Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
gloame

Irish Coffee Buttercream

Irish whiskey, granulated sugar, brown sugar, whipped cream, buttercream and coffee.

I got this yesterday from the Long Beach Midsummer Scream fest. As you might expect from the notes, this is indeed reminiscent of Miskatonic University. It's better, though. The coffee is darker and richer—a French Roast to Miskatonic University's medium roast. The cream is smooth without being little-girl-lip-balm or Bath-and-Body-Works-esque. I'm actually not a fan of Irish Whiskey, but this is lovely. I'd for sure drink it.

As it dries, I do get the dreaded play-doh note in some sniffs—just as I sometimes did with MU—but I didn't always get it and I really don't know why it sometimes goes play-doh and not others. Menstrual cycle, maybe?

I liked Miskatonic University a lot, but it never quite worked for my skin. I think this is one that works better for me and I like it more. Worth trying if MU's one of your faves!

Where I'd wear this: Last days of summer, walking through Mexico City

This actually reminds me of the exquisite Eggnog Latte. Except insanely better. This lasts FOREVER and has throw to spare. This may be the best scent ever,

Okay, that's crazy talk. But if you like rich, creamy, hardly-boozy-at-all Irish Coffee on the rocks...you will love this. It's like a sweet, thick surrealistic cloud that stays with you for hours and hours.

Smells like boozy milk with a bit of toffee in the background that really makes it hang around. I don't get a lot of coffee anywhere on my skin. It smells far sharper (kind of like what you get when you smell straight alcohol) wet and gets sweeter on the skin. It doesn't morph too much beyond what you get from the initial application.

I don't find the staying power to be greater than any other scents (applied at 11am and gone by 4pm) . It could be I've gotten used to the smell by then but it doesn't have much throw and I don't think others smell it on me unless I hold my wrist up to them. I like it but I don't think I would be running for a second bottle.

I was excited & hopeful after reviews. Miskatonic u has a buttery undertone. I love the whiskey note from whiskey truffle. I live In the desert so scents burn off faster & I'll need to rereview because this is a few hours out of the heat.

Straight out of the box, in the bottle, it was whiskey scented. After a few hours to cool, the bottle smells like misk u. Why is the rum, er, whiskey gone? It smells like the same coffee note with a buttery edge. It has a dark powder edge. It has average throw (personal space not a cloud) and staying power (< 4 hrs, after 2 have to huff wrist.). I feel like it has less throw than mu which is good because mu could be Cloying. This is sweeter than mu. I don't get any whiskey. :(

I'll probably wait a few days and revisit the review. For now, its sweeter mu with a slight dark powdery edge.

______________________________________________________________________________________

it's had two days to settle. Still strong MU buttery coffee note with a slight cinnamon stick/spicy wood powdery edge. After about an hour and a half, dries to a Sweet sugar scent with a drop of coffee. Have to huff wrist. Still no whiskey boozy note. Seems like the more days go by the more it mellows and quicker it dries down to sweetness instead of coffee. I'll probably review again Friday.

Edited by BuxomM

In the bottle: COFFEE, booze, sugary cream. What it says on the tin.

Wet: less coffee, more cream, wheat whiskey notes.

Dry: I am hungry now. Salty butter and whiskey with most of the booze evaporated, coffee brewing in the next room and something that smells like trees? It's a foody, cafe and bakery smell. I don't know where they serve both pastries and booze, but I want to go there.

Irish Coffee Buttercream smells exactly as I expected it to, which is wonderful. I like Miskatonic U, so I expected this scent to work well for me. It is creamier, more buttery than Misk U. The whiskey is most evident in the bottle and wet and recedes on drydown, which is fine, it makes it more socially acceptable. But really, this is not a go out and party scent. Maybe a go out for breakfast with friends scent, but I really see this as a curl up with a good book on a crappy Seattle November day kind of scent. This is comfort food in a little amber bottle, with no calories. I am going to be cozying up to this little gem all winter long.

I want to drink this out of the bottle. It is absolutely delicious smelling. The is a nice base of sugared cream, thick and rich but not too sweet smelling. There is a nice edge of whiskey and hefty dose of coffee that keeps everything in check. It is absolutely wonderful, with decent but not over-powering throw.

If you’re not a fan of sugar or don’t like sweet foodie smells, then do yourself a favor and run from this. Personally, I find it heavenly. It’s reminiscent of walking into a little cafe, finding a chair in a sunny window, and ordering the most decadent drink on the menu.

In the bottle it’s buttery, warm, and the hints of irish cream are strong. There are touches of vanilla in there that make the whole bottle smell like fresh baked butterscotch cookies.

Wet on my skin, the Irish cream notes really brighten up, underlaid by a lovely buttery scent. It’s the kind of whiff caught on the air as you walk past a summer cafe or little bakery. It’s sweet without being cloying.

Once dry, the scent of coffee becomes more apparent, layered in whipped cream with a dash of irish cream still settling nicely underneath. Usually once I put a scent on, one or two notes will rule the day and edge out everything else (I’m looking at you, Miskatonic….) which isn’t a bad thing in itself but it requires me to know in advance how the scent will sit on my skin. With this, however, none of the notes go away entirely. It keeps that full bodied warmth, the notes of butterscotch, whipped cream (a soft vanilla), irish cream, and coffee.

It’s become one of my favorites already and I’ll be guarding my bottle closely. I genuinely hope this amazing scent gets to stick around so I can keep ordering it!

In the decant, I get a blast of buttery booze... that's about it for now.

