Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Spun sugar, frankincense, white rose, mallow root, red currant, and vanilla mint.

Alisz goes on me mostly as a sugary, chewy vanilla mint with a little poofy marshmallow, and a hint of red fruitiness I couldn't name before re-checking the notes. When I hunt around for it, I get a pale, subtle rose and faint frankie texture, but she is mainly a confectionary vanilla mint for me, chewy like a taffy.

She doesn't change much on me as she dries, and lasts under two hours (for me, a bit under average). I like her, so even though the balance isn't what I was after, I'll enjoy the bottle.

ETA: Wearing this again today, I wanted to add that when this bottle was new, it smelled mostly of sugary vanilla mint. After a few months, I tried her again and was getting more of the red currant, spun sugar, and mallow in the blend. Alisz has come into her own and, knowing that, I'm likely to nab a second bottle at some point.

Edited by Casablanca

The mint is very prominent, I don’t get much more than a very sweet creamy mint. Almost a christmasy feel to me. This seems to fade pretty quickly into a faint vanilla mint very close to the skin.

Alisz to me is a very close 'pink' sibling to DeVos Unicorn. It opens with vanilla mint, but immediately in comes the rose mallow combo I fell in love with from DeVos. The red currant also becomes evident as a sweet red fruit in the undercarriage of the scent. I don't get frankincense yet, but I'm assuming that'll deepen a bit as it ages. Lasted 6 hours or so on me fresh out of the mailbox.

In the bottle: light mint and sugar with a touch of candy cane.

First hour: It is very similar to De Vos Unicorn, but with a touch of mint. Alisz is light sugar, mint, and rose. I smell a tiny bit of smokiness, maybe the frankincense.

A couple of hours later: The mint has disappeared and now it’s a light pink floral sugar, very similar to Pink Moon ’17.

EDIT: This scent lasted all day on me. I applied it to my wrists in the morning, and in the evening before bed, I could still smell it .

This is a very beautiful, light, pink scent, and a keeper.

Edited by Janel

I got touches of pink floral sugar. It's mainly light sugar and rose, with a touch of both frankincense and mint on wet. It dries down to a rose marshmallow. Medium throw and wear length.

I'm a little obsessed with Pink Sugar, and always looking for a more "grownup" version, so that's my hope for Alisz. Wet, I get vanilla mint, a bit like the holiday "Lick It" scents. It's clean, sweet, and refreshing, but it's drowning out any rose or spun sugar that might be in there. Dry, the mint is still prominent, with a hint of currant underneath. Darn. I wasn't really looking for another candy cane scent, but that's what I've got here. I'll tuck Alisz away for holiday wear.

In the imp it's all sweet vanilla mint, loud and clear, with the slightest undertone of rose if I seriously look for it. It's the kind of mint that you can feel in the back of your throat. Once it's on me, the vanilla mint is the prominent note, but after about ten minutes I started getting the sour tang that frankincense likes to do when mixed with rose. I've had it on for about an hour now, and I'm hopeful that it will tone down somewhat because without the sour note it's really quite lovely.

In the bottle: Sweet vanilla mint, and a little marshmallow fluffiness.

Wet: Minty vanilla and a streak of red currant. Juicy but not too sweet. The mint is pretty subdued, so while it is similar to the Lick Its it is not nearly as minty (for me at least).

Dry: The spun sugar, mallow, rose, and vanilla mint all come swirling together. It's a dreamy, creamy confection wonderland without being foody or extremely sweet. I still get just a touch of red currant and I think I detect a little frankincense underneath.This is an instant favorite for me.

Mint must amp up on me, because all I'm getting is the vanilla mint, and that's mostly peppermint with a hint of vanilla. Smells like the Lick It series of fragrances. I get nothing of the other notes :(

In the Vial:

Rosy mint and sugar

On the Skin:

Strong vanilla mint with a slight cakey undercurrent. Teh rose is subtly there. I think it's the frankincense that is giving the sense of cake under the sweetness.

