Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Presently I heard a slight groan, and I knew it was the groan of mortal terror. It was not a groan of pain or of grief oh, no! it was the low stifled sound that arises from the bottom of the soul when overcharged with awe. I knew the sound well. Many a night, just at midnight, when all the world slept, it has welled up from my own bosom, deepening, with its dreadful echo, the terrors that distracted me. I say I knew it well.

Opaque grey amber and opoponax swelling up like thick smoke, pressed under the weight of baleful tobacco.

The grey amber, opoponax and smoke blend really well. The tobacco gets strong for a minute and then it backs off and you are left with this mildly sweet tobacco and grey amber scent. This will age well and is extremely well blended. I love it!

This is yummy! It's French tobacco warmed with grey amber. Definitely a winner. The smoke and resins are gentle, and the whole scent is like a warmer, sweeter, softer French Tobacco SN. Bottle for me. I don't really miss my bottle of French, but this is nicer, IMO. More wearable. Plus, on me, I get a bit of brown sugar once this is dry. Throw is about medium, decent longevity.

Grey amber and tobacco. If you love either, I can see why you would love this. It smells like old rich Victorian smoking jacket. It's very gorgeous.

... and I'm not sure I love it as much as I thought I would. I can see why others would go bananas, and its absolutely smashing, and yet....

Love is a funny thing. Good throw and wear length.

Gah, I am having such a hard time keeping up with all the updates, I have a huge back-log of testing, and am trying to figure out (quickly!) what Weenies I need to add to my anniversary order!!

This is the scent from the weenies I have most hope for.

Wet: Mmmm. Yep. I was right. Opoponax and tobacco and happiness in a bottle. This is rich and eyes roll back in your head good.

Dry: I knew I was going to love this, I should have just blind bottled it. I always have this inner turmoil about how many tobacco scents I REALLY need. I should have learned by now the answer is "all of them!!". This is a scent for tobacco lovers (the tobacco is akin to French Tobacco) and also a scent for opoponax lovers. It's awesome.

This is my beloved French Tobacco with a gorgeous dollop of smoky amber. The amber makes it smell thicker, warmer and a little powdery.

Of course I am in love and am glad to have a bottle.

In the Bottle:

Tobacco and the labs awesome grey amber (it smells like there is some lavender in there as well)

On the Skin:

Beautiful tobacco sweetened by the amber and lightened by the opopponax. There is a thin ribbon of smoke but not overpowering.

On the Drydown:

This is such an elegant tobacco blend almost with a light leather vibe to it. It is melancholy and sweet.

A deep tobacco blend. It is very dark with the opopponax, with just a tad of sweetness from the amber. As a BPAL tobacco fan, I am in my glory!

Groan of Mortal Terror is probably my favorite Halloweenie this year. On my skin it smells like a straight-up split of ambergris, opoponax, and Bulgarian tobacco. Sweet, resiny, ambered tobacco—uncomplicated and perfect like a fuzzy fall sweater. A backup was necessary.

Groan of Mortal Terror is aging beautifully, you all!  I regretted missing this in the weenies of a year ago, and I've been trying to get my hands on a decant ever since.  Well, I did, and if these are notes you love, you can't go wrong here.  At first, wet on skin, I thought it was nice but resistible, since I have a number of similar resin/tobacco blends.  As it dried down, it just got more and more gorgeous.  Rich, sweet, warm tobacco, perfect for winter.  I get a little throw, more than my chemistry usually allows me, and it's still lovely after nearly 8 hours of wear.  Nose stuck to wrist...

At first, sheer tobacco, which is a no-go for me. (It’s not work appropriate and also makes me sneeze.) After 20 seconds I get a whiff of amber with it’s rocky, salty undertones. Opoponax is in hiding.  After a full minute it’s more evenly balanced tobacco and amber. It’s unique, feels a bit sad, thoughtful, wistful to me? Glad I got to test it, just have to pass on the tobacco.