Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Jenjin

Wednesday's Child is Full of Woe

Our friend, Lee Moyer, asked if Lilith could be a model for an illustration of Wednesday Addams that he was working on. They wanted a photo of her in a lab and of course I jumped at the chance to take a photo of my baby. I grabbed my camera and we set up a little table. We had so much fun decorating the table. Lilith was running around grabbing things and saying, “Can we use this? Can we use that?” Luckily for her, there’s no shortage of creepy things scattered around her house.

A little kid’s interpretation of a gothy goth perfume: sugared clove and vanilla patchouli with cacao, dried Avignon rose petals, and a bit of black cherry.

Ahhhh, sugar crusted spices all swimming around in creamy, dreamy perfect patch. The beautiful clove is the top note, along with heavenly vanilla and the fizzy cherry notes, this verges on being gourmand in a candied way. The rose is dry and delicately entwines with the heavier dark notes, this is so pretty and youthful for a spiced fragrance. I seriously love sugared scents, and Wednesday hits my sweet spots just right. I can also see this becoming even more glorious in a few months as the cherry note deepens with the rose, and it really is a happy shoegazer girly version of Goth Queen to me.

Wednesday’s Child is Full of Woe is so gorgeous. In the bottle, I was unsure because the clove is a bit strong, but applied, it dries down to a beautiful sweet patchouli and clove scent. I don't smell any of the other notes such as cherry, vanilla, or cocoa. It definitely has goth vibes. A couple of hours later, it’s very light and doesn’t seem to last long. Regardless, this one is a keeper. 1f5a4.png1f987.png

This scent is kind of amazing. I intentionally blind-bought a bottle straight away because of all the Lil's this year, this was the one I suspected might require a backup bottle, and I was RIGHT. In the bottle the sugared clove is front and center, and is SO disconcerting that it reminded me of magic marker. But...in a compelling way. Wetly applied to my skin, the magic marker fades, the vanilla starts to peek out and the clove warms up, making this scent immediately something that I want to keep sniffing. Upon dry down, the vanilla comes out slightly more, the sugar note doesn't amp as it sometimes doe on me but adds a little "crunch" the way Sugar-Crusted Marshmallow Chick did. I'm not getting any of the patchouli, the clove/vanilla combination is the star of this show. As with all heady notes, I anticipate this only getting better with age.

DEFINITELY need a backup bottle!

In the bottle: The sugared clove note is the most prominent note, followed by the vanilla patchouli, a bit of cacao, and finally, the black cherry.

Wet: The sugared clove note reigns. The vanilla patchouli is lurking behind it, and it's a nice, warm, soft patch. The cacao note just seems to be adding warmth and sweetness, because while I can tell it's there, it's not really giving me a chocolate-y vibe. The black cherry note was faint at first, but it seems to be getting stronger as this dries down. I'm still not really getting any of the dried rose petals.

Dry: In the early dry phase, I started to be able to detect a bit of the dried rose petals. Now, it's mostly vanilla and sugared clove, with the sugared clove being far more prominent near the crooks of my elbows, and the vanilla being quite strong on my wrists.

Several hours later, I can detect some of the dried rose petals and black cherry mingling with the vanilla and clove on my wrists, with some faint cacao in the background. The patchouli and clove end up being the more prominent notes near the crooks of my elbows.

Verdict: I knew I needed this just with the phrase 'sugared clove', and I was right! This is a stunning sugared Goth scent, and I am thinking a back-up will be necessary.

Edited by dementia_divine

Very much clove and patchouli. There is a soft rose on application, but it doesn't last. I was hoping the other notes would soften the hippy-ish vibe (after all, Bloodbath BO was a surprise hit, so I thought, why not?!), but it just ends up very much clove and patchouli. I'm sure people will love it, but it's not for me.

eta: Okay, okay, the longer I am wearing this, the more it becomes a SUGARED clove and patchouli, so I have to give credit where it is due. Also, man, it lasts forEVER. I only tested a dab in the crook of my elbow and it was still going strong four hours later, like it had just been applied. Then I TOOK A SHOWER and it faded only slightly. I still got a whiff when I woke up, and at 3pm today I can still find the scented spot with my nose if I look hard enough. So, yeah.

