Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
helarctos

Traveling with BPAL

I carried roughly a shedload of Imps last time I travelled, so Heathrow and Toronto are cool with them. I had about 40 in my handbag, just all loose in the change compartment.

None leaked, but a rollerball I had with me got a bit 'strong' smelling.

i've haven't had trouble with domestic or international travel. i carry my imps in an altoids gum tin - perfect! not as perfect for a 5ml bottle, but i do the same with those, and cinch it with a rubber band.

I advise -not- carrying them in a gun like a picture posted to the forums shows :P

I believe that was Erewhesle.... LMAO That picture cracked me up.

I wouldn't think it'd be a good idea to carry them in Ammo cases, or would it be okay?

I fly internationally between Frankfurt Germany and London, and I carry them in my purse because I don't want them smashed. Recently, they checked my violin case (made me open it) and asked what the imps were, but a simple "perfume" went over fine. And those airports are notoriously safe. (You have to go through two total body searches prior to boarding.)

They always search my purse because I always have something iffy in there, what set them off this time was my metal cello tuning fork. :P

Edited by Fallenangel743

Well I work for TSA Dept. of homeland security. Even if your imps arent labeled, even if you just happen to have an imp of "embaulming fluid" with you... we dont really care. What we look for is weapons, bombs, torch lighters & tools... (& any sharp objects: scissors ect.) We arent even allowed to open any liquid containers. So be assure that you can travel with all the impies and bottles you want!! :D I know we are annoying, but we just follow what we have to do to ensure some sort of safety in our minds anyways... I wish we didnt have to do some of the things we are told to do. Well I love all of you!

XOXO, Loren :P

Well I work for TSA Dept. of homeland security.  Even if your imps arent labeled, even if you just happen to have an imp of "embaulming fluid" with you... we dont really care.  What we look for is weapons, bombs, torch lighters & tools... (& any sharp objects: scissors ect.)  We arent even allowed to open any liquid containers.  So be assure that you can travel with all the impies and bottles you want!!  :D  I know we are annoying, but we just follow what we have to do to ensure some sort of safety in our minds anyways... I wish we didnt have to do some of the things we are told to do.  Well I love all of you! 

XOXO, Loren  :P

I think I watch too many X Files or something since I'd be worried I'd be accused of carrying biological weapons. :D~

I also had some imps in a film container

Genius. Pure genius. So is the Altoids gum box ... must remind self to buy one this week ... I have a 16-day road trip coming up in two weeks and want to bring a variety of smells so I always have one to match my mood.

I travel with one bag for my clothes and one for my books, files and all of my bath/cosmetic stuff ... usually by the end of the trip, the second bag is pretty much emptied out and lighter because I try to bring all travel-sized vials and bottles that I can toss when they're empty (and I always jettison the books and magazines). In the past I've been putting my imps in small snack-sized baggies but I like this idea MUCH better ... I already bought about five or six small lotion bottles to pick a few favorite scents and pre-mix BPAL Aveeno bottles.

I know that the security at Portland, Vancouver and Toronto airports don't have a problem with imps. Some were carried in my purse in a film canister, the others were in one of the boxes that the Lab uses for shipping in my carry-on luggage.

Another option for carrying several bottles in your purse or carry-on is a plastic travel soap case/dish. I recently sold 3 bottles to another forumite and was brainstorming for a little more protective way to ship them in a bubble mailer. I realized I had an extra 99 cent soap dish for travel, and put them in there. A few gift impies and a little bubble wrap filled it up so there would be no shifting or clinking together, then I put the whole thing inside the mailer - if you are traveling you could just use cotton balls or Kleenex to fill in any empty spots and add a little cushioning.

Or, if you want to feel like you have a professionally made piece of luggage for your preciousss:

Padded travel case for bottles

That padded jobby is awsome. Me thinks I'll have to have one of those when I head off to Nova Scotia this autum.

I've got one of those padded essential oil bottle carriers and it is BRILLIANT! It fits 5 and 10 ml bottles and the little bottle holes will nestle 4 or 5 imps together beautifully. I fill it up with all the preciousss I want while I'm away and I put it at the bottom of my carry on bag. It's never been given a second glance at airports.

