Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
helarctos

Traveling with BPAL

I was thinking more flying and airport security. It's getting so they won't allow you to have any liquids in your baggage.

They won't? I checked the TSA site and it says "Air travelers may now carry liquids, gels and aerosols in their carry-on bag when going through security checkpoints" (with size limits), so if anything they seem to be getting less strict. There was no reference at all to limits on checked baggage, unless the liquid is flammable. So I don't think you need to worry.

Does BPAL count as flammable? Airport Security tends to vary from airport to airport. Some of them will wave you by, others will get iffy about it. :/

OH well, I guess I'll find out on the way back from LA...

I was thinking more flying and airport security. It's getting so they won't allow you to have any liquids in your baggage.

They won't? I checked the TSA site and it says "Air travelers may now carry liquids, gels and aerosols in their carry-on bag when going through security checkpoints" (with size limits), so if anything they seem to be getting less strict. There was no reference at all to limits on checked baggage, unless the liquid is flammable. So I don't think you need to worry.

Does BPAL count as flammable? Airport Security tends to vary from airport to airport. Some of them will wave you by, others will get iffy about it. :/

OH well, I guess I'll find out on the way back from LA...

You should probably make sure to put them in a plastic bag inside your carryon as well-- like a ziploc-- just in case they ask you to show them to them. From what I recall, sometimes the security people will ask to see liquids, etc. Whatever you do, don't just say "perfume" because that implies perfumer's alcohol content, and that's a definite no-go. One thing to keep in mind is that they're natural perfumes, and so have no alcohol content. :) To quote breadwoman, further up the thread

But at the security check, they will have to be in the 'toiletries' zip-loc bag instead.

This is pretty normal for US airports at the moment, sooo...

Another thing to keep in mind is that USPS allows BPAL to be shipped airmail, which is not acceptable for perfumes with alcohol content (because of the flash point, etc.) so apparently they consider it non-flammable. Not that this guarantees anything as far as the airport, but technically they are essential oils.

Here's the liquids-specific guidelines for the US.

http://www.tsa.gov/311/index.shtm

Looks like as long as the containers are less than 3 oz, and all fit into one 1-quart ziploc, it can go in carry-ons. (shouldn't be a problem for BPAL!) and over that amount should go in checked baggage.

(It looks like this system is also in place in Australia, which should make things a bit simpler! -- http://www.tsa.gov/press/happenings/311_intl_acceptance.shtm )

Oh!!! and anything like nail clippers or pointy stuff needs to be in checked baggage.

Oh!!! and anything like nail clippers or pointy stuff needs to be in checked baggage.

Oh, and this I know only too well!

I've been forced to discard perfectly good stuff because I forgot that I had my Swiss Army knife, or my manicure set with me. *grr*

I've done lots of travelling in the US and internationally in the last five years, so I know all about the TSA 3-1-1 policy. I simply wasn't sure about the qualification of 'essential oils' vs. perfume. Thanks for the info, though, R!

I've taken BPALs in both imps and bottles on the plane for domestic and international flights, but always in my "liquids" ziplock. I've never had a problem with them. The imps were in my metal imp case and did not cause the TSA or security to blink at all. This transportation method has worked in South Africa and China in terms of international.

My contact lens solution did get busted by Chinese security officers, but I made a lot of noise about it being medicine and they let it through.

We're moving to Hawaii! I'm *soo* excited! Just a small glitch in transporting my large BPAL collection.

We're having a moving company take the contents of our house in a 40' container, truck it from PA to CA and then it'll go on a freighter. In 30 - 45 days it'll arrive in Hilo, HI. I don't want to pack the BPAL in the container because there is no temperature regulation. It could (and probably will) become pretty warm inside the container and I store my bottles in a dark, consistant temp. I've considered using massive amts. of bubble wrap and putting them in a suitcase and checking them at the airport, but I cringe thinking of all the times I've looked out the plane windows and seen the baggage dudes tossing the bags. However, that's the most reasonable way I can come up with. Does anyone have a better idea? Thanks for any hel

Edited by hellomoonglow

My favourite method of getting stuff from GER to the UK is having it shipped to me. MOST of the time it works, though beware, it lost all my imps when the Christmas package got lost.

When I moved from Seattle to North Carolina, angelfish323 and I spent several hours bubble-wrapping the hell out of all of my bottles, then packed them in a large box with yet more bubble-wrap. We also taped the necks of every last one of the buggers. Then I mailed them to myself in a box with a lot of insurance on it and only one out of >100 leaked a little. No breakage. :cheer:

I think the post office is more careful with parcels than the aircraft people are with baggage. I would mail them. And maybe in addition to all the bubble wrap, put them inside a plastic storage container, and then inside a box? That way there's a bit of extra protection against squishing...

