Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
helarctos

Traveling with BPAL

I went in December 2008! It was still hot (like in the 80s or maybe even 90s, I think), but I'm a lifelong Pacific Northwesterner, so we have a different take on what qualifies as "hot." I went heavy on the Mad Tea Party section. I took a couple of Yules as well (I can't wear Gaoler's Daughter now due to a horrible weather-caused flight experience coming home) as well, but what I really remember is wearing Cheshire Cat (that was the day my sixty-year-old father decided to do something that would have gotten us kicked out of the park and Pirates of the Caribbean shut down for the rest of the day if he had been caught, but it was a sort of Mom's-dying-wish sort of thing).

As for traveling with them, that time, I used an ammo box (and I did have to open that for TSA so they could see it was *perfume* and not *bullets*, but I had expected that), but now I use a mint tin in a zippered baggie (just in case it pops open), whether it's on a plane, in my car, or just across town on the bus (and when I'm questioned, I call them "aromatherapy oils"). I can cram something like two dozen in there, if I recall correctly. But I would suggest only taking a few -- maybe one for each park and one extra for fancy going-out-at-night if you're doing that -- because it's going to be easier to lock down memories if you keep scent consistent. Then whenever you use that oil in the future, you will remember that day/park better. But then I'm OCD, and I need structure for things like this, so your mileage may vary.

(Side note: When I was in college, I had a friend who made up her own meanings for acronyms, so to this day, I prefer to type them all out because I can just *hear* her: "YMMV" = "you make me vomit.")

I went in December 2008! It was still hot (like in the 80s or maybe even 90s, I think), but I'm a lifelong Pacific Northwesterner, so we have a different take on what qualifies as "hot." I went heavy on the Mad Tea Party section. I took a couple of Yules as well (I can't wear Gaoler's Daughter now due to a horrible weather-caused flight experience coming home) as well, but what I really remember is wearing Cheshire Cat (that was the day my sixty-year-old father decided to do something that would have gotten us kicked out of the park and Pirates of the Caribbean shut down for the rest of the day if he had been caught, but it was a sort of Mom's-dying-wish sort of thing).

As for traveling with them, that time, I used an ammo box (and I did have to open that for TSA so they could see it was *perfume* and not *bullets*, but I had expected that), but now I use a mint tin in a zippered baggie (just in case it pops open), whether it's on a plane, in my car, or just across town on the bus (and when I'm questioned, I call them "aromatherapy oils"). I can cram something like two dozen in there, if I recall correctly. But I would suggest only taking a few -- maybe one for each park and one extra for fancy going-out-at-night if you're doing that -- because it's going to be easier to lock down memories if you keep scent consistent. Then whenever you use that oil in the future, you will remember that day/park better. But then I'm OCD, and I need structure for things like this, so your mileage may vary.

(Side note: When I was in college, I had a friend who made up her own meanings for acronyms, so to this day, I prefer to type them all out because I can just *hear* her: "YMMV" = "you make me vomit.")

Would I be over-stepping my bounds to ask what this "thing" he did was? ;)

Would I be over-stepping my bounds to ask what this "thing" he did was? ;)

Nah. I think I actually told this story on the forum shortly after it happened, so I didn't think anyone would care now. It requires a little backstory: My mom passed away in 2002, and she was cremated. Some of her ashes were buried in her family's plot, and my dad, my brother, and I each have some as well. Before she passed away, she had told Dad that he was to take the family (my brother, his wife, their kids, and me) to Disney World when the boys were old/tall enough to go on *all* of the rides. That turned out to be in 2008 (my sister-in-law had *just* found out she was something like two months pregnant when Mom died). I'm actually not sure whether this was Dad's idea or Mom's request, but he took some of her ashes and had planned on sprinkling them by the Haunted Mansion, but he couldn't find what he considered to be the *right* spot, so we went on Pirates of the Caribbean, which I considered to be the right spot because that was her absolute favorite ride at Disneyland (I was actually confused why he had picked the Haunted Mansion aside from the ghost theme, and I guess that was in fact the sole reason he had picked that spot. *So glad* he changed his mind because that was *not* right for my mom). He had a little pill bottle with some of her ashes, and he, my brother, and I each sprinkled some into the water over the side of the boat on the ride just as you pass under Davy Jones in the mist (absolutely the right spot for Mom).

