Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
helarctos

Traveling with BPAL

Not sure if anyone can help me but........ I am a flight attendant. I fly international. I actually get 3-4 hours of rest in bunks in the ceiling of the plane. I was wanting to bring a 5ml bottle with me to use for relaxation during this time. So..... no plumbers tape. It would be a bottle that I actually opened and closed during the flight. I would keep it in a baggie in case it leaked but I really don't want to deal with my work luggage, manuals, electronics getting covered in a scent. So leaking into the baggie is a worst case situation.

Any frequent travelers travel with just one 5ml bottle in the main cabin and maybe occasionally in cargo and been able to use them without leaking. I want to have a 5ml bottle with me for use and enjoy not just sealed up for transport.

Thanks.

Hi Ceetee, I fly quite often for work, both internationally and domestically, and bring BPAL bottles with me all the time in my carry-on. I've also taken them with me in checked luggage. I've never had any problems, but may have just been lucky. To travel with them, I just tighten the cap as much as I can without risking cracking it, then drop it in a sealed plastic bag. I've never applied mid-flight, but imagine that would be fine as long as there's no turbulence. ;)

Hi Ceetee, I fly quite often for work, both internationally and domestically, and bring BPAL bottles with me all the time in my carry-on. I've also taken them with me in checked luggage. I've never had any problems, but may have just been lucky. To travel with them, I just tighten the cap as much as I can without risking cracking it, then drop it in a sealed plastic bag. I've never applied mid-flight, but imagine that would be fine as long as there's no turbulence. ;)

Good to know. :) I'm thinking the first few times I will wrap it in a paper towel in a Baggie in a second Baggie type of thing. I really would ❤️ to make the stressful plane/work environment more relaxing.

Hello all...esp Canadian BPALers or travelers... :biggrin:

Need help and advice. I have a smallish collection of BPAL bottles. Like 30 or so. They're all in a cigar box. Me and my hubby are moving from Alaska to the lower 48 and driving through Canada.

My question is will my BPAL collection have trouble going through the border/customs into Canada and then leaving Canada and going back into the USA????

I don't really want the movers to take them so I need advice and the laws... :blush2:

Thanks in advance... :wink:

This is just a guess, but I am sure you will be fine. Especially if you are driving. I think crossing the border into the states, they just worry about how much alcohol yo would be bringing or cheap meds. :) I think the perfume will be fine. BUT that is just me....

Just make sure you have your passports up to date, but thinking it won't be an issue.

Seconding Numanoid, I"m sure there are those here who know much more than I do, but we just visited Toronto last month to give you a flavor. We entered Canada via Michigan, left via NY. And, our border crossings can be interesting (ha!) because my husband is a brown person with a non-US passport. The questions were the Why are you coming, why did you come, where are you staying, etc variety, and some interest in whether we bought anything significant, especially traveling with (drinking) alcohol. I vote for keeping the BPAL with you, too. Good luck moving! :)

Anytime I've border crossed by car it's the usual questions regarding reasons for visit, length of stay and so forth. They're going to ask about alcohol, sometimes we get asked about fruit (I don't know why this is a concern) and I've been asked about weapons.

Coming back into the country it's what did we spend, anything to declare, any alcohol etc.

I don't think you're going to have any problems from your collection. :)

Safe travels and good luck with your move.

I can't imagine any issue. I moved from New York to Vancouver and itemized my entire collection on our manifest of belongings, and it wasn't remotely a question. I just traveled to and from the States to visit family with about 12 bottles, and nobody cared. Don't give it another thought!

Ok so I feel a little better...thanks all! Seems like it won't be an issue. Just hope I have room in my car now, lol.

One other question...do I tell them I have the oils or wait until they ask me?

Don't even mention them, they're nothing that Customs is concerned about so you don't need to declare them. In the (extremely unlikely) event that they searched your vehicle they would ask you what they were, you would explain, and that would be the end of it.

They only care about weapons, agricultural products, and large sums of money. Bpal is safe, thank goodness! :wub3:

Just to update everyone. I took my BPALs through the border and all was well. Just packed them up nicely and stuck them under my car seat. They made it safe and I'm so happy I took them with me instead of shipping them. ;)

Has anyone travelled with Hair Glosses? Wanting to bring a couple to Mexico from Canada in a couple of days.

I travel with hair gloss decants often. I bought a bunch of 2 oz. amber glass mist sprayers, and use those. They've never leaked, in my carry-on or in a checked bag.

A decant of red shirt diaries and a decant of snake charmer hair gloss never leave my toiletry kit. They are just in the small 1oz spray bottles you can get from Target that cost 79 cents.

