Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
wendyb1063

Cemetery Creep

This summer, Brian got married at the Mountain View Mausoleum. As a side benefit, the Barrials got to spend hours skulking around its beautiful, cavernous halls in the weeks leading up to the event. Lilith loves the vast quietness of the mausoleum almost as much as she enjoys playing tag in the cemetery, and wandered the halls doing impromptu math equations to figure out how old people were when they passed.

I love this little cemetery creep with all my cobwebby heart.

Marble-white musk, orris root, and vanilla blossom.

Potent, sweet, narcotic, floral. I don't get a lot of vanilla, at least initially, nor is it overly powdery. It seems to be a close cousin of Pediophobia, although I should try them side-by-side to confirm. I like this, especially after about an hour or so.

I ordered both this and Valuable, Powerful, Deserving as my first-ever Lilith order. I've been on rather a "pale vanilla floral" kick ever since Zorya P came into my life, so when I read the notes for Cemetery Creep I thought maybe this might fill that craving nicely.

In the bottle:
Hmmm! Yep, definitely in a similar family to Zorya P. In fact, on comparison, I'm kind of surprised to come to the conclusion that Zorya P is actually a heavier scent than this. This may be because there's a lot less vanilla, and more floral to Cemetery Creep. The sweetness of it definitely still hints at the vanilla blossom being there, though. I'd also say Cemetery Creep is a teensy bit greener than Zorya P.

On me, wet:
The floral gets even stronger and I think a bit of the white musk has come forward, too.

On me, dry:
Any hint of vanilla blossom has pretty much disappeared. Disappointing (I'm a vanilla fan), but not unpleasant. I do keep going back for more sniffs, so it certainly isn't all bad! It makes my skin smell very clean without being outright soapy.

Verdict:
This scent can definitely evoke the idea of fresh flowers strewn over bone and marble as ghosts trail about, but is also gentle and floral enough to be completely inoffensive to those with less morbid sensibilities. :) I don't love this like I love Zorya P, but it's a clean and pleasant scent. For anyone who likes a pale, ethereal fragrance but found Zorya a little too foodie or overly sweet, you may find Cemetery Creep is more what you're after. Throw hovers close to the skin, but not so low that you have to mash your nose up to your wrist or anything. It's at a decent level for you to enjoy the scent without bothering anyone around you. And honestly, even if it was stronger, it likely wouldn't bother anyone. It's very much a "freshly showered skin" scent, at least on me.

I'm thinking I might gift this to a friend of mine since I think she would appreciate it more than I do, but I'm glad I got to try it. :)

Mmmmmm!!! Lovely, delicious, Beth perfume-y scent. Think the lightness of Zorya P. There's a long, strong scent of old school rubber doll head on the finish. Like baby powder and rose and plastic. Love that!

I get a ton of bourbon vanilla from this. It's a rich vanilla with tinges of orris and musk that in fact, on first whiff all smell like coconut vanilla to me. Medium throw and wear length.

Orris is so iffy on me. I have this tunnel vision issue though, when I see vanilla and musk I ignore all the other notes that are likely to not work and blind bottle it anyway. Fingers crossed orris doesn't ruin this!

Wet: OMG that's so pretty! Like, gorgeous. More floral than I expected. Light, airy but still quite sweet. The musk is clean and lovely. The orris is there for sure, but I am not hating it in this (yet).

Dry: Even though I know it, it hadn't really occurred to me that, of course, vanilla blossoms are orchids, so this would be floral and would not actually smell of vanilla. It's still gorgeous! Don't get me wrong. It's a beautiful clean, bright white musk and orchid scent. It's sweet, and just a tiny bit powdery from the orris (but not in a bad way). It's lovely. I have several orchid scents, and I don't actually find I reach for them much, so I may need to do some death matching. Glad I didn't let the orris stop me from trying this, as it's totally a non-issue in this.

In the bottle - Pale, wispy, and dry. Gorgeous.

Wet - Almost nothing. Faintly watery-fruity-grassy. Am I going crazy?

Drydown - Now it's all powdery musk. My nose thinks it's purple powder, for some reason. The scent is heavier than I expected, and I'm struggling with it.

Verdict - The orris went to powder and my skin chemistry made it too perfumey for me to wear again. Can't win 'em all, I guess.

i'm getting something pale, powdery and floral in the beginning. it almost smells like tuberose mixed with vanilla. after about 20 minutes, yes, that's it. this is like an amped up version of neutral which has a really nice tuberose. this is just stronger and sweeter to me, but very similar.

In Bottle: I'm getting that 'plastic-in-a-good-way' smell that I get from Pediophobia!

Wet: I'm getting more of a Pediophobia vibe, but way more floral. Again, not a bad thing.

Dry: Not much vanilla, but a really nice floral musk that does not go powdery at all. It's got a sharpness to it that I really like. I feel like a sexy headmistress. It's like a...powerful but older vibe. It's neither close to Zorya P or Pediophobia on me when dry...but it's definitely in the same family.

Verdict: I'm glad I bought a bottle. May not go through it fast, but for now it's in the keep pile.

I really shouldn't have gotten a decant of this one, as white musk is not my friend, but I was curious. Screeching musk, of course, very similar to body sprays of the cheap variety. I don't get any vanilla or orris, which may have saved the blend for me. I have both Pediophobia and Zorya, and don't see the similarities, apart from there may be a touch of this particular musk in them. Not for me.

Of all the scents I have or have smelled, this reminds me most of Vanilla Orchid Single Note (which I love). Apparently Vanilla Orchid is one of those notes I'm a sucker for (The Unquiet Grave is my favorite blend with it). Cemetery Creep smells like a version of single note Vanilla Orchid but more sharp and perfume-y, almost soapy-clean, and kind of cold (there is a floral-creaminess I get from Vanilla Orchid SN that's being shy here, but is faint in the background). It's kind of perfume-y in a commercial perfume/shampoo/hairspray/product-scent kinda way, but it does give a sort of somber "white marble cemetery tomb" vibe too. It's not a very unique type of scent but very pretty and easily wearable, overall. A little goes a long way on me.

Edit: I can see how people are placing this in the same broad family as Pediophobia, which has a similarness in the "white chilly stone" sort of aspect, but somewhat also Zorya P, which to me is so much more warm and creamy and ethereal and dreamy and delicious... a more distant relative in Zorya P, in my opinion.

Edited by The Forest Floor

White, powdery, pure, and floral. Very strong, not getting any vanilla. Non-offensive. Just a very nice white floral scent. Something that wouldn't be out of place bottled up on the department store perfume counter. Closing my eyes, I see a long trailing lace wedding dress when sniffing this.

A very neutral, soft scent. Not a big throw, reminds me a lot of a halloweenie which I'll edit in whenever I can remember the name. It's much less cold than that one, otherwise very much the same. A graveyard in the shade. There's a sweetness to it thanks to the vanilla. Dark, goth but with a playful tinge.

Reminds me of my grail BPAL scent, Silver Phoenix! This combo is very similar but not as light and airy as SIlver Phoenix. Its pleasant, more sweet, airy, dry, and calming.

Dry orris, softened with gentle white musk. Sometimes orris works for me. It can be so regal and sophisticated, as in Florence. But at other times, like here, it's a dry, old lady floral. Swap.