Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Apple cardamom cake.

In The Bottle: sweet, juicy apple cider and light spice.

Wet On Skin: Same. It reminds me of mulled hot cider, actually.

Dry Down: Same. I'd been hoping for the cake aspect to show itself, but alas, nothing. That said, the mulled cider vibe is yummy and it's good enough that I'll hold onto it no matter what, and hopefully with some aging that cake note will come out some!

Source: Tester from NYCC. This was apple spice cardamom coffee cake from one of my favorite local bakeries..Sugar Bakers. I wanted to eat it and my arm. I am glad I passed on this one as it was too foodie and made me want to eat coffee cake. :D

Sweet juicy red apple and spice cake. This is mainly a red apple blend with the cardamom spice cake in the background. Not quite foodie, but not entirely apple fruity either. Medium throw and wear length.

Odd. I swore I could smell cardamom in Apple VI even though it isn't listed, but I don't get it in this one at all. On me, and in the bottle, it's apple and something sweetening it up, but I agree with Violet Chaos that is more spiced cider (lightly spiced!) than it is cake. Would have liked a little cake, but don't get that myself. And no cardamom, sadly.

eta: after about an hour it sweetens up more on me, but it is, oddly, a slightly floral sweetness, rather than cake sweetness. I wonder if this would smell more cakelike on someone else? I'm usually fine with apple scents, but this one is turning a little odd on me for some reason!

Edited by cuervosueno

My bottle smells nothing like cardamom or cake. Not in the bottle, not on the skin, not after all day wear. It smells like fresh apples for a while and then becomes super astringent and cleaner-y.

The cider that spills over on to your hands. soft, alluring and sweet. I would like a bit more spice, but. Big round scents, the most fall of all these. Love it.

In the bottle: Cake, where art thou? I can smell cardamom pods and apple, and it reminds me more of an apple-filled chai than apple cake.

Wet: I get a bit of sweetness from a frosting note, but it quickly retreats. This scent features a juicy red apple note. The cardamom note is like the cardamom pods you would find in a chai, not the crushed kind found on top a dessert like in Cardamom Cream Pumpkin Cake. I'm still mostly reminded me of an apple cider with chai spices than cake.

Dry: I'm still not getting cake from this. The spices are very faint now, so it's mostly a red apple scent. It's not juicy anymore.

After a while, I start to get what could be some faint traces of cake, but it's buried under what seems like an almost waxy apple note. It's more like a shiny apple, dangling from a tree, than a foodie apple.

Verdict: This is not what I was expecting at all. I was hoping for another apple cake scent, since I have already used half of my bottle of Hard Cider Cake. Alas, it's not cake-like at all on me. I have a lot of apple scents already that I'd reach for over this one, so I'm not sure I will hold onto it.

Edited by dementia_divine

In my head this is like My Little Grotesque with apple. We shall see how it is in real life!

Wet: Fresh juicy apple with spicy cardamom. Hints of sweet cake underneath. I find cake notes to be really dominant on me often, but this is subtle. Gosh I love cardamom, and it's great with the apple. I'm really enjoying this so far.

Dry: Sad face. This turns to mostly just apple on me, and then it does what fresh apple scents do on my skin and disappears. This is not the cardamom cake scent with apple that I hoped for, it's a fresh apple scent with hints of cardamom cake that don't last on my skin. Not sure if I'll bother trying to ago it, as I don't think age will change a scent like this much? I don't know. As it is right now, it's not for me.

On me this is good apple spice cake with the foodiness level turned down a notch.  The spices smell a tad dusty and make me think of amber, which is probably why this is reminding me of a foodier Poison Apple.  This is sort of a classy take on apple cinnamon, with warm, dry cardamom instead of cinnamon.  

I can see why folks looking for something super cakey would be disappointed here, but for a lovely warm apple-spice scent, this is quite nice.  Also, a good foody scent for those who don't generally like foody scents.  Alas, I'm just not much for smelling like apples.  Off to swaps!