Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
helarctos

Traveling with BPAL

Thanks for the advice, azurephoenix and sunshinedaisybliss! I will have to keep those in mind. I have just arrived in Tokyo and am horribly jetlagged, waiting for my final connection... But I will definitely keep your tips in mind! (I think I already said that... sooooooo tired)

Also, I should mention I have one of the lab's vevet baggies stuffed to the brim with imps (at least 20) in my carry-on luggage, and nobody has given it a second glance. It is sealed with my liquids in a quart size bag.

Hello sweethearts,

I need some good advise. I'm moving from the Netherlands to South Africa in the beginning of january, by plane. And of course I'll be taking BPAL with me!

What I'm talking about are imps/decants, bottles, and atmosphere sprays and massage oils.

Now, I'm scared as hell that something will leak, especially things like my beloved Cake Smash v6, for example! I'm seriously considering taking all the imps/decants and bottles in my hand luggage in the plastic bag, wrapped with plumbers tape and bubble wrap. Talking about 20 bottles and the same amount of imps or so.

But the BPTP isn't allowed in hand luggage since it's volume exceeds the maximum 100 ml per bottle. So I need to put those in the check-in luggage. What is the best to protect these from leaking?

Please, help my collection move safely!

:hug:

I would start with packing the BTPT items the same way the lab ships them- packing tape wrapped over the lid and then around the lid to keep it from rotating open. I would put each item in a separate, thick zip-lock plastic bag. I would then put everything in a sturdy box filled with lots of bubble wrap, so the items don't get crushed. Good luck with your move!

Hello sweethearts,

I need some good advise. I'm moving from the Netherlands to South Africa in the beginning of january, by plane. And of course I'll be taking BPAL with me!

What I'm talking about are imps/decants, bottles, and atmosphere sprays and massage oils.

Now, I'm scared as hell that something will leak, especially things like my beloved Cake Smash v6, for example! I'm seriously considering taking all the imps/decants and bottles in my hand luggage in the plastic bag, wrapped with plumbers tape and bubble wrap. Talking about 20 bottles and the same amount of imps or so.

But the BPTP isn't allowed in hand luggage since it's volume exceeds the maximum 100 ml per bottle. So I need to put those in the check-in luggage. What is the best to protect these from leaking?

I would start with packing the BTPT items the same way the lab ships them- packing tape wrapped over the lid and then around the lid to keep it from rotating open. I would put each item in a separate, thick zip-lock plastic bag. I would then put everything in a sturdy box filled with lots of bubble wrap, so the items don't get crushed. Good luck with your move!

Hello sweethearts,

Thank you so much for the tips!

What kind of tape would be best? Scotch? Plumbers? Electrical? Something different?

I just flew in the U.S. with my entire collection. (About 50 bottles and tons of imps. I wanted to share the awesomeness with my mom and sister.) Here's what I did = I put my 15 or favorite bottles in a zip lock bag in my carry-on. That way they would always be on my person. This was the bag of "liquids" that TSA allows you. I just pulled the ziplock bag out of my carry-on and sent it through the x-ray with my coat and shoes. No problem.

The rest of the bottles were bubble wrapped securely and put in a plastic box in my checked bag along with my imps, which were in ammo boxes. Here's the key--I put labels on each box that said "Bath oil samples." This was pretty important as my luggage was opened and searched. A TSA guy even asked me what they were. Once I said, "Oh, just essential oil, like citrus oil" in a kind of off-hand manner, he just said "oh, huh" and went back to looking at the x-ray. I think if you give the TSA people a label for the oil that they will understand, you are good. It's the mystery that gets you in trouble.

I've traveled a lot internationally, and as long as the security people had a simple explanation for my weird stuff, they didn't blink an eye. (And I followed the rule about all carry-on liquids fitting in one quart-sized ziplock bag. Don't try to push this one, even if you have gotten away with a gallon-sized before. It can come back to bite you.)

Random discovery: an old Game Boy game case makes a perfect imp-case!

photo1_zpse84cfd73.jpg

photo2_zps80ab2cd3.jpg

Edited by gelfling

Random discovery: an old Game Boy Advance game case makes a perfect imp-case!

Now I need to find a source for old (I'm assuming out-dated?) Game Boy cases that are sans game! ;)

Hello! I'll be flying to Disney World this year and was wondering how you travel by plane with your BPAL imps. With TSA's crack down on liquids, I wasn't sure how many I could bring without looking like a bomber and the best way to store them in my carry-on luggage to prevent bursting, leaking, rattling, breaking, etc. Thanks! (And yes, the title is totally sounds like Snakes on a Plane, lol)

ETA: Not related, but I'm also having fun planning out what I want to wear while we're there ;) Also taking suggestions on what scents remind you of Disney World or the Christmas season as we'll be going in December.

Edited by FriedaLove

I don't travel with imps, just three or four 5 ml bottles. Each bottle goes in its own sandwich-sized Ziplock bag, then those bags get rolled up tight and put into my "one, quart-sized, zip-top bag," which then gets tossed on the top of my carry-on bag's contents (except when it gets taken out for the actual security screening).

:rofl: :clap: :loveya:

On the question at hand, unless they're doing full body scans, I've put the bottles in my pocket, in my luggage, etc. with no problem. Have you flown that way before or do you know what security is like at your terminals? The safest way is to put them in your luggage well wrapped, but I've walked through terminals with several bottles in my pockets. Once I think I was asked about one, but I opened it up, the TSA agent sniffed appreciatively and that was that. It's perfume, not explosives. I do cringe at the thought of somebody over-enthusiastically dumping a rare 5ml, but...

