Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Deceitfuldescender

Storyboard: Julius Caesar

Lilith has been taking kiddo Shakespeare classes for the past four years, and absolutely loves them. Last year, they did a mini-series focusing on Julius Caesar, King Lear, and the Tempest. The kids analyze the plays, and perform scenes from them; then, at the end of the cycle, they put together a play of their own based on the themes in the works of Shakespeare that they have studied. Their play this time around was entitled Evil Bunny.

Lilith performed as Marc Antony, and showed off her orator skills. Hearing Lilith speak at Caesar’s funeral gave me the chills. She came to bury Caesar, not to praise him.

Macerated myrrh, rose petals, and iris with frankincense and a splash of blood.

Again not my normal sort of scent but I figured I would give it a shot.

On early drydown I get sweetish myrrh, with something powdery (iris?) and non tea rose rose. Nothing is overpowering, I do not really get the frank or blood at this juncture. The rose is pretty nice, sweetish not too fresh but not long dead either. After a little bit the frank comes in with the myrrh. Still no blood though.

Eta: late dry down appears to be a sweet myrrh and rose petal.

Sweet myrrh, touch of rose and resins, and a bit of powderiness from the iris. This one is a sweet, slightly floral resinous blend. Medium throw but great wear length.

Resinous myrrh, dancing with a strong, mature red rose. I do get little wiffs of blood from it but its more juicy cherry than metallic. It is slightly clean smelling, almost soapy from the iris and a tiny drop of midnight dew. It improves for after the drydown. The resins warm up and give the florals a lovely sweetness that I can only describe as Dracula's kiss.

IN THE IMP: Resiny rose.

Applied to a wrist and in the crook of my arm.

WET: Rose and myrrh in its lovely wet stage (myrrh has a tendency to sometimes turn "sweaty socks" on me when it dries down in perfume blend form though it stays awesome when it's, say, in a bath oil). Very resiny and rich and best of all NO IRIS at this point. The wet scent is quite simply exquisite.

INITIAL DRYDOWN: I dabbed this really sparingly for fear of the myrrh but it's got a TON of throw even so ... the initial early drydown stays true to the wet scent.

FINAL DRYDOWN: This is a really great great great blend. It's resiny and rosey and incensey and I get no iris floral from it (yay!). It stays really very true, on me at least, from imp to drydown, though I would say in the very final stages it leans more towards rose petals than anything else.

VERDICT: So, this is a toughy. I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE this scent. I would suggest people use it very sparingly because a little goes a long way. If you like frankincense and myrrh this is something for you! I tend to be reluctant to wear perfumes that might bother others, and this may be a YMMV scent ... OTOH I don't go out much so I think this is one where I'll just dab some on when I'm home alone :)

In the end, this will come as no surprise to Puddin' if he's reading this because he knows I am absolutely ADDICTED to his Frankincense and Myrrh AND Frankincense, Myrrh and Rose Petals bath oils, but I wish the Post might turn this one into a bath oil because I'd buy it by the gallon. It would be SOOOOO good in so many other forms as well ... candle? Bath bomb? Atmo? Hair gloss? I could keep going but I won't.

I wanted to try this scent entirely for the concept: this summer I went to a local production of "Julius Caesar," and I wanted an appropriate scent to wear then (I suppose I could have worn Antony.)

The rose is the most prominent note on my skin, and lasts for hours. I had hoped for a more of the myrrh and the frankincense, but eventually the myrrh does make itself known, and I get a myrrh and rose blend. After a few more hours, this dries down to a resinous skin scent, just tinged with rose. I never do smell the iris or the blood notes.

I won't need more than my decant of this, since my skin amps rose and I don't love rose. Storyboard: Julius Caesar is a pretty blend, though, and I will keep the decant so I'm prepared the next time I go to see the play. :smile:

this is heavy on the myrrh at first. i get iris and a bit of rose, and a tiny bit of frankincense. i think it's mostly myrrh and iris. this rose is slightly sour on me. i am a rose lover, but occasionally some of bpal's roses go sour/dead smelling. this one does, but luckily it's very subtle. i like this overall, except for the sourness. luckily, after about an hour on the skin there is no sourness and this is a myrrh-iris cloud. so pretty! it smells very classic to me, and the drydown just gets more and more gorgeous as the hours go by.

Edited by theseagrows

Deep yellow-brown oil.  This reminds me at first of my beloved GC Athens, due to the strong myrrh note. And then, not blood, but wine -- fruity and tart! And here's soapy iris, and rose. As it dries...no more wine, just sweet myrrh and florals. So sweet it's almost candy-like.  I like it but a decant will suffice.