Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Nepthys

Cardamom Cream Pumpkin Cake

Thick lumps of pumpkin cake with cardamom-cream frosting and a dusting of cinnamon.

Absolutely love this. The perfect blend of pumpkin and cake, just like I wanted. This reminds me of visiting roadside cider/donut stands in the fall, where you could pick out a pumpkin and then buy some fresh-baked sugary treats to take home. Some of the Lab foodie scents turn cloying on me but the pumpkin keeps this fresh.

In The Bottle: Hi cardamom! I've been waiting for you!!!

Wet On Skin: Lordy. This might prove to be the cardamom scent I've been searching for all my life! Sweet, spicy, with a slight hint of chai spice- I hope it stays this way!

Dry Down: Yep: pumpkin cake with cardamom dusted on top. I get NO cinnamon from this, but it's a nice addition to the cake / cupcake scents that have popped up this year.

Sniffing in the bottle, I smell cardamom, some cream...and what can only be pumpkin, but it seems more vegetable-y at first sniff.

On skin, Instantly turns into a creamy pumpkin cake... with the cardamom mixed in! Very gourmand. Like said above, I also get no cinnamon from this.

On dry down, the pumpkin seems to be a hair more on the vegetable side rather than the foody/baked goods type. Hmm...kind of makes me sad.

In the decant: Aww yiss. Cardamom-laced cream cheese frosting and spiced pumpkin cake. This smells delicious. The cardamom note makes me think of a cardamom bun I had in Sweden.

Wet: I'm getting lots of cardamom cream cheese frosting, followed by the cinnamon, and then the clumps of cake.

Dry: I am still getting a lot of cardamom, but less of the sweetness of the cream cheese frosting. The pumpkin cake note is also stronger during this stage, making it mostly cardamom-y pumpkin cake.

Verdict: This smells delicious. I am considering a bottle (but it will depend on how hard the Yules hit me, since that is one of my favorite updates).

Pumpkin cake and a ton of cardamom. It's very cardamom, with a bit of pumpkin spice on the end. Medium throw but low wear length.

Very prominent cardamom note from the off. At first sniff (in the bottle, not on my skin) I was slightly concerned. But when I apply it to my inner wrist and let it settle, the pumpkin comes out to play and so does the cake note. This is super delicious. Also, it's nice to have a gourmand pumpkin blend for Halloween (or autumn in general) where the main spice note isn't cinnamon. Cardamom offers a little something different and I'm pleased with it. Very nice.

I've been striking out on LEs lately, so I applied Cardamom Cream Pumpkin Cake this morning with no particular high hopes. As I trekked into work, I kept getting sniffs of something wonderful, but still kept my enthusiasm on a short leash. Now, almost a full work day of wear and several compliments later, and it seems my bad luck has ended :wub2:

Cardamom Cream Pumpkin Cake is a warm, spicy, delicious blend. As others have noted, it is so dang nice to have a spiced fall / pumpkin scent that isn't the usual suspects of cinnamon, nutmeg, and clove. Cardamom is definitely the main player in this blend, with the pumpkin and cream providing a round and sweetened background that softens the sharpness that cardamom can have sometimes.

I will have to death-match this against my current reigning cardamom champion, My Little Grotesque, to see who wins.

ETA death match results: MLG is cleaner, simpler, sweeter; cardamom sugar / frosting with a bit of delicate white or yellow cake. CCPC is richer, creamier, warmer. I can't choose between them... x_x

Edited by missnix

I will update if I remember for late dry down but my skin amps the cardamom to a high greenish cardamon which smells like something that should not be paired with sweets OR worn on me. Really unpleasant. Thanks skin chemistry. You ruin many things. Under the overpowering savory cardamom I get a hint of mild, creamy cake if I stick my nose in deep.

Maybe late dry down will be better?

Eta it is calming down to a tolerable scent, not very sweet and still not a winner for me but no longer something I have to immediately wash off either.

Edited by Deceitfuldescender

This smells like something?

I know that is utterly unhelpful, but I can't put my finger on it. I have searched other blends with cardamom notes to see if something strikes a bell, but nothing comes to mind. Maybe something like the lavender-cheescake beaver moon?

At any rate, it smells very nice, soothing.

I adore My Little Grotesque, so I thought this might be along the same lines only with pumpkin!

Wet: Mmm, that's so yummy! I don't do many gourmands anymore, but the ones I do love are often cake. This is gooood cake. HOWEVER, something buttery is amping up and making it weird on me all of a sudden!! Booooo......

Dry: OK it settles back to being awesome. I may need to test it against My Little Grotesque to see if they are different enough for me to need both - I actually don't smell the pumpkin in this at all. It smells like cake and spice. Maybe a TINY bit of cinnamon with the cardamom? Anyway, it's delicious.

This was very much 'as advertised' in the best way. The name tells you all you really need to know about how it's going to smell, and it didn't morph at all on me.

Sweet, bready pumpkin cake, globs of cream, spiced with nutmeg, and very lightly dusted with cinnamon.

Really dig this one.

Cardamon Cream Pumpkin Cake is lighter and less foody than I was expecting, in a nice way. The cardamom and cream are the most prominent notes, and make this a lightly milky-sweet and brightly aromatic scent. The pumpkin cake actually trails for me, supporting with a little starchiness and a very wearable level of pumpkin. The cinnamon is definitely present at all stages, but it's not stronger than the cardamom note on me. This dries down to a cream-forward scent with nice hints of other notes.

My Little Grotesque (cardamom cupcakes) is one of my favorite bpal foodies, and this is like a cousin of that blend. It's like buttery spice cake instead of yellow cake, and has more of an airy, milky smelling frosting rather than MLG's heavy vanilla buttercream scent. I can smell the cardamom in this, but there's a cinnamon note that's definitely stronger than the cardamom on my skin.

Buttery pumpkin cake with a good dose of cinnamon and a milky glaze topping. Probably too much cinnamon for me to wear this a lot, but I think it would be great in an oil warmer.

Cardamom is my favorite spice note, and this is exactly as advertised. In a word, yum! The cake note in Eat Me is awful on me, but pumpkin cake is quite lovely, and I want to bathe in vats of cardamom cream. For me the cinnamon definitely took a back seat to the other notes. Average wear length on my skin.

in the bottle: The somewhat green note of the cardamom floats over the mildly-flavored pumpkin cake.

wet: The cardamom is front and center! The cake has more of the pumpkin note.

the dry-down: Now the pumpkin cake and the cardamon-cream frosting have come together nicely. :) I'd like this to be a real food item! There's a slight tendency of the cinnamon to bother the wrist area that's somewhat present; I'll have to remember for future autumns to put some unscented baby oil on first.

2019 version

Pumpkin cake and a thick smear of cream frosting (which maybe has coconut in it?) and dusty, powdery cardamom. Not as spicy as I expected, but I'm fine with that!

2019 version

In the decant: Cream frosting first, then pumpkin, then cardamom cinnamon spice. Even in the decant, this comes in layers. 

On my skin:

Wet, it's cream frosting with cardamom and cinnamon. As it dries, a lot of the cream -- and the oomph! -- of the perfume goes away, leaving me with some skin-close pumpkin cardamom cake.

It's very pretty but very soft on me.  

I'm getting a very lovely pumpkin bread. Less creamy frosting, more of the pumpkin spices, and a slight yeastiness. Doesn't seem to stick around for too long, and becomes close to the skin in a few hours. I really love this, and it's probably my favorite pumpkin gourmand scent from BPAL so far. I have a partial bottle but am on the hunt for more.