Goint to the Isle of Malta for a month. Here is who I am taking with me:

Perversion

Florence

Tamora

Veil

Sea of Glass

Ultraviolet (2)

Bluebeard

Danse Macabre

Cathode

Anubis

Velvet

Wanda

I hope I can make it for a whole month without a 5ml. I am considering taking a 5ml of Velvet and Perversion. Ahhh, such madness.

I'm so glad I found this thread because I'm flying on Thurs and I was getting all paranoid about being interrogated about the contents of my imps. I think I'm going to put them in my big bag in my makeup kit. I can only pray that no one decides to inspect them in my absence!

In contrast, I have had a lot of trouble with a metal barrette that I used to carry in an interior pocket of my bag as well as pixie stick leakage that was always suspected to be drugs.

For some reason I found this hysterical, maybe because I should have been in bed 3 hours ago.. but the thought of you with your barrette and Pixy Sticks being suspect is just too funny! :P :D

I think I watch too many X Files or something since I'd be worried I'd be accused of carrying biological weapons.

Dude. Me too. Also makes me think of 12 Monkeys.

Here's a question for ya'll:

I'm flying from Chicago to Hartford in a couple of weeks for my brother's wedding. I've recently gotten my soon to be SIL hooked on BPAL, and I want to gift her with a few impies to play with on their honeymoon.

Will BPAL make it through security ok? Or will they think I'm smuggling vials of drugs? We're only carrying on our bag, and aside from gifties...how can I last the weekend without precious bpal?

Here's a question for ya'll:

I'm flying from Chicago to Hartford in a couple of weeks for my brother's wedding. I've recently gotten my soon to be SIL hooked on BPAL, and I want to gift her with a few impies to play with on their honeymoon.

Will BPAL make it through security ok? Or will they think I'm smuggling vials of drugs?  We're only carrying on our bag, and aside from gifties...how can I last the weekend without precious bpal?

You should be OK. Put them in your cosmetics bag?

Someone was saying they got BPAL through Spain's and England's customs OK, or was it France and England. At any rate it shouldn't be a problem.

Anyone else with a more emphatic answer? I just realized I lack the courage of my conviction on the subject since I haven't flown anywhere since before 9/11 but for totally unrelated reasons.

I don´t think you need to worry, turbojenn, I´ve travelled with loads of BPAL before and never had any problems. I´ve also read about this in another thread a while back, and the general opinion was that you can bring it with you :P

I bring mine in a carryon. They don't get any more shaken up than they would in the mail. Often less so. I've never had leakage!

I've made it through airport security with a metric shit-ton of BPAL. :P I let them open up and sniff the bottles when one person didn't believe it was perfume, and they sifted through the imps and sniffed, as well.

When I travel with my BPAL, I take a big Ziploc bag. I seperate my bottles into their own smaller Ziploc baggies and tape them up with a bunch of bubblewrap, and imps get their own baggie, with even more bubblewrap. Then I slip all of that into my purse so it gets hand-inspected if it's going to be looked at. :D

When I travel with my imps, I keep them in an empty prescription bottle in my carry-on. Never had a leakage problem. Others have recommended film cannisters. :D

Here is the existing travels with imps thread Hope that helps! :P

I just thought of this as I was driving around today, and figured this would be the best place to ask--and also didn't think it would merit a whole new topic.

Has anyone had trouble traveling internationally with their oils? Is it okay to put them in a carryon? If no, what's the best way to pack them in a suitcase? (<-- See, this is the part that makes it relevant.)

I can't go for two weeks smelling like nothing in particular! :P

Edited by Duck Mountain

I just thought of this as I was driving around today, and figured this would be the best place to ask--and also didn't think it would merit a whole new topic.

Has anyone had trouble traveling internationally with their oils? Is it okay to put them in a carryon? If no, what's the best way to pack them in a suitcase? (<-- See, this is the part that makes it relevant.)

I can't go for two weeks smelling like nothing in particular! :P

i believe they discuss that here

http://www.bpal.org/index.php?s=&showtopic...ndpost&p=131674

:D