Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
VioletChaos

Spinning on Graves

Late at night, as you walk through a dark and creepy cemetery, all is quiet except for the giggling of two kids: one is eight and one is fifty-eight.

They are standing in the middle of the tombstones; the bigger kid is spinning the little kid around by her arms.

They spin and spin and then fall down laughing.

What could be more fun than falling down on people’s graves?

Dorian and lavender mist, crushed grass, cypress leaf, and a drop of clove.

In The Bottle: I get a faint whiff of mint, and a subtle note of fresh cut grass. It's all very light, even in the bottle.

Wet On Skin: The lavender in this "mist" form has something vaguely lemony about it. It reminds me overall more of Alice than Dorian. That said, they feel in a similar niche, a soft and lovely gender-neutral scent.

Dry Down: THERE'S the Dorian! He's definitely there, though obviously mixed with other things. The clove is also out now, but softly, in the background. Considering the notes, this fragrance has a very low throw and is overall very soft, like a whisper of Dorian whilst drinking a bit of black lemony tea on a warm day in a field of grass.

So much more than I anticipated, so glad I got a bottle!

In the bottle: I get all of the notes in the order that they're listed. Dorian, lavender, crushed grass, cypress, and a bit of clove. Sometimes, I get more of the cypress than the crushed grass when I open the bottle and smell it.

Wet: Lavender mist, Dorian, and crushed grass. I, too, am getting lemon from this, which I believe is the Dorian mingling with the crushed grass. The clove and cypress are in the background, but the clove is beginning to get stronger the longer this sits on my skin. My skin tends to do this to clove, so I wouldn't be surprised if it played a lesser role on someone else's skin chemistry. At the moment, it hasn't overtaken the dominant notes.

Dry: The Dorian reigns, followed by the lavender mist, and then the clove. The green notes have calmed down significantly and both reside in the background.

After several hours, it becomes mostly Dorian (particularly the sugared vanilla tea note) and clove on me.

Verdict: This is lovely and really comforting, and I suspect that, like Dorian, it will only get better with age. I'm so happy to have a bottle of this, and I may end up needing a back-up or two before it goes away.

Edited by dementia_divine

This blend for me is Green Dorian. It doesn't morph or change on me at all, but I appreciate and love how straightforward it is, especially since I easily get 10 hours of wear from it.

It's a bit of the lavender + Dorian combo that I love so much about The Serpentine, but with a fresh, grassy element that is totally its own. I don't get much, if any, clove, so those who fear spices should fear not here.

Verdict: Back up worthy for sure. Beautiful, fresh, and a nice twist on such a fan favorite base.

Sweet Dorian, cool grass, and lavender. It reminds me to the Serpentine, with a fresh grass element to it. If you like either lavender or Dorian, you'll like this. Medium to low throw and good wear length.

Wet: In the bottle, this is so GREEN, so I was worried it wouldn't smell much like Dorian. And initially it doesn't. It smells like fresh cut grass, which is a scent that I love, but not what I was hoping for out of this. I sure hope it settles! I have had the bottle a few days now, but it may need more time.

Dry: It takes a good 40 minutes at least for the crash note to burn off. To be fair, I do tend to amp it. Once it finally settles on my skin though, this is a big dose of Dorian, with hints of grass and just a touch of clove. Lovely!! I imagine it will just get better with age. I do love plain Dorian better, and The Serpentine works better on my skin, but with Dorian being so scarce these days, this is wonderful to have. <3

I love this! At first, grass and lavender, which is pretty nice in it's own right. As time goes on, it must be everything meshing together, but it's almost like a mild, non-smoky pipe tobacco. I'm not getting any of the notes on their own, now, but seemingly blending so well together. It's hypnotic, and relaxing, and my spidy senses didn't let me down, as I went straight to bottle with this one.

in the bottle, it's Dorian with a bit of greenness behind it, which is amplified when on the skin. While it dries down, the grass gets stronger, and it smells like things I wouldn't want to mix together... a kind of uneasy bride to Nosferatu...

