Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Red apple, sweet patchouli, tobacco leaf, and amber.

I get mainly a sweet patchouli blend with amber, and touches of both apple and tobacco. This is perhaps the least "apple" of all the NYCC Apple 2017 blends I've tried. This one is a sophisticated, sultry, perfumey type of patchouli. Good throw and wear length.

So Apple IV smelled SO familiar when I applied it wet, but it was like I couldn't place it... Lightbulb moment!! Remember when Black Lace got rereleased, and somehow had apple the second run of them? ( It's since aged off in my BL but it really was lovely.)

Anyway, this is exactly as I remember that having been. It's as though it could be one of the Laces. It's beautiful. Love.

Smoking incense through an apple. Like. literally if a stoner had an apple and some leaf... Not a bad scent but patchouli turns unshowered hippie on me in an instant. Overwhelming and unpleasant.

I recently hunted down Apple X and was disappointed. This is the elegant patchouli-apple blend I have been looking for.

Sadly, I've never smelled the apple-heavy version of Black Lace, but I do agree that this bears a lot of similarities to the other Laces I have experienced. It's sophisticated and perfume-y in the best way. The patchouli is indeed a sweet variety; it's jammy and reminds me of the purple / "fruit-chouli" patch that is common in more commercial perfumes (Mdme. Moriarty's patch also smells similar to this, IMO). This is in no way a criticism; I personally love the sweeter, more approachable patchouli varieties. The apple adds a freshness that cuts through what would otherwise be a very rich and heavy combo of patch, amber, and tobacco.

I love BPAL's apple blends and have amassed a sizeable collection of them, but I'm so glad to have this particular bottle and will make room for it.

This goes on juicy red apple. It does slowly morph. The amber and patchouli start to make you feel fancier. I don't know why, but this reminds me of walking through a Nordstroms. Slightly fruity, slightly clean, slightly rich.

Interesting seeing the above review mention Apple X. This is far away from that. This is lighter and more elegant. Apple X is dark and patchouli-heavy. This is red apple rounded out by amber, tobacco leaf, and definitely sweetened by the patchouli. But the apple remains first. Apple X seems like it's patch first, surrounded by apple.

Depending on what you're looking for, I would go for a decant before getting a bottle. Unless you know you like all these notes independently. I can see some apple fans being disappointed, as well as some tobacco fans. If you're an apple lover in all forms, this is a nice addition to the collection.

On wet:  Apple, sweet amber, & patch predominate. I can barely smell the tobacco leaf. Very nice, well-balanced.

Dry: The apple in this blend has a vegetal, apple-skin note to it. My skin tends to amp that note, making the overall balance shift in a green direction as it dries down.

Verdict: I'm happy I got to try this, but my skin throws the balance out of whack as it dries. Not for me, need to find a loving home for this bottle.