Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Shollin

Séance

A mysterious, enigmatic blend of dry, mellow rosewood, crushed rose leaf and the slightest touch of warm hazel.

This definitely smells like dirt, not necessarily the usual BPAL soil note, which is maybe from the wood and hazel. The rose leaf is very reminsicent of The Rose - in fact overall this scent is close to the BPAL green rose scents, but less prominent and warmer. I am very bummed this one is discontinued!

Imp: sigh rose Gonna try with you one more time
Wet on Me: definitely rose. not fresh rose but canned rose why does my skin hate rose so?
Drying Down: oh yeah. old lady musty canned rose
Dry: Eternal damnation of rose to the eternal optimist alas to trade

In the imp: The crushed rose leaf is the note that stands out to me the most. It really makes me think of a crushed rose petal more than a leaf, though. Sometimes, I smell a mature red rose, and other times, I get a fresh red rose like The Rose or Rose Red.

Wet: The mature red rose note is the first note to greet me, but behind that, I am getting fresh greenery.

Dry: After the leaf note calms down, this is mainly a red rose scent. The rosewood is lingering in the background, with just a bit of the warm hazel beyond that, but both of these notes are far behind the rose component.

Verdict: This isn't the kind of rose scent I prefer (as a fan of roses that are either sugared with some note or not accompanied by greenery), but I'm glad I was able to try it.

I wanted to try Seance to find out what hazel smells like. I didn't really get an answer to that, as I couldn't make it out around the roses -- what smelled to me like dried pink rose petals, and rosewood. If you like gentle rose, Seance is stunning -- it went nowhere near the sour rose territory my skin is prone to -- but it also evaporated in little more than an hour. I'm delighted I got to try it and will pass it along.

Strong, dry wood from the get-go. Dried down with more rose. Reminds me of the Little Wooden Doll but both are nuanced in different directions. I don't get pencil shavings from the wood, but it is headily mixing with the powdery rose and ends up being a bit too much. I will apply with a lighter hand. Still, it is pretty creepy and haunted house like. I'll keep the imp.

For fans of The Little Wooden Doll and Rose Cross.