Lots and lots and lots of people scatter ashes at Disneyland. So many try to do it from the buggies in the Haunted Mansion that they have established procedures for dealing with it. Basically: there are video cameras that watch you, and the instant they spot someone doing it, they stop the ride, eject the culprits, and come out with the vacuum cleaners. So I don't think it's such a great final wish if you know that you're just going to be vacuumed up within sixty seconds.

Maybe Disneyland should do what some other place with ash-scattering problems have done: turn a negative into a positive, and actually establish a columbarium somewhere on the grounds and sell niches. There are sports stadiums (yes!) and golf courses (really!) that have done this. Sure, it wouldn't stop people who want to scatter ashes *because* it's illicit, but I think plenty of people would take advantage of a legitimate alternative.

That's so funny because I want my ashes scattered at Disney World in the moat by Cinderella's Castle. There's a beautiful viewing spot that's actually a smoking section to the side of it and that's where I would want it. I think my family would be devastated if they found out I want to be cremated though...

I guess I should steer things back on topic. Any other suggestions or creative ways to travel with your BPAL? Or any suggestions on what scents seem fitting for Disney World in December? Thanks!

I put a couple bottles and a few imps into a little black, velvet bag and threw it in with the rest of my toiletries in a sealed plastic bag. It went through check-in just fine, but something leaked nooooo nooo no no. I can't even tell which one's the culprit! They all look innocently sealed and at the correct level, but my labels are ruined. They're all bottles and imps that are never leaving my hands but I am mourning my Snow White '08 and Tamamo-no-Mae. They both look deep fried.

Edited by tealight

Imps I slip into my wallet, and bottles I'll either pack into something small and squishy like my Beats case, or a mouse case. That way they're all padded and happy. I've never found a need to transport a large quantity, but if I did it would involve lots of padding (probably wadding from the fabric store), and tight packing to make sure they don't jump around.

Hello! I am planning on studying abroad in Ireland this coming semester and want to bring some bottles with me for the few months I will be there. However, I have traveled by plane in the past year and brought a bottle with a wand cap along with me and even though I used plumber's tape it definitely leaked in it's ziploc bag. Do any of you have tips for transporting bottles with wand caps? Nearly all of my bottles have wand caps and I really don't want them to leak if I travel with them. For reference I had my bottle in my hand luggage with my liquids. Thanks everyone!

Ciaobonefish-

Wandcapped bottles do tend to leak. Perhaps you could try using the plumbers tape the way the plumber does. Wrap a bit on the bottle thread while the cap is off prior to screwing the lid on tightly. Then a little more plumbers tape afterwards? I actually prefer using electrical tape, but that'd be too thick to wrap the thread. Be careful removing the lid so that no little stringy bits fall in the bottle. I've received leak-free decants of massage oil from decanters who did it that way.

I hope your stay in Ireland is amazing!!!

Ciaobonefish-

Wandcapped bottles do tend to leak. Perhaps you could try using the plumbers tape the way the plumber does. Wrap a bit on the bottle thread while the cap is off prior to screwing the lid on tightly. Then a little more plumbers tape afterwards? I actually prefer using electrical tape, but that'd be too thick to wrap the thread. Be careful removing the lid so that no little stringy bits fall in the bottle. I've received leak-free decants of massage oil from decanters who did it that way.

I hope your stay in Ireland is amazing!!!

