Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
zankoku_zen

Black Book

As another Con season descends upon us (this year well be at Midsummer Scream, Dragon Con, and NYCC), we at the Lab offer the following extra enticement to come visit our tiny, fragrant island of tranquility in the midst of those teeming masses. All it will cost is your soul.

Just kidding, mostly! At our convention appearances and Los Angeles Lunacy events, youll find a gorgeous black tome on display, hand-crafted by McCall Company.

Sign our tenebrous guestbook with your name and email address (plus any additional love notes), and not only will you receive our occasional email newsletter youll be entered to win one free bottle of a scent thats impossible to obtain any other way.

Thats right, the following blend will never be available for sale on Black Phoenix Alchemy Labs site.

So go right ahead: take a deep breath, steel your nerve, and sign our Black Book.

Hand-tooled leather and gold leaf, yellowed pages smeared with a sliver of black ink, and dusty balsam, all bound with a dark, smoky oudh.

Black Book is like a mix of Burning Book and Two Ply Bristol. I get a nice worn leather, heavy paper and ink, and a touch of smoky oudh. It's much softer than either Burning Book or Two Ply Bristol ever were on my skin and much more wearable. It's got a medium throw, but after about two hours it has definitely become more of a skin scent on me.

Bullet dodged? ;)

In the old church, there was a back prayer room. In the corner there was a secret door to the crawl space under the stage- this scent smells like that space

Wet: opens with a heavy black inky cloud, very similar to India Ink. Boy describes it as “it feels like you’re opening the door to a place that hasn’t been opened in a very very long time”

early dry-down: the leather binding starts coming out. This is not a stiff leather, or a new leather- it’s the floppy soft binding of an old old parchment manuscript that’s been used and worn and loved.

late dry-down: on the boy it’s musty and leathery, fading nicely on the skin. On me, the ink makes a resurgence and sticks around.

Definitely in the vein of Two-Ply Bristol SN, Burning Book SN, India Ink SN

after getting a good feel for it- it’s almost the way I imagine the library of Alexandria might have smelled