Edited by Leopard403

Wet: masculine and clovey. I guess I'm translating the patchouli as a masculine note when mixed with cocoa and rose. I know, totally weird, and doesn't do what you expect. My nose is weird. Smelling up close, it's sweeter, maybe slightly less masculine.

During drydown: The clove becomes less powerful, but it's still there. It somehow smells leathery to me.

Dry: clovey tobacco/leather

This is pretty, but not for me. I do think it's a cool blend for the name, though.

In the bottle, I got a really weird, almost chemically smell from this (maybe what someone upthread described as magic markers?), but as soon as it hit skin it was SUGARY CLOVE with a backing band of patchouli, just a hint of the cocoa and vanilla - and no rose, which is fine by me. It pretty much stayed the same through the drydown and the rest of the evening. I couldn't stop sniffing my wrist - definitely a hit! Very intrigued to see how this will age, too.

I get mainly a sugared clove, patchouli, and roses. To me, this is Goth Queen's little sister. For all of those that missed out on Goth Queen, check Wednesday's Child. It's got a very similar base, but it's lighter, and slightly more feminine because of the roses and black cherry. Less stompy in your boots, and more deep eyeliner and mysterious smiles. Good throw and wear length.

Vaguely considering a bottle of this.

Wet: Mmm!!! Clove!! I love clove so much. The cherry comes through as well and sweetens it nicely. The whole scent is quite sweet, in fact, which I really love. This feels like a lighter, more whimsical Goth Queen. I am now getting hints of the "vanilla patchouli" - whatever that is, it reminds me of Banshee Beat! Like there's a tiny drop of BB in there with the clove and cherry and general gothiness Love it!

Dry: This dries down to a much more subtle cherry and clove scent. It's lovely, soft and sweet. Everything you'd want in a clove scent. It really is like a sweet innocent version of a goth perfume. Love it!

I'm so glad I blind bought a bottle of this one. It's really nice. I was a little scared of the rose note, as I don't tend to enjoy rose, but it makes only a brief, light appearance. What I get from start to finish with this one is primarily sugared clove and light patchouli. It reminds me so strongly of high school nights, smoking Djarum cloves and wearing the patchouli oil I got from the local headshop. Just softer, sweeter, and lighter. Total hit. Medium wear length and throw.

Yeah, so, clearly I had to get this one, for the name alone, but I'm loving the scent, as well. I agree with pretty much everything everyone has said. It's mostly sweet clove and patchouli, and maybe some Rose and cacao adding some depth in the background, which is nice because clove to me can sometimes be overly pungent. I don't really get any cherry, and as it dries, the patchouli kind of shoves the clove back, so it reminds me a little of silky bat. Granted, it just arrived and hasn't had much time to settle, but it's already pretty amazing.

This one is so nice in the bottle, mostly clove and light patchouli. On, it goes slightly pickle juice, and stays that way for about half and hour, then settles into a soft clove. I still can't get over the pickle juice, and I can still imagine the sourness even after it disappears. Really has so much promise, not sure what is the culprit. I'm going to hang on to it for awhile to see if it improves.

I took a gamble here, as none of the notes in particular call to me. But the bottle photo is just adorably witchy and I had to try. In the imp I recoiled. I waited a week to try it on skin. Immediately on application I am getting church incense. So funny, but I am not getting any of the notes! Just a beautiful smokey church incense. Oh this is heavenly. It is just delicious. Drying down it gets a touch more sugary. I don't know if it suits me, as I have no perfumes like it. Wednesdays Child is full of delight!

With time this is even lovelier and complex, sweet and heady. I want a bottle! 

Edited by Nilbog

I have nothing better to add to the wonderful reviews above, but I absolutely adore this and will be getting 13,296 back up bottles.

It goes on a bit bubblegummy. Must be the cherry and rose. There's a faint picklejuice note that goes away. I'm weirdly reminded of frankincense here. Maybe that's why some people get a church incense note?

Not too spicy, I can pick out all the notes. A bit girly and very nice.

In the bottle: With each whiff, I get a different, lovely note. :)

Wet: All the notes, in a gorgeous, slowly-blending combo. *whuffles her wrist*

The dry-down: This is just *amazing* and *wonderful*. It really doesn't morph, and is a sweet but gothy scent.

