Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Nagi Mahe

God's Own Country

"Yes, it's still God's Own Country," said the announcer, a news reporter pronouncing the final tag line. "The only question is, which gods?"

Circuit boards, cathode rays, and exhaust ramming against frankincense, myrrh, soil, and blood.

This is the only scent in this range that I just can't get on with. I can smell the electrical parts... metallic and almost burnt out. I can also smell the incense and blood. But all these notes are turned to sludge with the soil note. It's not BPAL's usual fresh soil note, it is more a grey sludge.

I had high hopes for this one, but all i get is cold grey dirt and sludge. And i'm sure i smell dirty menthol in there somewhere :/ it also unfortunately has sticking power too, it won't wash off! This one is not for me.

Exhaust, resins, dirt, and blood. This one smells hot, scorched, dirty with soil and blood. It smells deserted and hopeless, and like rusted dreams. Medium throw and low wear length.

was curious if the circuit boards would be kindred to some of the notes I love in OLLA adam, but in fact, said note reminded me more of of the plastic note in OLLa Edge of doom, sans rosemary. instead there's almost a "lite" foresty waft caused by a pine-y bit of frankincense, some bloody dirt (dirty blood?) and myrrh. the exhaust puffs out in little bursts here and there. being fairly true, this is my least favorite note of this scent. the exhaust made America's New Gods hard for me to even test; instead I found myself instinctively gagging and gasping for air. fortunately said note is much much lighter in GOC. I do actually kinda love this blend, and ultimately find it quite wearable, but not sure if I'd reach for it enough to need a big bottle. leans quirky and unisex.

This is one of those rare fragrances that I put on my skin, leaned in to sniff, and recoiled in horror and had to choke back some vomit.
It smells maybe like when my uncle came to our house to hunt one summer and was skinning deer in the garage where my father usually worked on cars and did metalwork, and there was just this stench of blood and filth mixed with metal and grime. This is, to me, not like bpal's idealized blood note (not dragon's blood or red musk or blood musk), but like a strange, slaughtered scent and filth.
I have a really hard time smelling this at all. Maybe a little minty and antiseptic. A dirty hospital smell.

I can't stand this at all.

I tested this one last because it was the one that was most unappealing in the decant. And alas, that proved to be the case on the skin as well.

At first, I get a blast of, like... industrial citrus. I think it is backed by some clove-y blood? And then, AND THEN!? I smell like I fell into a vat of cumin, which coupled with the acidity, is godawful and a little vomit-y. I stuck it out, and the end result is cumin backed by some sort of metal note. So... evil taco?

This... I would not put on my skin again. :P 

Weird weird weird. I smell like blood and… spit? definitely smell dirt too. I feel like a debauched vampire who just had sex on some dirt and am now…. sniffing the back if a computer?? this one is so fucking ODD. i love it