Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Now this is the point. You fancy me mad. Madmen know nothing. But you should have seen me. You should have seen how wisely I proceeded — with what caution — with what foresight — with what dissimulation I went to work! I was never kinder to the old man than during the whole week before I killed him.

Percolating with derangement: flashing spikes of orange blossom, neroli, lemon, and bitter clove in a bubbling mass of opoponax, patchouli, and thick, black vetiver.

For now, neroli and clove are the stars of this scent, with a base of opoponax and vetiver. It's not a patchouli-heavy fragrance, though time might bring that note forward a bit more. I feel that the orange blossom and lemon make the briefest appearance when it's first applied. It's kind of cozy and appropriate for cooler weather, without a lot of throw, but it has good staying power on me. Even though there's no wood in it, I can feel the wooden floorboards that creak beneath the narrator's feet as he goes about the week before committing the murder.

There's something familiar about this, maybe like a soap that I once used, and yet it doesn't actually smell at all soapy. It feels somehow more expensive than it is. I think it would suit all genders.

I have to say that I don't get any impressions of madness, but maybe I'm just a little too familiar with madness to notice. :biggrin:

Orange blossom/citrus, touch of clove, and both patchouli and opoponax. It's got some very light top notes, but as you inhale deeper, you get the darker notes. There's a whiff of almost cedar-like smokiness to the patchouli and I think that the vetiver curling about.

It's also the dawning realization that this is not the blend you may have expected. Yes, there's those light citrus notes but something darker lurks in the heart of it all. Medium throw and wear length.

This scent is half notes I dislike (the citrus) and half notes I do like (the resins). No clue how this will work out...

Wet: Vetiver and patchouli combined - smoky and earthy. Not sure if the sourness is coming from the vetiver or citrus. It's a weird, bitter scent so far. I am not getting any clove, or opoponax (which I was counting on to sweeten this up and give it wearablity potential on me.) Blech. So far this is not good on my skin. I am having little luck with the Weenies this year!

Dry: Equal measures of tart citrus and earthy patchouli. It's actually quite a pleasant combination once it settles. I can't imagine wearing it, it just doesn't suit me personally, however I do think it's a nice scent.

You Fancy Me Mad is so fascinating—I had no idea what this might smell like from the notes, and even after a couple of tests, this has eluded me a bit in terms of how to describe. I guess this is a patchouli blend, but there is just so much going on. It's like patchouli with a bunch of flashing flights. The lemon, neroli, and orange blossom are particularly vociferous when wet, raising a chorus of bright voices. The bitter clove, opoponax, and vetiver work like an undercurrent, pulling in the opposite, baritone direction. As it settles and dries down, this is still a patchouli blend, but the markers of patchouli have been modified or replaced. There's a citrusy, blossomy thing happening instead of something vegetal. The vetiver brings something earthy and dank, but the clove is enriching it so it smells more rooted and spiced. All in all, I think I like this and I imagine I will like it more in time, after aging.