Oh, thanks for the tip! I didn't think of using plumber's tape that way! I'm probably going to try to only bring a few bottles with me, and probably GCs so I don't have to fret too much about leaking bottles and messy labels. I'm super excited about Ireland and thanks for the well wishes :D

Huh. Seems like others have had bad experiences with bottles that have been sealed that way...

And now for a PSA, brought to you by an extremely sad arlith....

If you buy a bottle of bath oil second hand, you should ask them not to seal the inside of the bottle. Just tape on the outside. Also, if the bottle is sealed on the inside (by plastic wrap or some other method), remove it as soon as possible. It will ruin your bottle of oil...instead of a lovely bottle of Tricksy, you will have a bottle of sticky, skunky ass. In fact, you will have 5 bottles of it. And no more Tricksy.

It took me a long time to figure out what had gone wrong with my bottles. Out of the 8 I managed to scrounge up, I ended up with 5 bottles that are so horrible that I have to throw them away. I inventoried my remaining bottles, and finally figured out the issue. When I got them, I just happily put them away in my cupboard without checking them out first.

Edit: My story is so very sad, that I believe it means Tricksy should come back. I spent a lot of time and money collecting the bottles, and now they're all ruined.

Plumbers tape on the threads might be ok. My problem was with plastic wrap put over the mouth of the bottle, then the lid put on top. I don't think the plumber's tape on the threads would actually touch the oil in the bottle, the way the plastic wrap would. Especially if you just put it on the screw threads that were furthest away from the opening.

Might be worth a try with a partial bottle of something you don't like, to test it. It really sucks to lose a lot of stuff.

Also, the plastic was on my bottles of bath oil for a long time, months even, before I opened them. Possibly over a year on some of them.

It really sucks to lose a lot of stuff.

I can't imagine. It gave me a sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach just reading about it. I'm so sorry :(

eta-

I have also received decants sealed with finger cots (miniature finger condoms) under the caps. Bath oils and massage oils, too. I purchased them all aged & second hand from the same seller on LJ. I actually thought it was a brilliant idea, as none of them leaked. None of them smelled off to me with one possible exception. That one was in a semi-soft squeezable plastic squirt bottle. It was half-full and misshapen. I still believe the slightly altered scent was due to the ancient container, not the finger cot. That said, I did remove all of the finger cots the night the package arrived.

Edited by arsinoe9

Hmmmm. Do you guys know of any good place to purchase normal bottle caps for BPAL bottles? I'm considering purchasing caps without wands for travel purposes because I will be gone for over three months and I do want to bring a couple of bottles with me. Last time, I traveled with Lambs-Wool 2009 and the oil got over a lot of random things I had in my clear liquids bag, and I have not been able to wear it since because it reminds me of traveling and airplanes and just overall exhaustion. I'd rather not that happen again! Thanks again for everyone's feedback. I really appreciate it!

Hmmmm. Do you guys know of any good place to purchase normal bottle caps for BPAL bottles? I'm considering purchasing caps without wands for travel...

Hope I'm not leading you on a wild goose chase, but I'd suggest scanning through this thread:

http://www.bpal.org/topic/45993-bottles-containers-and-supplies/

Also, perhaps you could email customer service at the Lab? Explain your dilemma and ask which supplier they use. They might not tell you, but it wouldn't hurt to try.

I'm just updating on how my traveling went with my bottles! I ended up bringing 9 bottles with me, 5 of which were in reducer caps (not BPAL bottles) which traveled perfectly fine but I used plumbers tape on the outside of the bottles just in case. The other 4 bottles were BPAL and I ended up swapping out their wand caps for the normal bottle caps (I found some lying around that I hadn't thrown out and cleaned them really well before swapping them with the wand caps). I made sure the caps were on very tightly and wrapped the exterior with plumbers tape tightly. Finally I separated the bottles into groups of three and put them in three separate zip lock bags and secured those well. Finally I put the three packets into my quart sized ziplock bag to carry on with me. I arrived in Ireland with no spills or leaks or anything :D

I'm just updating on how my traveling went with my bottles!...I arrived in Ireland with no spills or leaks or anything :D

Yay! I hope you acclimate quickly. I also hope your stay in Ireland is everything you hope it will be and more. I'm so excited for you.

