Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

[No additional description provided.]

Bobbing for Apples... like biting into the perfect apple. Sweet. Crisp. Fresh. Not potpourri smelling, which some apple notes tend to do on my skin.

I'm a huge apple-scent fan, so I was pretty excited to make this purchase from the Lab and see how it worked with my body chemistry. And I'm so glad I did!

Wet in the bottle it's all about the apple. It smells like the fresh scent of just biting into the crisp fruit. it's not as sweet as I first imagined it would smell, but still delicious. After initially placing it on my skin, it develops a 'warmer' scent to it; still not sweet like a Red Delicious but mouth-watering like a Granny Smith. On the cool down after an hour the apple scent actually cools down and it smells more 'clean', like I had just gotten out of the shower after using an apple-scented soap. I actually really enjoy the clean smell, it's calming to me and not overpowering.

It doesn't last as long on my skin as some of my other favorite scents but I don't mind reapplying every hour or so; I get to enjoy the variety of scents this oil has to offer.

This is wonderful — like biting into a fresh, crisp Cortland. Not too tart, but not too sweet either. It's very fresh. Not as dark as Pure Applesauce; there's a lighter, more perfumy note that the Lab has been using as a sweetener lately which is just divine. It definitely does make it more like "apple perfume" or "apple-scented soap/wash" as noted above than like actual apple juice.

I'll have to match it up against Poisoned Apple; I think this is just a touch sweeter. I have several bottles of pure apple note, so I don't think I'll need this one, but if you don't, this is the one to get.

ETA as the day goes on, it becomes lighter and cleaner, with less apple and something almost resembling the Lab's snow note. This might be a bottle after all!

Edited by Soupy Twist

This smells to me like apple + water + a big tin tub. It's all apple at first but after it dries, this metallic note comes out that reminds me a little of The Blockhead. But this is clean new metal, not rusted.

The water part reminds me a little of Sea of Glass. This is very clean and refreshing. A great apple scent!

In the decant: A perfume-y, but crisp apple. I wonder if there's an aquatic note contributing to that perfume-y apple vibe?

Wet: Indeed, there is. I get a water-y quality from this, like a bunch of apples are floating around in a metal tub full of water, just as Forspecial Plate mentioned. As this sits on my skin, the aquatic note gains strength, veering into soapy territory without going full-on soap.

Dry: A soft, watery, aquatic apple. It's more aquatic than apple on me, with the aquatic note actually giving me a water-y vibe and not just turning to soap on me. It's rare when aquatic notes don't hate my skin chemistry!

Verdict: I do think that the bobbing for apples was captured really well. I have a lot of apple scents already and don't really think I'd reach for this, but if you like apples and aquatic notes, give this a whirl.

Wow! How perfect. This captures bobbing for apples to the T. Ripe red/yellow gorgeous apples mixed with water. It's so refreshing and clean smelling. I think this would make a wonderful hair gloss. Lasting power is only a few hours, but still bottle worthy. I'm a sucker for a good apple smell and this is sheer perfection.

An apple and water perfume. Sounds a bit underwhelming but believe me, it's very delicate and beautiful. A perfect apple scent (not your run of the mill apple shampoo or soap experience but rather the actual scent of a crisp green apple) mixed with a true aquatic. Smells a lot like Sea Of Glass mixed with sweet apple. Exceeds all of my expectations. Totally unique, a banger of a unisex blend, and more than just a bottled concept. This is incredible.

EDIT : So I've been reaching for this one a lot and I needed to come back and waffle a bit more. I keep thinking how when I put this one in my basket on the site, I (foolishly) underestimated what it would truly be like. I thought it would be something like a single note apple. I don't know WHY I didn't consider the aquatic aspect of it. It honestly didn't cross my mind, despite the concept the blend is based on : apples + water + Halloween = apple bobbing. Duh.

I guess I thought that even if there was a watery element, the apple would totally take it over and it would be just apple, apple, all the time apple. And it's weird, because if I had been told that the aquatic note was strong, I don't even know if I would have gone through with the purchase. If someone I know had tried it and said to me 'it's water and apple', I'm sure I would have thought 'yeah, I don't need that. Why would I reach for that with all of the other Halloweenies available?' I'm so used to reaching for richer and more complex gourmands. Cakey and buttercreamy and pumpkin goodness. Or musky scents, which I adore. And so colour me SHOCKED and utterly delighted that Bobbing For Apples has become a total hit with me.

It's the autumnal perfume I never knew I needed. The apple is crisp and the water is crisp, but together they are soothing and uplifting and refreshing. I've been working hard on one of my novels recently (about eight hours a day of solid writing) and wearing this has kept me awake and focused without being too sharp. I'm honestly so surprised that it's become a favourite. I thought, out of all the bottles I ordered, this one would be something I'd layer with and maybe leave to age, to see what would happen. But I keep going back to it, and not always to wear it. Sometimes, I just want to sniff the bottle because I just love it so much. It's scents like this that make me so glad I discovered Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab and the sister companies because what they create for us is so real and so evocative and special. You don't get stuff like this anywhere else and even if you find something similar, it's never, ever quite as good as what Beth does.

Edited by cherrycherry

Wet: A very sweet red apple.

Dry: Same, but fainter. Not really sure what else to say about it? Very realistic, juicy apple.

Clean, tart apple that doesn't turn full-on soapy, but it always seems like it's on the verge. It smells green to me more than red, and a little apple blossom-y. Makes me think of green apple and apple blossom scented air fresheners. Clean and tart, but still very sweet.

Sweet apple note, like a red apple with something in the background, like a sharp wood scent. The wood bark note is getting stronger and the sweet apple is retreating. Both the apple and the wood bark notes are making way for a mild lightly sweet scent which pretty much stays that way.

In the imp-perfumy apple. Not fall candle apple, but closer to that than orchard apples

Wet: apples and water. Definitely smells like the bobbing tub

Dry: it keeps alternating between a pure sweet aquatic and the wet stage

I wish there were slightly more apple with this, but apple is currently one of the notes I'm hoarding so I'm sure I could layer it

In the bottle

This really honestly smells like biting into an apple. Not sugary, not spicy, not perfume-y, just biting into a juicy apple that's freshly washed.

Wet on skin

Freshly washed apple, not overly sweet or overly tart. Emphasis on freshly washed, because there *is* a sense that this apple just came out of the water.

Dry on skin after 30 minutes

Yep. Still freshly washed apples right out of a sink full of cold water.

Thoughts

Don't let my sparse wording fool you, because this is gorgeous and I love it! It's so pretty and fresh and autumnal and fruity and perfect for my favorite season. This is the apple scent I needed in my life.

Frottle from the Lab! And, yes, it's pretty much exactly what so many reviews say - juicy fresh red/yellow apple + a water note! It's so perfectly exactly its name - such sorcery! :D

The water note isn't soapy at all - it really is like water, not any kind of cleaner, and not like an ozone-type. The apple is fairly light - it's not an in-your-face type of scent. Autumnal without being drenched in cinnamon and spice - instead it's very refreshing, and very nice!