Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Fear of Fog

Sinuous, suffocating tendrils of grey ambergris, white frankincense, and cade.

Right away it's frankincense balanced nicely with ambergris. I love both notes and the two together are great. Frank lends some brightness to the ambergris.
I also detect something that smells like tire rubber. After testing Nebulaphobia I went in search of what Cade smells like and one of the descriptions said it can smell tar-like. So, I think the rubber smell is coming from that note.
That sounds unpleasant but its not. The three notes work really well together and are strangely compelling.
I had a similar experience with Streets of Detroit where I couldn't believe how well the motor oil note complimented the rest of the blend.

Sorry, this review is kinda vague. I have a hard time describing it except to say I like it.

vintage-blue-diener-man-bat-toy-figure-8

beautiful swirls of ambergris, very subtle frankincense and something underneath that's kind of deep and rubbery...reminding me of old monster toys like the one pictured above. even with the touch of toy, this is a beautiful, cozy kind of scent. cool swirly blanket of fog over city street cozy. this scent softly hugs my skin for two-to-three hours before dissipating into the night.

Really beautiful!!! Soft ambergris, really gorgeous.

(I do not get any off notes as others mention above so ymmv, all just lovely and soft on me. Cade is apparently an evergreen (who knew?), and I don't get that scent either, other than *maybe* a slightest hint while it's still wet on my skin, but, it burns off immediately once it's on me -- for me, this is a soft scent, and the ambergris is just lovely.)

Edited by sqwook

The combo of ambergris and frankincense (like in The Mirror and A Specific Aberration) is a HUGE fave of mine. Hoping this is just as good. Had to Google what cade is though - this is what I found, "Cade oil is distilled from the young twigs and wood of more mature plants. The oil is resinous, a darkish brown colour, and has a strange wary smell which is even caustic and tar-like" Hmmm.

Wet: A bit like creosote - like that note in brimstone that is sweet and smoky. It's different than that though, there is also something sort of mentholated, like eucalyptus? But not quite. It's not a smack you in the face scent or anything though, and despite my weird description, it's quite pleasant. It somehow feels both wintry and warm to me. It has that, "is that cola?" kind of vibe you get from some resins like opoponax. The cade, whatever that exactly is, is for sure the strongest note on my skin. I think aging would likely assist with that. So far I don't have a clue how I feel about this.

Dry: This dries to a lovely soft skin scent, ambergris and...something ineffable. It's like a wintry sort-of-but-not-quite tree smell. It goes through a lot of stages before it gets there. It's a neat scent. Not sure how I feel about it. I will likely test it again before I make any decisions.

Nebulaphobia was one of the Halloweenies that I was most excited about this year. I love all the notes, especially grey ambergris.

This is such an amazing capture of fog! Wet, this has a surprising smoky, leathery, camphorous assertiveness. At this stage, it’s kind of challenging, but when I parse the notes, I smell the leathery cade; the sweet, resinous frankincense that codes as smoky incense; and the marine, salty, caramel-y ambergris. These notes separate as this dries down, moving apart to signal themselves more singularly. The drydown is the stage that I enjoy most, when I can selectively pull the ambergris forward with each huff.

Tarred ambergris and frankincense. It's mainly an ambergris and frankincense blend, but with a dark tar edge to it that adds a fair bit of bitterness. And darkness. Good throw and wear length.

Upon application, Nebulaphobia is strong frankincense slightly swirled with the ambergris. I may get a hint of the cade, but don’t think it’s contributing much.

Unfortunately, it just goes straight to powder. Sweet powdery fog..... I mean, it’s a bit suffocating (over-application?), so it works with the theme. This scent is not for my skin chem. Bummer. 

Weird, this is the total opposite of suffocating on me! The ambergris and frank create a gentle, mellow, resinous/powdery base while the cade floats delicately on top, almost like a watery tea tree or delicate juniper. It's very spa-like, medicinal, a bit like sauna steam. It's helping gently open my sinuses. It's so delicate that it actually works nicely on the balance and doesn't become too medicinal. Just... darn pleasant. Normally this much powder would send me running for the hills but the herbal edge of the cade balances it well.  

I find it soothing and meditative, maybe because I often use tea tree for healing. I like it! Great for bedtime or relaxing.

Edited by supreme_c0rt