The lavender and the grass compete with the Dorian notes for awhile, and then the Dorian takes center stage, backed by lavender, pretty low throw...

I made a cocktail with lime while wearing it and it made me wish there was more of a citrus component, but I suppose layering could fix that. I'm just not sure if I am that interested.

It's nice, I might keep the imp for a sleep scent, or I might swap it.

Edited by urbanruralferal

Spinning on Graves is very grassy. Beautiful fresh cut grass note here, mixing with the lavender. The Dorian comes through on the drydown, enriching this with tea and fougere. The cypress leaf and clove are subtle, adding additional greenery and a hint of spice. Very green and herbal. I think this scent would be ideal for those who love the grass note, as it is used well here.

I agree with grassy. I don't think this smelled anything like I was expecting. It was more astringent than I was expecting thanks to the lavender. And it seemed like the clove wanted to take over. I don't know enough about Dorian to say whether this is a must-have for Dorian lovers, but it's worth trying.

No Dorian or clove as far as I can tell. Spinning is a cold, mentholic lavender and green, herbal, minty presence with a pine/evergreen-ish note from the cypress. Cold, medicinal. minty and herbal. I need to stop buying things just because they mention Dorian in the description.

This was my first exposure to Dorian, yet from this scent I got grass. Grassy grassy grass.

I LOVE Spinning! I don't get grass from it, except perhaps for the first few minutes. Dry on me, it's not unlike Cotton (or Paper?) Phoenix--creamy, sweet, Dorian-y. That drop of clove is the perfect amount to set Spinning apart from similar blends, without making it smell like a craft store at Christmas. True love!

This is beautiful- a grassy Serpentine! The grass is not overwheming, but adds a fresh green dimension in the first stages of the perfume. I agree with reviewers noting similarity to Paper Anniversary. There is the tiniest hint of clove in final drydown.

This is like Dorian squared. When original Dorian is allowed to age for a while the astringency of the tea brings it a kind of greenness, and the cypress and grass in this seem to be the next logical step on that path. I've never been able to smell the clove, but I always get the afterthought of lavender, though it never goes far before it disappears.

A lighthearted but sophisticated scent, not as sensual as the original. Good for summer.

Adding joy to my days of isolation by reviewing my hoard of oils...

This is day 17: Spinning on Graves

Fresh on, its.... well fresh 😏

Freshly cut grass with a very soft and sweet lavender background.

The Dorian blossoms and it’s absolutely gorgeous....

Sweet vanilla and lavender tea enjoyed sitting on freshly cut grass underneath a gentle warm sun with a cool breeze. 

It’s sophisticated yet soft. Fresh yet cosy.

After an hour or so, the musk and vanilla tea comes out more, with lavender gently in the background and the fresh grass has mostly faded away. It’s ethereal and sophisticated. Absolutely gorgeous 💕

Weird! In the bottle, super sweet grass with a sharp and sweet edge.

On the skin... oooooh ok now I smell a bit of clove and the grass mellows out. still sweet.

After about 20 mins, WOW! What a morpher. It's delicious. I really don't detect much lavender. It's like sweet grass, Dorian and a smidge of warmth from the clove that is not obviously clove. A sweeter, daintier version of Dorian V2 that I am loving. 

Lemon lavender Dorian with some grassy notes. Clove is pretty faint on me, but it comes out more when dry. I like it, maybe not more than regular Dorian, but this is still a nice summery blend. Dorian itself is probably the second faintest after the clove. Honestly, I might not have been able to tell Dorian was in here if I didn't know. 

This is definitely a grass plus Dorian. It is very very heavy on the grass though. But the Dorian does have a nice grounding affect on the grass so it’s not just a purely green scent. There’s also some herbs to it (honestly gets a little weedy).

A little too grassy for me, not enough Dorian.

I will say that I do preferred the advanced drydown stage, because the grass is gone and it’s sort of just like a nice green Dorian moment. And I will also say that, like the other Dorian variants that I tried, this one is a laster. I’m about 3 1/2 hours into application, and I can still very strongly smell the Dorian’s

I think this will be someone’s favorite, it’s just not mine.