On my wrist, the scent settles down real fast and I get the whiskey but not much else...if I sniff real close I might get the coffee and some brown sugar, but on me, this is close to the skin and low throw. But it's still yummy.

Smells pretty much identical to Miskatonic University on me. Sweet, creamy, sugary coffee, with the whiskey adding that undertone of a spike of warm booze and polished woodiness. Starts off strong, but fades to a skin scent on me within ten minutes or so. Coffee with a lot of sugar and creamer, and a hint of booze and wood.

Sweet, cream, sugary butter cream and coffee. There's a whiff of booze to this. This is sort of what I wanted Misk U to be minus the wood and wood polish. Sadly, its almost too sweet on my skin. Medium throw and wear length.

So I the day I got this in the mail I ripped open the box and went strait to this little guy. It was for a good cause and I'm a huge foody smell lover so I had to blind buy a bottle....I nearly gagged. It was awful on first sniff and smelled plastic and nothing like the notes listed.

Luckily I know better than to judge bpal oils solely on first sniff when travel shock hasn't had time to wear off. Do not do what I did. PLEASE GIVE IT A CHANCE TO REST! I let it sit for a week and it's perfectly lovely coffee, sugary, creamy goodness. I just know it's going to get better with age. I don't always wear coffe scents bc Florida can get stupid hot and these smells get get nauseating in the heat but when I want to wear one I have this little guy.

P.S. Beth and Ted are so amazing to support and be so vocal about these causes. Just one reason I'm happy to spend my money on their products.

In the decant: Sweet coffee and buttercream! It has been a while since I smelled Misk U, but it makes me think of that, only not as intense, and without the dust note.

Wet: Sweet, creamy coffee, warmed by the brown sugar. It's not overly boozy or sweet.

Dry: The buttercream note seems to be getting stronger over time, making the scent creamier and sweeter.

Verdict: Some coffee scents are too strong for me, but this one isn't one of them! This would be a nice, cozy scent to wear on a cold day. I may end up getting a bottle of this before it goes away.

In the bottle: well hello there, this smells just like Irish cream liqueur! For a moment I thought I'd opened a nip bottle of Bailey's instead of BPAL.

Wet: Coffee that's been spiked with a bit too much Irish cream, a mistake I've made more than once. This scent, it knows me. I would have preferred more coffee but this isn't the first time my skin's eaten up a coffee note.

Dry: The coffee's fully gone now, leaving the whiskey and buttercream. I'm not really a fan of whiskey, but the buttercream tempers it to be tolerable.

Reasonable throw, but dies down fairly quickly on me to a lingering skin scent. Still, I'm more than happy to reapply because it's sooo delicious when I do!

Wet: this is straight up Irish Cream. Sweet and slightly boozy.

Drydown: The coffee comes out a bit, but it doesn't smack you in the face. It smells more like a nice, creamy coffee candle. I feel the the sweetness and boozyness from the Irish Cream slowly leaves, leaving behind a lovely smelling cup of coffee.

Bottle : Like rich Irish coffee buttercream!
On: Immediately getting buttery notes. Can smell it from a distance so seems to have a good throw. Cream? Something floury / powdery almost. Fades quickly on me and I'm not getting much coffee or whiskey at this point. 
30 mins: Coffee and whiskey has faded and is faint on my skin chemistry. I would have liked more. Has a very light touch of milky coffee but only if I sit smelling it. 
1 hour:  vanilla cream only. I wish I had more coffee, but it's still a nice foody scent. 

Edited by follis
Typo

Out of the bottle I get the syrupy sweetness that I was hoping for. On my skin, the buttercream is smooth. As it dries, I'm reminded of... is that what I think it is?? I get my partner to sniff as well, and uninfluenced they confirm: PUMPKIN SPICE BOOZE. It must be the combination of earthy spices and spirits.

It's not as coffee-like or cream-like (or butter-like?) as I was hoping for (I was actually hoping to gift this, and probably still will, but to someone different...) 🤔

After about 20 minutes I'm getting a little more coffee out of this. My partner says it smells like dirt. Sigh.

Maybe I should have gone with the Spiced Rum Buttercream! Maybe I'll still end up getting it as well. 😈

Edited by skyturtles

In the bottle and wet, quite boozy! But within five minutes, my skin amps up the sweetness and makes this a rich buttercream coffee dashed with a splash of Irish coffee. This would be perfectly safe to wear at the office, although I don't think I actually would unless I wanted to bring the yummy cozy vibes to work. Otherwise, this is so the kind of thing to wear on cold Sunday mornings, the scent equivalent of coffee and a blanket.

Surprisingly, this does not go TOO syrupy on me. (My skin tends to run away with syrup notes.) Not too spicy either. A middle ground of sweet, creamy, lightly spicy, lightly coffee-bitter blend. The whisper of booze hangs around. (Which smells better than it sounds.) Keeps this out of a purely desserty category and gives it a wink of adult naughtiness. I also enjoy the whipped buttercream staying thick and luscious without descending into dairy hell on my skin. It's buttery, it's creamy, it's sugary, but it's not milk-sour. Best of both worlds.

I tested this directly against Miskatonic University too! The U is MUCH boozier for me. Less coffee, more alcohol, and a dash of that incense that suggests the bookish library. By comparison, Irish Coffee Buttercream stays in a cafe, the scent of freshly brewed coffee and tempting baked goods, where they don't officially sell alcohol but they won't stop you if you splash a sip of your flask into your cup of coffee. I think the two scents serve different purposes while still being cousins. They both are worth having!

I would wear this while: hunkering inside on a cold Sunday morning with a new book.