm down then it goes much softer to smell more beeswax with florals, and eventually it becomes more beeswax and light woods and tobacco. I really don't like the initial app, so don't think I will be buying a bottle of this.

This is a REVELATION. This is a gorgeous, lush, deep floral I not only love but can wear. I dont get much cocoa leaves or tobacco aside from the overall beeswax sweetness mixed with the frank - but holy moley I love this.

Cant wait to age this one. Next year will be glorious.

Edited by sarandipitee

I can't believe this is my first year trying Day of Skulls! I love how the florals, tobacco, cocoa, sandalwood, and beeswax cycle in and out and the sillage, like they're all tumbling around in a revolving door. The florals are my favorite part—hydrangea, rose, kantuta, cactus flower—telegraph lush ornamentation. The sandalwood and frankincense are as dry as bone. This feels very much in the vein of Kali, Dia de los Muertos, and Mictecacihuatl.

This stuff is bizarre. It's sweet and floral, with some smokiness. I smell the beeswax and cocoa. I smell the tobacco more as it dries down, but it just adds smoke and spice to the blend in an inoffensive way, not overpowering the scent at all, but lending to it... Wow, this is just too good. I want to eat my arm, and that's problematic...

On wet, it's a nice, strong floral. I love the hydrangea. It's one of those scents that makes me think I *can* do florals. As it dries, it has a really lovely kind of autumny-greenness, that reminds me of Autumn Coolness (another fave). The cocoa leaves don't give a chocolate vibe (I don't know if they're supposed to or not) but I didn't want it here. The tobacco smooths it out. This was the only Weenie I bought this year (at willcall). Love it.

Where I'd wear it: Late autumn hay rides.

In the decant I mostly get what smells like warm honey and incense, and a bit of dried fruit. On my skin the honey gets creamier and the incense a little more smoky/powdery. The florals start to come out as well, but I can only identity rose, but I also get a creamier white floral.