Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
puellacaerulea

Dead Leaves, Bourbon, Black Cherry, and an Orange Twist

[No additional description provided.]

In the bottle, this is intense black cherry and bourbon. Super sweet, super boozy; can't make out the dead leaves at all.

After applying, the dead leaf note amps up a lot and balances out the sweetness/booziness nicely. The orange note also comes out more, but it stays mostly in the background. After a couple hours the cherry and bourbon notes are still there, but they're much more subtle and blend well with the dead leaf note.

Overall, I'd say the black cherry is the strongest note here, but the dead leaves keep it from getting into sickly sweet territory. The notes balance out in such a way that the end result is a warmer, sweeter take on the Lab's dead leaf note.

From the bottle, the loudest note is surprisingly the bourbon. This one smells boozy. On wet, I get a boozy black cherry/orange blend with just a smidge of orange. It dries down to a dead leaf with a whiff of orange and bourbon. Honestly, this is more of a bourbon blend than anything else. It's like if Don Draper decided to go jump in a pile of leaves instead of another Manhattan. Medium throw and wear length.

From the bottle, bourbon was undoubtedly the strongest presence, and this remained true when applied wet, though the orange helped to give it a bit of tang. Bourbon is one of my most favorite notes, so I was a bit disappointed that it didn't linger as time went on, despite being so prominent at the start. After a half hour or so the gentle bitterness of the dead leaves and woodsy warmth of the black cherry were most noticeable, but ultimately I get the feeling of something more spiced than sweet, almost in a perfumey manner I don't quite care for. I get tempted to reapply once it reaches this state, but don't want to accidentally pile on the long-term perfumed effect.

The stay and throw are moderate - it lasted many hand washings throughout the day, but hasn't made it overnight.

I'm very fond of it, but the bits I fell in love with at the beginning don't seem to stick around for long.

Dead Leaves, Bourbon, Black Cherry, and an Orange Twist = Dead Leaves Old Fashioned! This is a dead-on, dead leaves version of an Old Fashioned cocktail. Boozy scents aren't always my friends but the bourbon here is restrained. It has a caramel edge that's really nice. The black cherry and orange twist aren't too loud either, and the dead leaves note, which can run bitter on my skin, smells like a suggestion of dead leaves rather than a leaf pile that's buried the other notes. Well-balanced, just like a good cocktail. :) I'll really enjoy this one.

Totally digging this, but most Dead Leaves blends reads very masculine on me. Luckily, the black cherry and orange twist gives it just enough femininity for me to get away with wearing it with a short skirt and heels or even flamed up if I throw on a faux leather jacket to round it out. I'm going to see how it wears on my partner—may update soon!

This is my first Dead Leaves~ blend I've tried out. So forgive any obvious redundancies.

Wet in imp ; masculine, boozy/tart, smoky?

Skin Initial: Cherry tootsie pops

Skin drydown: Cherry calms down from tootsie pop land and blends into smokey woodsy. It smells like a really well mixed cocktail, to be honest. Because of that it comes across a bit masculine. The longer it sits, the more it settles into masculine territory as the cherry sweetness fades.

It reminds me of my Italian step-grandfather. Expensive booze, nice leather shoes, smell-good aftershave & lotion, and (likely) illegal cigars.

That's INSANE this smells exactly like him. Useless to other people looking for review scents, but hey!

Low throw, but a nice warm masculine scent with a touch of sweetness. Not "too" masculine though, this is near gender-neutral. Because it reminds me of my grandfather I'm twisting it a touch more masculine than it really is.

I was a little sloppy with the imp, so I got a bit more Dead Leaves, Bourbon etc. onto my wrist than I had planned, but I am digging it. Like LiberAmoris says, it's a dead leaves old fashioned -- my dad's drink, though I'm not finding it too masculine at all. The dead leaves note on my skin always morphs into a beautiful, sophisticated, old-fashioned (no pun intended) and to my mind quite feminine perfume note. I was afraid the bourbon would be overly boozy for work or school, but it's just right, and the cherry and orange peel subtly flavor the whole. A little black dress of a scent, I can see this transitioning effortlessly from a sophisticated work scent to dinner, drinks, dancing...

I was frimped this, so excited, as I am discovering I love the dead leaf note.  It starts out dead leaves, cherry and oranges.  Not very nice at this point.  As it dries, it kind of melds together, and it smells like a fancy soap now.  I kept thinking I smelled patchouli, and was digging this blend, like a fancy patch soap.  I don't mind soap blends at times.  I like it!

This one really surprised me. Not too much cherry or oud at all-- just there to highlight essentially making it fruity grass, which sounds odd but is actually really good. Goes amazingly well layered with Green Grass oil by Nur Creative Studio. Not at all medicinal. Very gourmandy start.