Imps are perfectly legal. If you want to be totally on the up-and-up, put them into your 1-quart baggie with your other liquids. I'm a flight attendant and I ALWAYS have imps with me. I have yet to have one leak, but if you're concerned about that at all, just use a tiny baggie for them.

The Lab offers many lovely "Imp cases" for sale and they're beautifully decorated! But really, those are simply condom cases, which you can buy elsewhere, too, and they hold about five imps. :D

*confusedly looking for the "Like" button for the Imps On A Plane graphic*

Samuel L. Jackson packs imps! Granted they are a little larger than the standard size, but then he is Samuel L. Effing Jackson, and if he wants big imps, he GETS big imps.

I've had essential oil bottles challenged at airports in the past, so I'm a little sneaky with imps. I store my hand luggage BPAL inside an empty hand cream or hair gel tin lined with cotton wool pads, and put it in my ziplock. No one has ever queried it, but if they do, I'm just protecting imps against breakage. Basically, they still travel legally as liquids, but I don't get the questions. And I like reusing cute tins anyway!

Edited by Lyrical

I've taken bottles and imps in my quart bag in my carry on and no one has ever said a word to me. I carry the imps in a small plastic box to keep them together. I never check baggage and if I did, I'd never put BPAL in there. The only bottles I take are general catalog dupes tho. I'd never take limiteds.

No one's ever said a peep to me about bottles, loose imps, or even a quart bag full of imps.

Honestly, there's been more than one occasion when I forgot to take my baggie of travel-size liquids (shampoo, lotion, etc) and nobody said anything about it either. (but they DID open my *checked* luggage to examine a bottle of beer that was a gift...)

Not sure I can think of any scents that remind me of Disney World, since the one time I went was in Sept/Oct and it was blistering hot!! So I guess anything that smells like hot cement and cotton candy!! :lol: As for Christmas, for me, Orange Pumpkin Floss is so holidays for me!! I know it was released as a weenie (and I think it is still available on the Trading Post) but I so love it...just makes me want to decorate the house and build a fire!!! :)

When I went home for Christmas this year, I took a ton of BPAL with me. I wanted to introduce my mom and sister to the joys of scent. I had two ammo cases of imps and probably about 20 bottles in my suitcase in a plastic box. On each box I firmly taped a note that said "Bath Oil Samples" on it. I also had my favorite bottles (about 10) in the one-quart-ziplock bag in a carry-on. (I figured the notes would make sense to the TSA person. And maybe I'd appear like a traveling salesperson.) :D

That's exactly what happened. My luggage was opened on all the legs, but everything made it through. I had a TSA person take me aside and ask me what they were, but I just said very cheerfully, "Oh it's bath oil, you know, essential oil. Like lavender oil." This made sense to them. I never mentioned the word perfume, as I was afraid it would bring up the typical images of flammable liquid.

So, my advice? Take what you want and label it clearly!

I've just got a little tiny, plastic lined change purse (holds 3 bottles really snuggly, or a bunch of imps), that I throw mine in, and just sit in my carry on luggage. If I have a jumper or some such things in my bag, I'll put it in the middle of that, too. I've always found carry on full enough that my bag isn't going to do anything even mildly dangerous to any imps inside.

If I put it in my check-on luggage, then they go in a snaplock bag, and then that goes snapbang in the very middle of my clothes. Haven't had any leaks, smashes or issues.

Thanks for all the fast replies! I guess I must be over-thinking this.

I read on another thread that someone took like 5 or 6 imps with them and was taken into that little room for questioning. Our airport terminals make you walk through the full body scanner, take off your shoes, hand held scanner wand waved, the works so I was really worried about my precious oils being confiscated or missing my flight due to being held for questioning. (ETA: And my carry on luggage has been opened and searched about half the times I've flown).

I also kind of thought the air pressure change would make them leak but if you ladies haven't had an issue with it then I guess it's okay. Thanks!

Edited by FriedaLove

Not sure I can think of any scents that remind me of Disney World, since the one time I went was in Sept/Oct and it was blistering hot!! So I guess anything that smells like hot cement and cotton candy!! :lol: As for Christmas, for me, Orange Pumpkin Floss is so holidays for me!! I know it was released as a weenie (and I think it is still available on the Trading Post) but I so love it...just makes me want to decorate the house and build a fire!!! :)

Thanks for the suggestion! We've also only gone while it's hot. Once in September and every other time at the end of May for Star Wars Weekends. I'm very excited to go when it's cold and it'll be my daughter's first trip. She'll be getting her first haircut at the barber shop on Main Street in the Magic Kingdom. We're only going to two parks and spending the rest of the trip touring the resorts to look at the Christmas decorations.

I know I'm definitely bringing Pickled Imp because it smells exactly like Christmas on me. That was actually the very first thing I said to DH when I put it on. I'm thinking I should also bring something from The Mad Tea Party collection.

On a side note, the time in between Thanksgiving and Christmas is a fantastic time to go to Disney World. The lines are MUCH less! Sometimes the weather can be overcast or a little rainy, but I like that much more than blazing heat and long lines! Have a wonderful time!!

On a side note, the time in between Thanksgiving and Christmas is a fantastic time to go to Disney World. The lines are MUCH less! Sometimes the weather can be overcast or a little rainy, but I like that much more than blazing heat and long lines! Have a wonderful time!!

I know! That's what everyone raves about on the Disney Vacation Club forum I'm on, it's why I chose that time. The first two weeks of December are one of the most sought after and difficult times to book with points for those of us who are DVC members. I was very excited when I got the time I wanted, the second week of December at Bay Lake Tower. I'm fine with the rain. When DH and I went for our honeymoon, it ended up raining half the day every single day of our trip.