On the Drydown:

The mint amps up and down but stays fairly present for quite a while. The undercurrent of frank, rose and red currant is a little unsettling but I actually quite like it

Vanilla mint all the way. Totally smells like the sweet mint gum. It's not bad, but it's not my thing.

In the bottle - kind of a chocolate-floofy-creamy mint, mmm...like those little melt-in-your-mouth mints you get at a fancy event with a touch of marshmallow.

Wet on skin - creamy sweet mint with a light floral edge and sharp sugar, huh...not what I expected. Where's the rose?!

Dry - oh this is nice, the white rose and frank comes out sharply but complimentary and mingles with the vanilla mint. Not sure I got any red currant, but it's very pretty and lightly floral.

This smells great! I put it on at 10 p.m. to test and it was going strong when I woke up the next a.m. I think she's a winner!

Wet: Chilly vanilla mint! Immediately I start humming, "don't ya put it in your mouth..." because I have the overwhelming urge to lick my arm. I love this scent, though I have never been entirely sure that I want to smell like mint. I have and love both Envy and Anesthesia, but they are "summer bedtime scents" or sometimes in the case of Envy, a comfort scent, not something really worn as perfume. I am hoping the other notes amp up and the mint wear off a bit to make this into a truly wearable perfume for me.

Dry: Well, the mint does fade out, but sadly this turns to roses with some sort of artificial/plastic creamy vanilla going on. It's almost lovely, but there's just that hints of Band-Aid throwing it off. :(

I'll try it again another day, and hope it either needs to settle more, or this was a bad skin day.

Oh my god. This is absolutely delicious when wet. Deliiicious realistic vanilla mint, something grounding it that reminds me of cocoa, delicious spun sugar, the frankincense as in Midnight over the midway and a soft rose. I'm afraid however that at the moment of drydown I'm stuck with the same problem as Lizziesluck. My skin isn't having it. There's still that wonderful mint but my skin is just turning the rest of the notes into burnt plastic and it's just... not good. A damn shame, hope this'll adorn someone else's skin much better because it'd be so worth it!! Gahh :frustrated:

Wet: Sugary vanilla mint and definite bright rose. A minty, sweet floral. Smells a little like the toothpaste they use at the dentist's office.

Dry: Strangely bubblegum like as it dries. Weird!

Edited by Whisperstilled

This one could very well belong to the Lick It series, but only when wet. Dry, it has this odd dusty fruit note, like last years candy cane and dried fruit found in the bottom of a Christmas box. Dodged a bullet here!

I absolutely adore Alisz! When I first got it I put it on straight away and it just smelled of mint, vanilla and biscuits, and then disappeared as soon as it dried down. Now I've had it for a few weeks, it has become much more complex and lasts for a good 6 hours.

Wet I get a very sweet mint and vanilla with a slight biscuity/ chocolatey tone to it. Makes me think of a thin mint, mint pattie or similar. As it dries down the mint softens and I start to smell the currants and roses. The rose is soft, subtle and not soapy at all.

Dry, on my skin Alisz smells of mint, vanilla, and a hint of rose. Very pretty, the tart currants keep it complex and stop it from smelling too sweet and childish. The frankincense doesn't stand out, but does add this sort of grainy texture to the scent which I enjoy.

This is up there with Mouse's Long and Sad Tale as one of my favourite BPAL scents now, I wear it almost every day at the moment and I love it!

Edited by h_yeti

Vanilla mint, very similar to the rare Snowblind. Faint hints of rose, marshmallow, and fruity red currant make it a little more vibrant and complex. It's not a particularly strong scent on my skin, and not something I'd wear to work as it's quite foody. It sure is pretty though.

Minty marshmellows with frankinscense swirling in the background. I love this! It's unexpected and fun and every once in a while one of the other notes peeks in to say hello. Good lonegrvity and sillage. Fades to a sugary musk.

Wet: Minty frankincense; very strong on the mint!

Dry: The mint has finally chilled out. This smells like a mint-flavored marshmallow, with just a liiiittle frankincense in the background to add some depth.