Thanks for all the tips! I just don't know if I could mail all of them......that's scary! I was thinking of packing them into a suitcase, maybe in a plastic tub like Molls suggested.

I think the post office is more careful with parcels than the aircraft people are with baggage. I would mail them. And maybe in addition to all the bubble wrap, put them inside a plastic storage container, and then inside a box? That way there's a bit of extra protection against squishing...

Just a tiny voice of reason: USPS (your post office) uses the "aircraft people that handle your baggage" as a way to get your mail flown to destinations. I worked for Continental Airlines for 10 years and we always held the contract for USPS in that time - mostly because we were the cheapest bidder on the contract, resulting from the bankruptcies we went through in the 90's and...........government contracts are ALWAYS awarded to the cheapest bidder.

So, you won't see your parcels thrown around on the tarmac at the same time your baggage is loaded into the plane but these same employees are the ones responsible for loading the containers and bins of USPS parcels.

I agree with Molls that you should use double packaging - placing your bubble wrapped bottles within a plastic container to secure them. DH and I have moved all over the US with my collection in the last 6 years and if you can send your collection in pieces to someone in Hilo, that's the optimum solution. Nothing of mine has been broken this way. :D

If you package them in a suitcase, how do you plan on shipping them?

Well, I was thinking of checking the suitcase. Here's our plan: 6 yrs. ago we bought a ranch on the big island. There's no house on it, just land. We're going to drive our truck (pulling our 30' camper) to California and have both of them shipped via boat to the port in Hilo. It'll take between 30-45 days. After we get it there, we're going to live in the camper while the house is being built. It's an awesome adventure! The suitcase idea came in because we'll be actually flying from CA to HI. After reading the last post I'm thinking if I check the BPAL in the suitcase (wrapped crazy amts. of bubble wrap, packed inside a plastic Rubbermaid tub) then it'll be less of a journey for the BPAL than if I mailed it from PA to HI. Either that or I can pack it in the camper. The only thing with that idea is the problem of no consistancy in the temperature. Although, when the BPAL's are mailed to me there is no consistancy in temperature, either. And seriously, no one is going to throw around my camper, so maybe that's the safest idea after all. Who would've thought I'd put so much thought into this??? :blush:

Well, I was thinking of checking the suitcase. Here's our plan: 6 yrs. ago we bought a ranch on the big island. There's no house on it, just land. We're going to drive our truck (pulling our 30' camper) to California and have both of them shipped via boat to the port in Hilo. It'll take between 30-45 days. After we get it there, we're going to live in the camper while the house is being built. It's an awesome adventure! The suitcase idea came in because we'll be actually flying from CA to HI. After reading the last post I'm thinking if I check the BPAL in the suitcase (wrapped crazy amts. of bubble wrap, packed inside a plastic Rubbermaid tub) then it'll be less of a journey for the BPAL than if I mailed it from PA to HI. Either that or I can pack it in the camper. The only thing with that idea is the problem of no consistancy in the temperature. Although, when the BPAL's are mailed to me there is no consistancy in temperature, either. And seriously, no one is going to throw around my camper, so maybe that's the safest idea after all. Who would've thought I'd put so much thought into this??? :blush:

Bolded mine above because I've put this much thought into this (x3) as we've moved my collection 3 times across 10 states. :lol:

By checking your suitcase on the journey from CA to HI, you are controlling the consistency of your collection in the best way you can. Plus, you'll have plenty of time to wrap your bottles the way you want them on the road trip from PA to CA. Excellent idea and what I would have done in your case, as well from past experience. BRAVO! :clap:

First up, I am envious of you going on such an adventure to live on a big chunk of land like that in such a lovely place!!

Secondly.. I think you should send all your BPALs over to me, I'll look after 'em. Promise :thumbsup:

I think the idea of putting your bottles inside one of the vehicles that will be travelling over (the truck or the camper) is an excellent solution. If you packed the bottles up super safe, and locked them in the glove compartment or some other hiding spot like a cupboard in the camper, I really think they'd be quite happy in there. Temperature changes might be an issue, but you could always pack them inside a foam box or something so they're well insulated.

And I'm guessing carrying them on the plane with you, in your hand luggage, is not an option? I'm not sure of the restrictions that apply for that kind of thing nowadays in your part of the world, but maybe you could talk to the airline about getting permission to carry them with you if you explained that it was a valuable collection?

