Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
hufflepuff

Cinnamon Chai Cupcake

A cozy accompaniment on chilly autumn nights.

Chai Cinnamon Cupcake... smells like a cozy bakery in October. The chai, cinnamon, and cupcake all seem to be equal, none overpowering the other.

I was afraid this would turn into coffee on me. I needn't have worried - there's only a faint whiff of chai and the cinnamon vanishes within minutes, leaving a syrupy cake smell that reminds me of Monster' Underpants. It's pleasant and sweet but not what I was hoping for. I may layer it with more cinnamon scents to see if I can amp that part of it.

Holy cinnamon! When first applied very strong cinnamon, not much of anything else. After only a minute a yummy cake batter emerges. I'm not getting much of the chai. The cinnamon lingers for hours, I could smell it laying in bed after a long night. Overall a really delicious cinnamon-cake batter scent perfect for fall and anyone who likes foodie scents.

ETA: It's the next day and I'm wearing it again. Still cinnamon and cake batter but I'm getting A LOT MORE CHAI today! A milky cardamom nutmeg tea, spicy, sweet, and so lovely paired with the cinnamon and vanilla cake. I've already received a "what smells so good in here" compliment.

Edited by Foodie

Love this! I was SO scared of the cinnamon overpowering this and turning it to red hots but it doesn't!

In the bottle its a very syrupy vanilla cake scent with a touch of spice.

On wet its not nearly as syrupy and the spice is still held in check by that vanilla.

Once its completely dry I actually find myself having to search for the cinnamon and chai. Its very reminiscent of The Witches but without that burning plastic note that vanilla often does to me. Happy to have my bottle.

In The Bottle: All (very) lightly spiced cupcake, all the time.

Wet On Skin: The cupcake aspect is reading more like raw cookie dough, and it's all but overshadowed the rest of the notes.

Dry Down: The cupcake note reminds me of the pancakes in Brunch Witches- just a nice, clean simple sweet batter scent. Don't underestimate that- it's comforting and warm and lovely for crispy sun-bright autumnal days. There's a sliver of vanilla extract in the mix, too. I'm sadly not getting any of the chai- I keep searching for cardamom scents and they keep hiding from me! So, I'm a little sad at that.

This FAR exceeds my expectations..! :D

Fresh in bottle I'm smelling just the hint of chai spice, a nice baked good rounding everything out topped with a dollop of tangy cream cheese frosting. Looking forward to how this one goes once settled and aged a bit.

Creamy frosting in the bottle. Goes on as a marvelous cinnamon cake, and quickly develops a cream cheese frosting. I would love to eat this, but I don't know if I want to smell like it. The cinnamon starts to do that weird dry-dregs thing the Lab's cinnamon spice sometimes does on my skin, like in Apple Butter Rum, although that finally fades in the drydown. Totally dry it's back to the cinnamon cake note, but there's almost zero throw.

Sweet Epiphanies has a good point: This is like the base spice combination from The Witches.

In the decant: More bitter smelling than Cardamom Cream Pumpkin Cake. I am mostly just somewhat medicinal chai spices and cinnamon.

Wet: Fortunately, the sweetness of the frosting note comes out more on my skin, but it's pretty strong on the chai spices. After a few minutes, the cake note begins to emerge.

Dry: This ends up being more cupcake-like during the dry phase. The chai spices have calmed down somewhat, and the scent is sweeter now, with the frosting definitely seeming to be cinnamon-dusted. This is the stage of the scent I like the best.

Verdict: I think of this more as a nice chai scent more than a cupcake scent. It's nice, but I don't think I need to upgrade to a bottle.

Chai and buttercream cupcakes. This smells like milky creamy chai and whiffs of buttery confections. Medium throw and wear length.

Unf, this is really good. Buttercream top note with oodles of spice and a nice, heavy, cupcake undertone. It's the perfect blend of cream/spice/chai/cake.

The scent of an autumnal tea party. Yes, mama.

