Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Sudanese myrrh, papyrus, champaca flower, black lotus, amber, and honeyed leather.

Spicy-hot myrrh, like, myrrh as the hot blast of air from the desert that smells the sweetest of all, according to the locals. This blend reminds me of a book I read about the Empty Quarter of Saudi Arabia, and a fascination with such an environment of extremes and challenges to live in, and people who do. A little cinnamon edge to a blast of hot myrrh that's also champaca-spiked, golden with amber.

I didn't remember the notes for this when testing it, except the myrrh. I loved the hot champaca-myrrh opening. But then after drydown, I realized it smelled like the papyrus from Mr Ibis wrapped with leather. I didn't think they were in it, and thought I must be having a skin chemistry weirdness that would be funny in the morning.

But hey, they're there! I wasn't making it up. I remember I had hesitated on Seth because the Ibis papyrus wasn't very good on me. I found him a new funeral parlor where he is more loved. But this myrrh is really the desert, and the champaca a tiger. The lotus is sweet and well blended in. Love this.

Honey, leather, amber and a touch of white florals. This smells exotic, leathery, and sunny. Good throw and wear length.

ETA: I have to amend this because I tried it out again and I am seriously amping up the champaca flower so its alot more floral. It ends up being a gender neutral clean amber-leather blend with a big dose of flowers. Sort of like a fougere cologne.

Edited by zankoku_zen

In the Vial:

Myrrh and champaca

On the Skin:

Dry myrrh, amber, soft brown leather with a sweetness. The champaca emerges softly (it can stomp all over a blend for me). The overall feeling is of soft golden and spiced leather. Very gentle and lovely

On the Drydown:

This is a very dry blend, thanks to the myrrh and papyrus, I assume. Any honey adds to the golden hues but doesn't detract from the dryness. It's more a fragrant desert wind (what I wanted The Ifrit to be like). Very, very nice and bottle worthy

First on, this reminds me of Chrysanthemum Moon's dry, golden floral with swirls of clean, slightly soapy opium (is that the champaca giving off that impression). I also smell an herbal and slightly bitter honey note.

Dries down to a pretty spectacular golden scent that's like dried, spicy, golden flowers in a temple room full of smoky incense haze and golden flower and honey offerings.

Spicy, dried, golden flower petals dipped in honey in a room full of incense smoke.

After about a half hour, the honey and sweet myrrh reminds me of beeswax and the whole thing reminds me of The Lights of Men's Lives blend, but with a spicy, dry floral added in.

Really good, and a great scent for fall.

Wet: Hmm! Different! Not what I was expecting! There's a dry floral or almost hay-like note in there! It's kind of autumnal. I really dig it. The honey is lovely. I think it's maybe the champaca flower mixed with the papyrus that's giving this cool dried floral vibe. It's so different from anything I have/have smelled.

Dry: Wow, leather lovers take note, this dries down to a GORGEOUS honeyed leather scent. Soft, worn leather. Hints of sweetness and incense. Really nice. Completely gender neutral, to me. Not sure if I would wear it enough to get a bottle, but man is it a great scent. I keep catching whiffs and inhaling deeply and smiling. These CD scents, both new and old are KILLING my wallet!

Oh Seth. How delighted I am I decided on a bottle of this handsome scaly dude! :wub3:

There's leather that BPAL does best, which is sexy as hell but there's also something oddly nostalgic in here, something reminding me of summer.

Warm, spicy, something sliiightly herbal in there, which is a little sunscreen-y but nothing to worry about. This would work fantastisc for both fall and summer. All the notes are blended perfectly and there's not one that really stands out on me. I'm in love.

When I saw the scent description and the label art for Seth, I knew I had to get a bottle of it ASAP!

Wet on skin: Lots of myrrh and amber! It reminds me of Diamond Star, however there is no ambergris in this blend.

Dry: I start to smell the lotus and champaca flower. The florals start to mellow out the myrrh and amber. It doesn't go powdery. It is a soft dry floral incense. I get no leather at all, which is surprising because I usually amp leather in blends. No honey either. Maybe that papyrus is mixing with the dry florals? This is starting to remind me of Diamond's Gong now rather than Diamond Star.

I will have to try this on my partner's skin because he loves leather blends.

Edited by VioletVorpal

Soft, pretty florals -- lotus and champaca -- with dry, paper parchment. A sweet, dry, powdery scent. I think the lotus is a little too candy-sweet, as it can be with my chemistry, for me to wear this regularly. But it's very nice and I'd wear it on occasion.

Bought a bottle of this a while back.  Finally getting around to a review!  :)

When first applied, I get a light, slightly soapy champaca, mixed with undefinable floral.  It's perfumey, but not heavy.  After it's been on a while, it grows stronger, but also smoother, as if the notes are blossoming into one another.  The lotus is sweet, but dark and creamy rather than bubble-gummy.  The leather and amber just give this a warm base.  I don't know what papyrus smells like, so I don't know if I'm getting that, but there is something a bit dry and smooth over the top.   Obviously, I'm a fan of this blend.  It's smooth and sweet, floral, yet not cloying, incensey, yet not heavy, and it last for more than six hours on me.  A beautiful spin on champaca.  😻

I got hold of a partial bottle last year, tested it several times, but couldn't make up my mind if i like it or not; so i let it rest for half a year and now decided to give it another try.

Seth has a perfumey and soapy (as in clean) vibe that lingers for the first hour. Later in develops into a floral clean musk (even though no musk is listed) and with soft short-lived soapy shrieks from time to time. I can't tell if it's the lotus or champaca flower standing out the most, but it's all wrapped up in the myrrh/papyrus embrace, giving off a clean and a tiny tiny tad powdery feel. 

This one gave me quite a fright. Fresh out of the bottle I could smell almost nothing, but thankfully once this warms on the skin it fully activates. Not the strongest perfume ever, but a nice mix of notes.

In Bottle: The faintest whisper of lotus and champaca, but otherwise I can't detect anything.

On Skin: Thank goodness! We have fragrance! The myrrh and lotus are leading the show and the papyrus note is very detectable, giving this scent an almost dusty herbal vibe. This is a very dry scent. And sadly, I cannot detect the leather at all! Bummer, as I am a huge fan of leather scents. Maybe it will show itself with age. 

Dry Down: Linear scent that softens gradually.

Wear Time: 5-6hrs

Throw: Light-Medium (6-8in)

Seth is my favorite masculine scent from BPAL so far. It makes my eyes roll back in my head when I smell it! I can't describe it other than it blends beautifully - the honeyed leather myrrh and champaca flower come out most for me with the papyrus making it a little bit crisp.