Hey sunshinedaisybliss! If only you lived in Hawaii instead of Australia, I'd gladly send them to you AND I'd have a friend out there to boot! I would LOVE to bring them w/ me on the plane, but I think the TSA would be totally freaked out by that many bottles. It would definetely violate the 3-1-1 rule! LOL. I'm torn between locking them in the camper (surrounded by foam, great idea) or putting them in the suitcase. I need to think on it a while. I'll post when I make my decision, and again when we arrive and I check out how they traveled so other people can benefit from my experience - good or bad. Fingers crossed it's good!!!!

How awesome! Alooooohaaaa! ;)

I'm thinking that the suitcase thing is better than packing it into your camper, because it will be with you longer and you'll be able to control the temperature of your bottles a bit better. In a camper I would think there's a better chance of it being subjected to extreme temperatures.. like a car on a hot day with the windows rolled up?

I'd totally offer for you to mail them to me.. but unfortunately I'm on another island. So just to get them back to you would require more mailing. >.<

On the plus side, you might get some really great deals on construction work because the economy is slow.. and the big island even more so.

I have brought BPAL 5mls on the plane with me and had no problems with the TSA, but if your collection is larger than the 1qt. baggie then you will definitely have a problem... and the TSA will not make an exception even if it's valuable. I would say carry the most valuable bottles in your baggie (make sure those caps are closed tightly!) and then ship the rest in a parcel to someone in HI. If you can't do that, check the suitcase but make sure to have a complete list of what's inside!

Hey sunshinedaisybliss! If only you lived in Hawaii instead of Australia, I'd gladly send them to you AND I'd have a friend out there to boot! I would LOVE to bring them w/ me on the plane, but I think the TSA would be totally freaked out by that many bottles. It would definetely violate the 3-1-1 rule! LOL. I'm torn between locking them in the camper (surrounded by foam, great idea) or putting them in the suitcase. I need to think on it a while. I'll post when I make my decision, and again when we arrive and I check out how they traveled so other people can benefit from my experience - good or bad. Fingers crossed it's good!!!!

So I moved my 25 bottle collection from California to Russia about three months ago, and at first, I was super paranoid that a) my bottles would break and/or b ) my suitcase would be lost.

The lost suitcase situation was out of my hands, but I did try my best to make sure nothing could leak or break:

I wrapped each bottle in thin packing foam/plumber's tape, then put it in my bottle box. Then, I wrapped my box in the packing foam, and nestled the box against an edge in my suitcase, with a layer of shirts to protect it. I kept three of my favorite oils with me, wrapped in tape and foam and tucked in a ziplock.

All of my bottles made the journey, and last week, I went back to CA to visit the fam. I had ten bottles waiting for me, and this time, I didn't have all of the proper packaging with me, so I took a small usps box and wrapped my bottles in tissue paper--no tape, just paper, and when I closed the box I made sure nothing could move. This was definitely a more lax, cavalier way of doing things, but it got the job done, and my bottles were fine again.

So really, it's up to you. I didn't even consider temperature because either way, it would be on the plane with me and planes are usually cold, be it in the cabin or in the cargo area. :lol:

Hope my success stories help!

Edited by bluberyapulsaus

I'm moving to Sweden in less than two weeks and I'm not sure what to do with my 50+ bottles and pile of imps. I was originally going to put them in my checked luggage. Just bubble wrap and teflon tape the hell out of them. But all this talk about shipping is giving me second thoughts. I'm just worried about the parcel getting lost in the mail.

I think I'll risk it and keep my imps in my ammo box, and stick that in my checked baggage. It's the bottles that are worrying me.

Regarding the liquids ziploc baggy, I just bought a carry-on that comes with a ziploc, but it's a bit translucent. I wonder if it'll be good enough or they'll whine about it.

I recently moved overseas (from one side of the Pacific to the other), and took my jewellery box full of BPAL imps and bottles with me on the flight in check-in luggage. I barely did anything to secure them: I only filled the box interior with plenty of tissue paper (so that everything was snugly fitted and didn't jostle around) and then wrapped the box with rubber bands. Everything made it through a 20+ hour journey. A few imps did leak and a few adjacent labels were stained, but thankfully all of my bottles were fine. I didn't declare them at customs, but the customs form didn't ask for it). Still, don't tell anyone... :whistle:

I managed to get away with doing the absolute minimum *meeps* to secure my collection, but I don't own much (relatively speaking; ~20 bottles and about 150 imps) and felt that I could take the risk.