This one takes a really long time to develop on me, for a good hour it smelled mostly like a vanilla candle. Very waxy, fake, and not at all gourmand.

Thankfully that finally let up and this became full on gourmand, but still fairly vanilla heavy on me. But given time it becomes two distinct vanillas... one in a cake batter smell, the other in a buttercream icing smell. The spices take a long time to show up for me also. It's mostly chai, with the cinnamon barely there. They're both also more 'sweet' than 'spicy' to be honest, and a little nose tickling, but pleasant.

Overall this one is pretty decent, but not my favorite. I'll definitely use up my decant but I'm not going to get a 5ml.

Cinnamon vanilla cake! Bakery fresh and yummy. Creamy and warm, with a really pleasant bite. When it dries, it leaves a soft vanilla whisper. I like how the cinnamon is assertive, but does not overpower. This is more like a cinnamon cupcake, I don't detect any earthiness + spice that's like a chai blend. Great if you want something not too sweet, not too spicy, but still seasonal foodie.

Cinnamon Chai Cupcake smells like a vanilla cupcake with caramel-chai buttercream frosting on top. I was expecting more chai or a black tea note that's more prominent, but the cupcake and vanilla notes pull more weight, at least on me. Sometimes vanilla doesn't engage well with my skin chemistry, and that might be happening here. Even so, I'll set this aside to see if a little aging is clarifying, because I really like the milky chai.

This one is not working for me at all. It smells so cheap and waxy/plasticy on my skin, like a generic vanilla buttercream candle, with a heavy handed wallop of sharp cinnamon potpourri.

I really wouldn't have guessed this works so well on me. Positively surprised by a random decant.

In bottle:

bakery serving tea, also warm spices.

On skin:

A collague naively (i.e. without knowing) started talking about how it smelled christmassy in the office.
To me, the cinnamon is nice (not overwhelming + no allergies)

Conclusion:

Yes!

Perfect, but mainly when you count the days to either halloween or christmas. Warm, spicy, balanced, chai + your skin. Straight thing.

I wore this so often last year and can recommend this to people liking warm brownish scents.

Image on bottle: really cute, thanks for the design!

Edited by zazkea

I wanted to like this so much! It smells like chai candy when it's wet. Perhaps, like a taffy or something. It's that overly-sweet, coffeehouse chai that is comforting but totally fake if you know what actually chai smells and tastes like. And I also smell a lovely vanilla cupcake to accompany that. Imagine sitting in a Sbux with a steaming, hot cup of chai, and a luscious vanilla cupcake pilled high with frosting. I don't find the cinnamon overwhelming, just enough coming from the chai.

Unfortunately, this smells great for an hour or two, then goes plasticy on my skin. I hate to give up on this, but I don't want any disappointing memory associations with this kind of smell.

This goes through an interesting metamorphosis:

In bottle:  leans way into raw batter smell.  I was pretty nervous about trying it; that's too much for me.

Wet on skin: the batter smell dries off in the first 10 minutes and the cinnamon starts coming forward very strongly, but the throw is still pretty low.

Dry on skin:  After about an hour the chai and vanilla really develop and give this blend some medium throw, as well we interact with the cinnamon for a warmly blended gourmand.  The wet batter smell has changed to an subtle, actual cupcake undertone.  It's not one I'll reach for all the time, but it's definitely interesting.

Cinnamon cupcakes with maple syrup and vanilla buttercream frosting. The chai gets stronger as it dries and the cinnamon fades on me. Initially reminded me of pumpkin spice. 

Pretty good, was not expecting the maple syrup like note but I really like it. 

I thought the maple syrup note was honey but either way, I looooove it. Cinnamon is strongest the first 5-10 minutes and then it turns into a chai spice cupcake with a warm, rich background that lasts and lasts. Cinnamon then mosty disappears. Sweet, spiced buttercream frosting. 

Sweet bakery scent, I don’t smell the cinnamon or chai straight away, and only smell it lightly on application. It’s a very sweet scent almost too sweet for me but would be great for someone who loves foodies