The oils you've taken with you, especially the ones in heavy rotation for the first few weeks, will be like a magic time machine for you two years from now. They'll bypass your brain & go straight to your subconscious, allowing you to relive the excitement of how "alive" you feel right now :)

In a couple months I'm going to be flying to an international convention for my profession. I usually carry 5 or fewer imps in a velvet bag when flying, but... the board of directors within my specialty have commented on how I always smell so good, and have asked me to bring a sampling of the many flavors of BPAL to have a nighttime sniffie party.

Which ones to bring for a good "intro-to" is another post altogether, but I'm mostly concerned about being able to fly with them. I usually fly with just one carry-on and nothing checked, so I'm wondering if a couple of ammo-cases of imps and decants might pose a problem with airport security.

Does anyone have experience flying with BPAL or guidance on how I should do it? Thank you!!

How many imps are we talking...50, 100, more? If it's much more I am sure this would break the 3-1-1 rule, so you may have to place them in checked luggage. Checked luggage, fragile little imps...would not be worth it to me.

I don't have experience with bpal specifically, but I have definitely had trouble with anything remotely liquid-like that wasn't contained in the standard quart size ziploc. Based on my experience, I can't imagine they would let you take ammo boxes full of imps in a carry-on. I would check the baggage, and not take anything that's difficult to replace.

Edited by Riezky

In a couple months I'm going to be flying to an international convention for my profession. I usually carry 5 or fewer imps in a velvet bag when flying, but... the board of directors within my specialty have commented on how I always smell so good, and have asked me to bring a sampling of the many flavors of BPAL to have a nighttime sniffie party.

Which ones to bring for a good "intro-to" is another post altogether, but I'm mostly concerned about being able to fly with them. I usually fly with just one carry-on and nothing checked, so I'm wondering if a couple of ammo-cases of imps and decants might pose a problem with airport security.

Does anyone have experience flying with BPAL or guidance on how I should do it? Thank you!!

I think you could pack quite a few imps in the plastic bag that you are allotted in a carry on.

as to how many, I think that depends on how many people would be attending the sniffie party. 5? 20?

I'd likely bring gc's as then there's no worry if any get lost and if you bring in new bpal recruits those are nice and easy for them to find. people may fall in love and you'll find yourself compelled to gift away some imps, so then you'll have an easier time replacing your stock if needed.

I'd bring a mix of what you personally like, a few oddball scents and a few classic scents to show the range. also if there's a scent that you've noticed smells dramatically different on different people, you could bring that to show how oils scents shift with the wearer. also I'd bring some somniums and annoint everyone before you go off to sleep.

Thank you guys! I think I can do the quart sized restriction- and definitely at least mostly GCs. So... probably skip the ammo cases, and stick with- perhaps the small baggies I use for frimping. I'm pretty sure I have most to all of the GCs on hand at this point, so I can have a lot of options- and yes... all the frimps will definitely happen there. I'm looking at anywhere from 10 to 40 people- we'll have a grand old time! and there will be BPAL converts at a medical convention *laughs*

I've flown internationally with 5mLs - individual baggies for them all in my bigger bag with my other liquids. Learned that lesson the hard way.

Seriously, though, Canada (2x) and Qatar had NO problems with either. I was the designated detainee once, and they asked. Said perfume, and they let me go.

New Tip! (I think, new to me anyway...)

If you're travelling by car or if you want to give a friend a few imps to take home with them, a great, (& cheap!) impromptu imp carrier can be created by putting a cardboard cozie inside a paper coffee cup, curling it a bit like a "C." It should create a crescent between the cozy and the inside of the cup that's just wide enough to hold a few imps upright even if the cup tips.