Just in case anyone does someday, I have flown from Dublin to Stockholm with 5 imps and two bottles - I wrapped them up in a redline-bag and just took them on carry-on.

That said, I've never encountered a european airport where bringing up to 100 ML was not allowed as long as they were sealed and safe.

I think that's in the EU rules even - not sure about that though.

I just flew through Baltimore, Dulles, Seattle, San Fransisco and San Diego - with no problem, and I had three 5ml bottles and about 20 imps in my plastic baggie.

I've only ever taken imps with me traveling, so I can't comment on bottles or massive stash relocations. But even on long international flights between Japan and the US, I've had no problem with leakage either checking them with my luggage, or taking them in a plastic baggie in my carry-on. Honestly I think sometimes I've had them floating around in my purse and forgotten to put them in a baggie, and still didn't have any trouble.

Edited by Hazel Dormouse

I'm on a journey to Japan at the moment and have unfortunately had some leakage, even though I've not yet made the international portion of the trip. I think the wandcaps maybe don't seal as tightly... I lost a 1/4 bottle of Leather Phoenix (it was only a half bottle to begin with...) and it got the labels of several of my other bottles goopy enough that they have fallen off, competely saturated with oil. Hopefully upon arrival I can attempt repairs. I've mopped up as best as I could (I had 6 5mls per sandwich baggie, so the damage was more limited than it could have been, but still disappointing).

The bath oils and atmos are harder to manage; I taped them up as well as I could with limited supplies, and double bagged. Two of the BO's leaked enough to be quite messy inside the bags, and an atmo or two dripped a bit. At least my suitcase and everything in it smells amazing, and my hotel room is absolutely infused with Leather Phoenix!!

ETA: I am moving my entire stash of 30+ bottles, 50ish imps, 3 or 4 each of bath oils and atmos.

Edited by braybrigade

I'm on a journey to Japan at the moment and have unfortunately had some leakage, even though I've not yet made the international portion of the trip. I think the wandcaps maybe don't seal as tightly... I lost a 1/4 bottle of Leather Phoenix (it was only a half bottle to begin with...) and it got the labels of several of my other bottles goopy enough that they have fallen off, competely saturated with oil. Hopefully upon arrival I can attempt repairs. I've mopped up as best as I could (I had 6 5mls per sandwich baggie, so the damage was more limited than it could have been, but still disappointing).

The bath oils and atmos are harder to manage; I taped them up as well as I could with limited supplies, and double bagged. Two of the BO's leaked enough to be quite messy inside the bags, and an atmo or two dripped a bit. At least my suitcase and everything in it smells amazing, and my hotel room is absolutely infused with Leather Phoenix!!

ETA: I am moving my entire stash of 30+ bottles, 50ish imps, 3 or 4 each of bath oils and atmos.

:( about all the leakage going on.

This tip might help with the bath oils:

Unscrew the cap and take off. Take a couple of layers saran wrap and lay it over the opening of the bottle and screw the cap back on. This should stop the leaking or reduce it alot. If you cant get saran wrap and you have an extra zip lock bag, you could could cut the bag and just use one layer to seal the top. Just make sure to have enough plastic to cover the opening and the neck of the bottle.. I'd guess at least a 3"x3" square.

aww braybrigade - what a bummer, but YAY for amazing-smelling luggage :)

Most of the serious leakage issues I've had have been with wand-capped bottles - I'm pretty sure they just don't seal as well as the regular caps, or at least that's been my experience. I try to avoid buying wand-capped bottles when I can - when buying on the forum, if the bottle says 'wand-capped' I ask if the seller has the original lid they could use instead. Not that any of this helps you now - but perhaps if you're travelling with your lovelies again, you could swap out the wand cap lids before you pack them up :smile:

Oh - and goopy labels.. thanks to the aforementioned leakage experiences, I've discovered that baby powder does a pretty good job of drying out badly soaked labels. Put a thick layer of powder on to a piece of paper or tissue, then gently put the bottle (or in your case, the label that's come off) on to the powder so that the entire label is completely coated in powder. After a few minutes, the powder on the label will start to soak up the oil.. when the powder gets clumpy, gently wipe it off and put a new layer of powder on. Keep repeating this until the powder comes away clean - the label may not be completely fixed, but it will definitely reduce the damage. Unfortunately I have no tips for how to re-attach the label to the bottle when it's been super glooped up - I think the oil melts the glue off, or at least weakens it, which makes it very difficult to make it stick to the glass again.