I get the comparisons to Goth Queen. When I was Lilith's age I wanted to dress like Wednesday Addams. :)

Wow, every single Lilith has improved with just a bit of aging. Every note in Wednesday's Child is Full of Woe was appealing to me—I think I was hoping for a gothy version of Venus Libitina, and that's what I got. :) Both share notes of rose and black cherry, and these are the predominant notes here as well. Wednesday's Child adds clove, cacao, and vanilla patchouli, and they are good additions! The clove is a real feature, mixing with the other notes to give the impression of carnation, rather than rose. Beautiful scent!

On me, this is a dusty, bland, flat clove with black peppery tones and a hot, sour, perfumey something that I think is the rose. I don't get any vanilla, patchouli, cocoa or cherry *at all.* It's strange. Fades quickly to a black peppery, dusty, woody clove scent that is barely there on my skin. No sweetness.

My bottle was purchased via another BPALer, not direct from the Lab.

In the bottle: Soft, sweet clove.

On my skin:

As it's drying, the patchouli pokes its nose out for a bit, but it's never really more than an undercurrent. The rose does the same, but it's only distinguishable in fleeting moments.

Ultimately, it goes back to the more straightforward sweet clove as in the bottle -- only with considerably more throw -- laced with the barest hint of rose.

I never do get any of the cacao or cherry, which is fine with me since this blend is exquisite as-is.

Edit 2/20/19 -- Coming back to add that the wear length on this is pretty great. I kept catching myself today -- seven, eight, nine hours after applying -- and thinking "wow, I smell great!"

Edited by torischroeder9

Wednesday’s Child is a soft muted clove scent, dusty and slightly sweetened. I can recognize a hint of cherry lurking amongst the other earthy notes. There is a bit of the patchouli woodsiness coming through, nothing funky.
I’m guessing the cacao what bring the dusty effect. Maybe the dried rose petals are doing something to that effect, as well, though I don’t pick them out. 
Something about the scent enchants me to keep sniffing my slathered wrists, yet, at the same time, it bores me almost to tears. Okay, I’m exaggerating. You understand, right? 
It’s a cozy sort of scent, fitting for moping about on an overcast day, full of woe.

I was really looking forward to trying this since I grew up on the Addams Family show and was born on a Wednesday. At first sniff, this does match the description perfectly about being a kid's interpretation of a gothy perfume. The clove and patchouli were the most dominant on me with a tiny little bit of rose showing through after drying. I sadly didn't get any black cherry notes or the cacao.

This would have been a bottle purchase if the wear time was better. Only a couple hours on me :(. But if you don't mind that, this could be a great scent if you love patchouli and clove and don't mind that there is little to no sweetness.

This is super, super clovey. I knew it would be clove heavy but I didn't know the cloves would be quite this prominent. However, as a fan of all things clove and spices, of course I love it! There is a dry, chewy patchouli mixed with the clove and both of those are the main components of this scent on my skin. I'm not getting the cherry, the cacao, or even the rose. I'm absolutely not getting any kind of sugar to this either.

It's very different than my image of this as a "little kid's take on a goth perfume" with extra sugar and cocoa and sweetness, but as someone who loves cloves and patch I'm not disappointed at all. If I do want a little extra sweetness, I can layer with a sugary or marshmallow SN and I think the results would be beautiful. (Note to self: I need to try this ASAP!) Otherwise, this is a great scent as is. I'm super happy with my purchase and would buy it again if I ever run out and found more. I just wouldn't go into it thinking I'd get a sugary goth perfume this time.

If you go into it not expecting it to be a sweet goth take, I think you will love it. If you love patchouli and cloves, it's a must. If you like your perfumes extra gourmand and don't want something drier with a spicy kick to it, maybe this won't be your thing.

Edited by Kanra

Apparently I never reviewed Wednesday's Child.  I'm one, full of woe FTW!  And I love this big clove scent.  It isn't complicated, which is probably why it fits Beth's idea of a kid's goth perfume, but it's not an infantile sugarbomb foodie.  Sugary clove is the star here, everything else is singing quiet backup vocals though if I try hard I can smell the patch, the cocoa, even the tiniest bit of cherry and dried roses.  If clove is a knockout note on you, this is one to search out.