Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Dark Alice

The Dreadful Silence of That Old House

Polished mahogany blanketed by myrrh.

This is smooth mahogany with silky myrrh. So good. So glad I bought this from the lab. It's just lovely. This will age well.

This is a slap of mahogany when wet, but quickly settles down to play nicely with the myrrh. It sticks close to the skin but lasts for a good while. I'd definitely bet on it getting stronger and better with age!

Smooth cologney mahogany with myrrh. This one is gender neutral to masculine, but smells expensive and ancient. Like grand stairs. Medium throw and wear length.

this opens with the varnish and polish of the wood, settles down into bright shiny wood over warm, dusty myrrh. I dig this. funny how these scents from a horror story are so cuddly to me. leans unisex, hints of glam.

Myrrh and I are not always a good combo, but I adore mahogany, so I wanted to give it a whirl.

Wet: Interesting!! This is one of those "way more than the sum of it's parts" sort of scents. It's sweet, and almost...effervescent? Maybe there's a polish note in here. There's something at the very heart of this that gives me the same feels as Antikythera - don't mistake that for "this smells like Antikythera" because it doesn't, there's just something that subtly reminds me. The wood, likely. That is gradually overtaken but something that smells, sadly, like a generic cologne.

Dry: I amp Myrrh, so eventually that becomes more prominent than the other notes. Warm, sweet, woody incense, with this other unfamiliar note that's almost-but-not-quite effervescent - or maybe boozey would be a better word? Hard to describe. Anyway, I enjoy this, but it's not really "me" and therefore I won't be needing a bottle. It's really different though, to any Myrrh scent I have ever tried (they all tend to go single note on me) and that's noteworthy for sure. Worth trying!

The mahogany note dominates when wet. It's bright and fresh, a woodsy cologne that pops. It almost borders on pine. As it dries, the myrrh comes into the picture and this scent becomes a lot more complex and deep. The longer I leave it on, the more earthier and smoother it gets. It reminds me of intricately carved wooden panels in a Victorian mansion. Even though it's only got two main notes, it's very evocative and probably one my favorites from the 2017 weenies.

A gorgeous, intimate blend of smooth mahogany and silky, sweet myrrh. Like soft, whispery sounds coming from around a dark corner, luring you closer! I love the lab's mahogany blends. This one is elegant and secretive.

So i just purchased this second hand. I was very intrigued by the notes so this has only had a few hours out of the mailbox.

In the bottle there is def a cologney fizzy vibe that i would call unisex over straight up masculine. I sometimes get a fizziness from oudh and labdanum. So i'm wondering if either of them are in this mysterious mahogany note.

On the skin it's much the same as it's drying. Fizzy and def still unisex. It's almost ozonic in a way, not like a straight up ozone blend or rain of anything but just very light and airy. 

As it dries the fizziness settles down and the throw steps back a notch. The myrrh is not heavily noticeable yet except for a faint powdery sweetness. As it continues to dry this overtakes the fizziness completely and becomes a soft and close to the skin. Kind of clean smelling in a non soapy way, like a skin musk. 

This would probably make a great base layer if it stays as low amping and neutral as it is now. I'll have to do a retest in a few days to see if that changes.

I got a bottle of this on the lab's etsy and it's such an odd scent for only having two notes.  At first, I was sure that I wasn't going to like this, because the first 10 minutes are all mahogany and it's a dark, bitter, sour wood note until it settles in on the skin.  After about 10 minutes, all of a sudden, a charred sweetness pops up and it seriously smells like roasted marshmallows on my skin.  Roasted marshmallows and glossy, dark wood that starts to smell more cologne-like than bitter.  Something about the deep sweetness and incense-y character of the myrrh reads as blackened marshmallows on me.  Once the sweetness comes through, I find this scent really addictive and attractive.