It's surprisingly nice! I think my decant will be enough, though. ;)

Wet - MIIIINT. The vanilla and sugar/mallow root make it a soft, buttery/creamy mint, like those pastel-colored buttermints they used to serve at the end of the meal in restaurants, but I'm really sensitive to the taste/smell of mint (to the point that most toothpaste feels like it's burning the inside of my mouth) so it's still too much mint for me. Like a pastel-colored buttermint that's punching you in the face.

Five minutes in - Minty mint mint mint. It's a soft, sweet, complex mint, with hints of other notes underneath it, but mostly all I can make out is mint.

Ten minutes in - by ten minutes in the initial blast of nose-searing mint has calmed down slightly, and I can make out a haze of pale rose and what feels like white musk but is probably the spun sugar surrounding/accompanying the mint. The pastel buttermints are now being served on a white-linen-covered tray with a vase full of pink and white roses. That, or Alisz is sucking on a buttermint after spraying herself with rosewater. Close to my skin it's more minty, but the throw has a hint of frankincense now.

Thirty minutes in - The mint has softened down a great deal as the frankincense has come forward, turning Alisz into a cool, wispy candied rose. I actually really like it now, but I'd like it better if it had just skipped the inclusion of mint entirely.

1-2 Hours in - Alisz has morphed from nose-searing mint to a lovely, cool, soft, hazy vanilla-rose where the frankincense and mint blend seamlessly in. I can't even detect the mint anymore, it's just making the rest of the blend smell light and cool. Is this how scents like Snow White smell to people who aren't super-oversensitive to menthol?

In the bottle: When this first arrived, it was strong on the vanilla mint. Almost a week later, I get the spun sugar, mallow, a little rose and tart currant, and Lick It-esque vanilla mint, but not the frankincense. Sometimes I get more vanilla mint or currant with each additional sniff.

Wet: I get the creamy vanilla mint, mallow, and spun sugar at first, which is quickly joined by the currant and a little rose. As it sits on my skin, the currant becomes more prominent, so that it’s a slightly tart, fruity vanilla mint. When I tried this at Drag Con, I only got the creamy vanilla mint from it, so I was hoping the currant wouldn’t end up playing a big role on me, but it definitely does during the wet phase of the scent. The mallow is the next note in prominence after the vanilla mint and currant.

Dry: Fortunately, the currant note has calmed down significantly. The vanilla mint is now the strongest aspect of the scent on me, followed by the tart currant, and some sugared rose. The mint part of the vanilla mint isn’t as intense as it is in Lick It, but this part of the scent, combined with the sugared rose and mallow root, make me think of a Lick It/De Vos’ Unicorn hybrid, with some currant thrown into the mix.

After a few hours, it’s just really creamy, sugary mallow, vanilla, rose, and currant scent. I only get the frankincense if I really search for it, but it’s rather light on me. It smells delightful during this stage, since it is when I get the least amount of currant. :D I can barely smell any of the mint on my hand, but it's still very present in the crook of my elbow.

Verdict: I had high hopes for this one, but the currant was stronger on me than I would have liked. I wonder if I amp it? I am going to let it age some, retest it, and see how it goes. I like it, especially once dry, but even then I wish got less of the currant. My guess is that it just needs a little more time to settle and that the bottle will be a keeper.

Edited by dementia_divine

The vanilla mint stomps over every other note here. Once the mint goes away, it turns into a soft fluffy cloud of sweetness, pulling in together the remaining notes, minus the red currant.

I get a lovely vanilla mint with hints of spun sugar and the white rose. I can smell the red currant when first applied but it seems to fade quite quickly and I don't seem to be able to pick out the frankincense. It's a pretty scent with a twist. I'm loving vanilla mint scents at the moment and finding them quite calming so I think I will wear this one often. 

Overwhelmingly vanilla mint, with a little bit of the mallow. I'm getting a slight hint of fruitiness, but I'm unsure if it's the red currant or something lemony from the frankincense.

It's very nice, but as this is a new bottle I'm hoping aging will give it a bit of depth.