Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

and the Sun has perished
out of heaven,
and an evil mist hovers over all.

Homer, the Odyssey

An evil mist hovers over all: Tunisian amber, wilted asphodel, myrrh, and smoke.

the lab's beautiful asphodel over a base of smooth myrrh. some ambery sweetness, very subtle smoke (leans frankincense and not tobacco). a feminine sibling/lover to orpheus charming animals from last year's unicorns. I love this and will be wearing it on monday for the big event.

eta this has had about five days to settle, and currently dries down to a asphodel over frankincense with myrrh/amber swirling in the background.

Edited by annemathematics

This is really beautiful. On me, the asphodel is reading as the lab's orange blossom / neroli note (and I compared this to The Sun's Treasure; yep, that's it for sure.). Perfect for representing the sun, over the smoky, slightly spicy myrrh-amber. Does not go powdery, just keeps close to the skin. This is the stand-out for me of the eclipse scents. Gorgeous. I love it. And perfect for a sun-moon conjunction.

I didn't have this in hand for the actual ecplise but it's the one I'd have chosen for the big event, too. Solar-lunar goodness.

Wet: ??? I don't know what I am smelling. It smells like damp soil. I guess that's the asphodel? It's quite pleasant. If "clean dirt" makes any sense at all, that's what I am getting, along with sweet amber. Actually, I am wondering if I am getting vetiver as well, if that's what the smoke note is. Very interesting. This does conjure up an image of the sun blotted out. It's a dark scent. I quite like it so far, it's neat. Very atmospheric.

Dry: Interesting. Sweet, smoky but somehow clean. It's different. Very light once dry. The amber is much colder in this than it usually is. Having a hard time describing it. I think it needs another test once it has settled, but right now I enjoy it but not enough to grab a bottle I don't think.

The Sun Has Perished (Great American Eclipse/LE ’17)
preconceived notions: asphodel is a total wildcard for me & white florals are not a category i do well w/, but the rest of the notes sounded gorgeous so it was worth trying a decant. it’s also TTOTM so my chemistry isn’t entirely normal right now...

wet: FLOWERS :run: OH LORDY FLOWERS… somehow i thought “wilted” would be less intense, it seems i was wrong :/ i think i can discern a hint of myrrh in the background bust mostly my nose is being assaulted by a bundle of past-their-prime white flowers.

5mins: huh, ok, the smoke is peeking out & the resins are warming up so that this gains complexity. the floral is starting to shift into something more appealing, its got similarities to plumera & even a smidge of gardenia, but there’s still something sliiiiiiiightly soapy about it.

drydown: 30mins into wear i understand the reviewer who said this was pleasant smelling damp soil! its confusing but there… deeper sniffs bring out the resins but overall this is simple & a bit too floral for me. worth trying, but not one that will be a keeper.

Bitter, acrid and aggressive. There's some smoke here as well. This blend is not for me, but it was interesting to try a different kind of amber.