I just returned from a trip to Italy. I put about two dozen imps in a small metal case and put it in my unchecked suitcase. It wasn't noticed outgoing or on the return. I had room in my zipper bag in case it got noticed but no one batted an eyelash.

I just returned from a trip to Italy. I put about two dozen imps in a small metal case and put it in my unchecked suitcase. It wasn't noticed outgoing or on the return. I had room in my zipper bag in case it got noticed but no one batted an eyelash.

This. I've traveled with imps before and they tend not to be an issue. I leave bottles mostly at home.

I have a little 10-space wooden aromatherapy box that I use for traveling with my bottles. There's some space in the top, enough for bottles to fall out of their slots if the box gets turned upside-down, so I pad it with a folded piece of soft cloth so they don't move. And then I travel with the box flat on the bottom of my purse I carry on so it won't tilt. I don't take any chances

Not sure if anyone can help me but........ I am a flight attendant. I fly international. I actually get 3-4 hours of rest in bunks in the ceiling of the plane. I was wanting to bring a 5ml bottle with me to use for relaxation during this time. So..... no plumbers tape. It would be a bottle that I actually opened and closed during the flight. I would keep it in a baggie in case it leaked but I really don't want to deal with my work luggage, manuals, electronics getting covered in a scent. So leaking into the baggie is a worst case situation.

Any frequent travelers travel with just one 5ml bottle in the main cabin and maybe occasionally in cargo and been able to use them without leaking. I want to have a 5ml bottle with me for use and enjoy not just sealed up for transport.

Thanks.

I always travel internationally with oils. However for flights, I use a bottle with a reducer cap, because I find an open mouthed bottle can be too dodgy with sudden turbulence. Also, I choose skin scents for the plane so as not to bother fellow passengers in case they are sensitive. I never use imps in transit, because I am not up to imp wrangling on a crowded flight.I find smelling my wrist very comforting for those long trans-pacific hauls.

ETA I transport a lot if bottles in checked luggage. BPALs have never leaked. Knock on wood.

Edited by Minh Scent

Hey all,

I am moving in a few days and I am not sure what to do with my BPAL/BPTP collection. I mostly have kept them in boxes or containers in my closet currently but I am moving very little and leaving via plane. So i need to either ship it all via a carrier service or put my collection in my checked luggage. I dont have time to individually wrap all the bottles but i was thinking if i put them in containers like they are now and maybe stuff in paper towels or something to keep them from moving around and then if they are padded by clothes on the outside maybe they will be fine? =/ im worried about how they might toss around luggage bags though..bleh...also on a budget and still need to ship my desktop PC and clothes so cant spend a ton on shipping all my babies.

Hey all,

I am moving in a few days and I am not sure what to do with my BPAL/BPTP collection. I mostly have kept them in boxes or containers in my closet currently but I am moving very little and leaving via plane. So i need to either ship it all via a carrier service or put my collection in my checked luggage. I dont have time to individually wrap all the bottles but i was thinking if i put them in containers like they are now and maybe stuff in paper towels or something to keep them from moving around and then if they are padded by clothes on the outside maybe they will be fine? =/ im worried about how they might toss around luggage bags though..bleh...also on a budget and still need to ship my desktop PC and clothes so cant spend a ton on shipping all my babies.

I took my 30ish bottle collection overseas, and I used plumber's tape and bubble wrap to make sure the 20+ hr journey was going to be okay. Since you don't have time, technicallly, packing everything in securely with foam or something should be okay, but I would definitely recommend taping up any bottles whose oil you'd miss. If I recall, the plumber's tape was an easy find at Wal*Mart.

Take care travelling!

Does anyone keep BPAL in their purse/pocket/backpack/saddle bag/fanny pack/Bag of Holding? Any tips or tricks that can keep me from potential disaster? I suppose imps would be the wisest option, but I don't have any empty ones.

I do! I usually put each bottle in a tiny baggie so leakage won't be as damaging if it happens, and make sure I put it in the tray thing next to my purse when I go through security.

You could also use plumber's tape as an added precaution if you want.

Edited by Vashtya

Apologies I'm sure this is somewhere out there, but I couldn't find a recent thread, so here goes.

I'm flying for the first time in years at the end of the week, and I realize I've never tried to fly with BPAL before. 

Has anyone had any issues with TSA confiscating perfume, or bringing perfume in carry on luggage? I was just going to do a handful of imps in case anything happened, but I realize unlabeled oil might cause some complications haha. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!